Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming wearable device, popularly known as the iWatch, is expected to be unveiled at Tuesday's media event, although a launch will reportedly come perhaps as late as early 2015. Part of the reason for the early unveiling may be to give third-party developers time to build apps for the new device, and 9to5Mac reports that will indeed be the case. Moreover, key third-party developers are said to have already been seeded with software development kit (SDK) tools to facilitate their work.
A small handful of high-profile social network and services companies with apps on the iPhone and iPad App Store have already been seeded with a pre-release version of the Apple SDK (Software Development Kit) for wearables under strict non-disclosure agreements.

The SDK was seeded "very recently" to these developers, and Apple likely wants to demonstrate some third-party wearable apps at Tuesday's event, according to one source.
iwatch-concept-nike.jpg
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton, based on the Nike Fuelband
The iWatch is expected to work closely with the iPhone, but contain its own array of health and fitness sensors as well as near field communications (NFC) technology for a new mobile payments initiative. A host of new iOS 8 features such as HealthKit, HomeKit, and extensions are also expected to be key to the iWatch's functionality.

Apple's media event kicks off at 10:00 AM Pacific Time on Tuesday, and MacRumors will have full coverage as the event unfolds.

Article Link: iWatch to Run Third-Party Apps, Key Developer Partners Already at Work

Lucamegh

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2010
An iWatch-only App Store? It doesn’t make sense to me. Installing an app on the iPhone should automatically display a new widget/app/watch face on the iWatch, not differently from Notification Center widgets in iOS 8.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I cannot wait! Let's get it, Apple! Only a couple more days. :apple:

P.S. - I'm glad you guys used a different picture. :)

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
An iWatch-only App Store? It doesn’t make sense to me. Installing an app on the iPhone should automatically display a new widget/app/watch face on the iWatch, not differently from Notification Center widgets in iOS 8.
Yeah, cause you know exactly how the iWatch will work. Maybe you should let people who've actually used the device (which right now is Apple) decide?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I guess that means an interactive piece of jewelry. There had been some who thought it would be a standard wristwatch with sensors in it. But if this announcement is correct, it seems that it will need a screen of some sort.

I'm wondering if all the iPhone 6 leaks have been to distract people from digging to deeply into the watch. I think that's going to be the highlight of the keynote.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
I just can't wait to play angry birds on my wrist. But come on apple where is the app store for the apple TV!
Apple is a company that believes in focus. When they are done the iWatch, they will work on the next rev to the Apple TV that will support games, etc. Patience.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
There had been some who thought it would be a standard wristwatch with sensors in it.
Such people were fools. Withings has already done this. What Apple does will be different/better, otherwise there would be no point in Apple doing it. Makes sense?

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
I sure hope it looks more like these pics, and less like other smart watches.They are just so ugly. I, for one, cannot stand watches. They're bulky, heavy, and just plain uncomfortable. I could wear an iBand, though.;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Apple is a company that believes in focus. When they are done the iWatch, they will work on the next rev to the Apple TV that will support games, etc. Patience.

Wow, so useful instead of making proper laptops.

I can buy a real watch from a lot of companies. A Mac I can only buy from Apple.

blackshuu

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
NFC in a watch could enable payments with your wrist instead of having to get the phone out of your pocket.

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I sure hope it looks more like these pics, and less like other smart watches.They are just so ugly. I, for one, cannot stand watches. They're bulky, heavy, and just plain uncomfortable. I could wear an iBand, though.;)

I'm sorry but I'm not wearing a bangle bracelet.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
I'm sorry but I'm not wearing a bangle bracelet.

I think the term "bangle" is a bit of sretch, don't you? Pretty sure you wouldnt be able to fit anything on a screen that small.

Fitness band is more along the lines of what I was thinking. And if it's a huge smart watch then you can count me out. You might as well pull your phone out at that point.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
if the iWatch is getting 3rd party apps/app store then the aTV better have them too :cool:

Last edited:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple already has the world's most innovative and talented developers building apps for its platforms. I know these are the people who will help create amazing experiences from my wrist. These thoughts have me on the edge of exploding with excitement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.