Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Before anyone complains about this being here, I have been an iMac user for a long time now. The majority of my posts here on MR have been in the iMac section as well.

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered all the parts to build my own Windows desktop. I know, I should have at least waited until next month before I did, but I need something now and I was not going to be buying any of the current Macs. But while I have been checking this and other forums daily for bits of news on a *possible* refresh, it hit me. Why the hell am I revolving my life around a computer company? Especially one that doesn't seem to care enough about a loyal customers needs.

I am disappointed in the new iPhone, I am greatly disappointed in the new iOS update... and I could not be more disappointed in Apple's lack of respect for their non-mobile customers. Customers that have been using Macs for over 10 years. I also did not like Lion and think Mountain Lion is the worst version of OS X there is.

Combine all that with the fact that I just built a $1500 computer that will absolutely run circles in any configuration of a current iMac (and I am betting anything they are *possibly* about to release for that matter), and here we are.

I am not giving up on Apple completely. I will trial run this computer for a good half a year. If I really find it isn't for me, I can always sell the parts and return to the Mac fold... but for now, I just want to try something different.

Anyway, just my story of how Apple lost a potential iMac customer. I wholly expect the "cool story, bro"'s and the "good riddance" posts. But I just wanted to get it off my chest.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I think you take this stuff way too seriously. I'm not happy with Apple's focus on iJunk either, but it is what it is.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I take it just as seriously as anyone who is taking the time to post on a forum about their computer. Including yourself.

It is what it is, yes. I have a lot invested in the Apple infrastructure. Including peripherals, accessories, apps purchased, accounts set up. It isn't a very easy decision at this point, but I have found it is also a factor of preventing people from straying.

I also use my computers for school, work and play.

So yeah, when you combine all those factors, it is a decision to take seriously, imo.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Before anyone complains about this being here, I have been an iMac user for a long time now. The majority of my posts here on MR have been in the iMac section as well.

Yesterday I went ahead and ordered all the parts to build my own Windows desktop. I know, I should have at least waited until next month before I did, but I need something now and I was not going to be buying any of the current Macs. But while I have been checking this and other forums daily for bits of news on a *possible* refresh, it hit me. Why the hell am I revolving my life around a computer company? Especially one that doesn't seem to care enough about a loyal customers needs.

I am disappointed in the new iPhone, I am greatly disappointed in the new iOS update... and I could not be more disappointed in Apple's lack of respect for their non-mobile customers. Customers that have been using Macs for over 10 years. I also did not like Lion and think Mountain Lion is the worst version of OS X there is.

Combine all that with the fact that I just built a $1500 computer that will absolutely run circles in any configuration of a current iMac (and I am betting anything they are *possibly* about to release for that matter), and here we are.

I am not giving up on Apple completely. I will trial run this computer for a good half a year. If I really find it isn't for me, I can always sell the parts and return to the Mac fold... but for now, I just want to try something different.

Anyway, just my story of how Apple lost a potential iMac customer. I wholly expect the "cool story, bro"'s and the "good riddance" posts. But I just wanted to get it off my chest.

I gree with you my friend. Well said. I just don't see myself going to windows because I don't know what I hate the most windows or apple forgetting about their non mobile users.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Well, only because you "wholly expect" it, I shan't disappoint:

Cool story, Bro. Good riddance.

:D

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I must say that you haven't made a bad choice. I personally like the AIO design and couldnt really see myself having the traditional desktop. Im going to wait until end of October and if the new iMac is not out by then I will buy something else.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
I understand you doing what you did. I currently use a self built PC that is slowly dying, I decided I want to go OS X cause I didn't like the direction Microsoft was going. Good luck with your decision.

Billyvasil

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
I will be waiting till end of October to decide. My last experience with Vista has left me hating windows and I will try to hold off as long as possible before buying whatever.

49JC

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
OP I can surely relate. This wait is just too long. I love apple just as much as the next. But waiting 500 days for a refresh is ridiculous. I was waiting for the new iMac but have opted against it. Im going to try my hands at building a dual boot hack instead.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Just built a PC myself. Predominantly for gaming but it may become my fulltime computer at some point. We'll see.

Curious OP as to why you thought you should wait a month if you weren't interested in a potential iMac refresh. Do you mean Windows 8? Probably better off not waiting. :p And luckily you can always upgrade.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
I think Apple couldn't care less about their non-mobile clients.
They know more than a few will stay with Apple anyway, either through a laptop or some sort of iDevice.

I'm no one to argue against the commercial policies of a company that is worth more than my whole continent ;) but I think their approach is wrong.
There is no reason NOT to upgrade their iMacs other than to clear current stocks or force clients to go for other machines. If the iMac is not going to be upgraded, they should have stated it. One and a hlaf years is too much.

Their policy of "steering" clients to where they want will be their downfall one day. Mark my words.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I gree with you my friend. Well said. I just don't see myself going to windows because I don't know what I hate the most windows or apple forgetting about their non mobile users.

Well, I hope that I either I will be reminded why I dropped Windows in the first place, or pleasantly surprised. Either way, at least I will know.

Well, only because you "wholly expect" it, I shan't disappoint:

Cool story, Bro. Good riddance.

:D

It HAD to be done! :p

I must say that you haven't made a bad choice. I personally like the AIO design and couldnt really see myself having the traditional desktop.

I LOVE the AIO design, but I have an office setup where the tower will mostly be hidden away. So basically all I will see is the monitor. And in that sense, it will *look* like a smaller footprint than an actual iMac.

I understand you doing what you did. I currently use a self built PC that is slowly dying, I decided I want to go OS X cause I didn't like the direction Microsoft was going. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks. Care to elaborate on what you mean by "the direction MS is going"? Are you talking about Windows 8? I know personally, I will be sticking with 7 for a long, long time.

I will be waiting till end of October to decide. My last experience with Vista has left me hating windows and I will try to hold off as long as possible before buying whatever.

I hear you. Vista was abysmal. A beta test for 7. Have you tried 7 yet? I use it at work a lot and it was a big factor in my switch. I honestly like a lot about it.

OP I can surely relate. This wait is just too long. I love apple just as much as the next. But waiting 500 days for a refresh is ridiculous. I was waiting for the new iMac but have opted against it. Im going to try my hands at building a dual boot hack instead.

The best of both worlds option! I think with the build I set up I am in line with a hackintosh if I ever felt the need. But, sadly, it is usually the other way around when it comes to OS's. I *needed* windows and boot camp while using OS X. I will rarely come across a task on Windows where I *need* OS X to accomplish.

Just built a PC myself. Predominantly for gaming but it may become my fulltime computer at some point. We'll see.

Curious OP as to why you thought you should wait a month if you weren't interested in a potential iMac refresh. Do you mean Windows 8? Probably better off not waiting. :p And luckily you can always upgrade.

Oh, I don't know if I wasn't clear enough. I was waiting for an iMac refresh. I was hoping this will be the month. So, in my waiting, I decided I am going to try something new. It was basically *because* of the wait.

Well done. The change will be refreshing. I took my two sons off of iMacs last year and built two ITX-based gaming computers. While not without their own set of issues, Windows boxes come with a host of positives including flexibility.

I am looking forward to the non-proprietary structure, that is for sure. Not looking forward to individual driver issues and defragging issues, but luckily I like to stay on top of things like that because of OCD, so I will be fine :p

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I am looking forward to the non-proprietary structure, that is for sure. Not looking forward to individual driver issues and defragging issues, but luckily I like to stay on top of things like that because of OCD, so I will be fine :p

Defragging is no longer an issue with Windows 7. Driver updates are more or less automatic now. Its not your grandfather's Windows. ;)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Not having to maintain my machine to that level anymore is what personally brought me to OS X back in 2006.

I used to like doing that. I always built my own computers. Now I have other things I'd rather be doing with my time.

But to each their own. I hope you have some fun with your new project. :)

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
When I'm in need for an upgrade I'll probably get a small windows Netbook type machine. I like my MacBook, but I can't justify the expense when I rarely use it. My iPad is my primary computer.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Listen, Win7 is nice, no doubt. I enjoy using it via Parallels or on an actual PC at work. My main concern for you, OP, is that you're switching to a platform that is moving its OS - windows 8 - to an even more mobile/tablet-centric methodology. You don't like the evolution of OS X, it being more closely aligned to iOS, but windows 8 is far less workstation friendly... its useless without a touch screen.

And would you really want to stay on win 7 for the next 5+ years? I understand being disenchanted with Apple... its not like it was even 5 years ago. My concern is that Windows is NOT ANY better. I agree with the hardware flexibility - it would be wonderful if we Mac users could have so many choices or even build our own. But when it comes to software, Windows OS is going in a bad direction. I hope you won't come to miss OS X.

Although, if it (OS X) get's dumbed down any more, Apple risks losing many more old timers.

Best of luck to you bro...

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Listen, Win7 is nice, no doubt. I enjoy using it via Parallels or on an actual PC at work. My main concern for you, OP, is that you're switching to a platform that is moving its OS - windows 8 - to an even more mobile/tablet-centric methodology. You don't like the evolution of OS X, it being more closely aligned to iOS, but windows 8 is far less workstation friendly... its useless without a touch screen.

All well said. But, yes, assuming I stick with Windows, I will stay with 7 until everything is worked out for 8 or until another stable OS comes along.

I realize everyone is gravitating toward some type of interface that rules them all. I know neither are perfect. But the OS is just ONE factor for me in my switch. I could have honestly stuck through ML and future OS X iterations if they also felt the need to update their hardware every so often.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago, was fed up of waiting so went for a Dell XPS 8500. To be honest Windows 7 does feel antiquated next to ML but I can live with it. On the other hand the speed and power of this beast makes me a very happy camper.
I still have my 2011 13" MBP stuffed with an aftermarket SSD and I wouldnt trade this baby for any other laptop out there.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
You evidently have numerous reasons which I can appreciate. Stay in the forum - many of us appreciate hearing from open minded folks. Let us know how it goes.

If I didn't like OS X and its interesting evolution, I would leave the walled garden too. Flexibility is nice, but for me, Windows is just old and bloated. Its much more stable than it was, but not my preference. Hardware is a lesser issue to me personally.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago, was fed up of waiting so went for a Dell XPS 8500. To be honest Windows 7 does feel antiquated next to ML but I can live with it. On the other hand the speed and power of this beast makes me a very happy camper.
I still have my 2011 13" MBP stuffed with an aftermarket SSD and I wouldnt trade this baby for any other laptop out there.

What do you expect, Windows 7 is three years old.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Truth!

If i didnt have to use a mac I wouldnt. It is still a huge mark up when the machines are released new but paying these prices for a almost 2 year old machine is silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.