Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danny Boy

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
Sound Quality Important?

If sound quality is a high priority, you need to check out Etymotic. They are sold at the Apple store as well as many other outlets. They are more expensive, and not worth the expense if you play compressed music, but if you play apple lossless (or other low compression formats) they make your music come alive.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
One bad thing about the M&M style earbuds.... Thanks to the same niece who enhaled the original earbud. (But didn't swallow it, just the fact it was in her mouth full of saliva...) I had to replace the ear tip on them. Easier said than done. I wound up getting some pretty awesome "Altec" ear buds. They, too, came with replacement ear tips. The first pair with ear tips, the replacements were too big for my ears. This time, I have several tips and I am thinking IF the same thing happens again and my niece goes psycho on me and starts to climb on me for some unkown reason. I'll just replace the lost ear tip one at a time rather both of them. :)

I like theese better anway because the bass really is boosted better! :)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
They're not pleasent sounding, when you use them to listen to your ipod. I would like to replace them. I don't know when. Though, I have two "particulars". I have very small ears and would like the ear phone to be able to fit into my ear and I would like the cable that allows them to work to be a few inches longer than the ear buds that came with the IPOD. Is this possible to have that kind of specification?

Thanks!
Perhaps it's advisable to pick an accurate title for your thread! What have you discovered about the earbuds? Nothing....you merely give your opinion/complaint about the length of the cable, and tell us how small your ear holes are. Please think before posting.....you discovered nothing,,,perhaps a better title would be, " my opinion on apple earbuds".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My son is an audiophile and can't say enough about his Thinksound Rain headphones, which are carved of wood.

http://www.thinksound.com/index.php

We had an issue with his first pair right after they came out, and the service we got from Thinksound was nothing short of spectacular. Instant, generous and beyond the call. They're in New Hampshire, so you're not dealing with some evanescent storefront in Bangalore, but with folks who might be your neighbors. (The kind of neighbors who're really helpful and there-when-you-need them!)

Recommended, both from an audio standpoint and from a customer-satisfaction standpoint. Plus, their headsets are freakin' gorgeous.

I looked them up online and must say they sound seriously tempting. Thanks for mentioning this as I had never heard of this company prior to reading your post and I like the look of what they produce and their wider eco-philosophy. I have also read online reviews of their products.

However, - the question where form and function sometimes fuse - as an audio device - are they really as good as you say?

Cheers

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
They're not pleasent sounding, when you use them to listen to your ipod. I would like to replace them. I don't know when. Though, I have two "particulars". I have very small ears and would like the ear phone to be able to fit into my ear and I would like the cable that allows them to work to be a few inches longer than the ear buds that came with the IPOD. Is this possible to have that kind of specification?

Thanks!

I'm not normally a Bose fan, but I do love their IE-2 buds. They fit my ear, and don't come out when doing stuff in the yard like the apple buds do.

They also make a version of them with the inline controls for iPhones.

They sound great. The IE-2s are usually around $90, and the MIE-2s about $116.

MassacrMan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
I bought these about 6 months ago and they sound fantastic and bass is very good. They are over the ear but a bit on the expensive side.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I bought these about 6 months ago and they sound fantastic and bass is very good. They are over the ear but a bit on the expensive side.
I think the ear pieces would be too big for my ears. I hope I can hang on to my original (with the current pair I have now) ear pieces for a long time. I have a large supply that came with them, too.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Might I recommend the "V-Moda Bass Freq" earbuds? They are under $20, have a ton of bass, sound decent, and are better than Skullcandy earbuds for sure. They aren't the greatest on durability, so as long as you take decent care for them they should be pretty good buds.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Might I recommend the "V-Moda Bass Freq" earbuds? They are under $20, have a ton of bass, sound decent, and are better than Skullcandy earbuds for sure. They aren't the greatest on durability, so as long as you take decent care for them they should be pretty good buds.

Thanks for this and everyone else, but the "Bliss" ones I bought to replace the "M&M" ones... had to, I couldn't buy ear tips to replace the lost tip. I know, it was wierd. I still have the original tips of the NEW earbuds on them, in fact, listening to them right now. I learned a few lessons. Only use the earbuds when my niece ISN'T attached to my hip and pulling the cords out of my ear. I have an ample supply of ear tips and will replace each tip seperatly as needed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.