Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
...living in my kitchen wall! :eek:

For the past few days, I've been hearing 'cheeping' noises in the kitchen/bathroom but and have been cursing the possibility that I had baby pigeons on my bathroom roof (I'd seen a mangy pigeon up there a few times). But tonight I was walking home and spotted a blue tit flying into the kitchen wall.

I had a new boiler put in last year and the plumber removed a pipe that was going through the plaster and brickwork to the fresh air. It was a very small hole but somewhat inaccessible from the outside so we just left it. Inaccessible to me obviously but not to the bluetits who have moved in and are obviously very comfortable. Next job - plug the hole to the kitchen in case inquisitive fledglings decide to explore the boiler!

PS Sorry to the guys hoping for more... ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
busymandammit.jpg

tut tut, I had such high hopes for this thread too...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Daveway said:
What are blue tits? In America a "blue tit" may mean something Completely different. ;)

JK it sounds like a bug. Put nets against the holes and catch them.

At least its not blue... i think i'm going to stop their... ;) :p :rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I must say the title caught my attention... ;) ...but I'd be quite happy to see some images of your new tenants (maybe over in the bird watchers thread?).

The only critters I've had move in where I lived is wasps (which I'm very uncomfortable with) and here, at our new house, it's literally crawling with spiders, in all types and sizes (which gives my girlfriend the creeps). Some cute little birds would be a welcome change...

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I knew the thread couldn't possibly be about what I was thinking, but I'm still somehow disappointed.:p

Guess I'll have to watch King Arthur again. Keira's were blue in that movie.... :rolleyes: :D

At any rate, hope the little fellas don't meet up with the big bad boiler.

What is it with you English? Blue tits, spotted dick... ;)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I must say the title caught my attention... ;) ...but I'd be quite happy to see some images of your new tenants (maybe over in the bird watchers thread?)

I'm pondering that one - I'm not sure how to get the image since I don't have access from outside (it's 20' up the wall) and from the inside, there's a circular hole that's only an inch wide (and with feathers in it!).

I might attempt a picture at the weekend when I'm home and it's bright outside - but also conscious that it's illegal to disturb nesting birds in the UK and I'm not sure if moving the feathers aside and taking pictures would constitute that even if I managed to maneuver the lens enough to get them in focus.

You might have to wait til they've fledged and are learning to fly... :p

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
dubbz said:
This thread is useless without pics, so here is a linky to a picture of a blue tit.

Warning! It's SFW!

Click here to view a blue tit

It's a cute looking bird. Certainly much better than the pigeons and sparrows that we have in the US. Although I realize that having a bird outside of one's window would be very annoying.

Before you plug the hole in your kitchen wall, please be sure that the birds aren't harmed. Applespider, you should call your local animal rescue for assistance.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
wdlove said:
Before you plug the hole in your kitchen wall, please be sure that the birds aren't harmed. Applespider, you should call your local animal rescue for assistance.

No worries there. I'm not planning on plugging the hole in the outside wall until they're all safely fledged and out of the nest.

It's the one into the kitchen that I will plug with something so that as the chicks start to move around, they don't explore the wrong exit from the nest and ending up falling to their doom behind my kitchen cabinets where I couldn't rescue them. Thinking about something like cork or even a piece of dark plastic just so they don't try using it as an exit! Will plaster it once they've left!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
dubbz said:
This thread is useless without pics, so here is a linky to a picture of a blue tit.
For any who are interested, we also have Coal Tits, Long-Tailed Tits, Marsh Tits and Great Tits! Who needs pictures? :D

Down here in leafy Ham, we have a flock of 600 feral parakeets! Unbelievable racket! Not to mention the foxes which just wander about all over the shop as if they owned the place - which I suppose they do. And I found a ferret in my laundry basket the other night. I tell you, it's like the jungle out here! :eek: :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.