iWork question.

Discussion in 'OS X' started by amycishere, Feb 7, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

I saw in the tutorial that you can change the paper into a word document to work with PCs and make powerpoint presentations as well. This would save me $100 if true. Should I try iworks first and the free application neo office before I spend the $150 on Office? I have heard it runs slow and right now I only plan on buying 1 GB of memory.

Thanks.
    Amy

2. macrumors 65816

WillJS

On some apps.. you can:

File-->Export-->Into its compatible Word, Excel, etc file type. It won't open on the Mac, but move to a PC w/ Office and it will.

True to what jsw said. I was just referring to save as Word doc and Pages doc.

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, you can export it to Word format, which will read on a PC.

Also, it (the export in Word format) will re-open in Pages, so it's not like you can't open it back up.

4. macrumors regular

And yes, you can export keynote to powerpoint presentations. Be warned, tho, that if you do any effects, it will export the most approximate version of that effect- so if you have dissolves or move ins or anything, the powerpoint version will not look as good.

It's a handy tool that i've used a few times- and each time it reminds me how ugly and unwieldy powerpoint is.

5. macrumors 6502

I'll just chime in and say:

1. Pages makes perfect Word documents as far as I can tell.

2. Keynote is easier to use than Powerpoint and looks 5 times nicer. I've had no problem exporting Keynote presentations in the PPT format.

6. macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone!!! Seriously, you guys saved me 100 dollars. THANK YOU!

7. macrumors 601

Yvan256

If I may add a nice tip about showing Keynote presentations on a Windows computer: export your Keynotes as "Quicktime presentations". You'll keep all your effects and Quicktime will pause and wait for a key press between slides just like Keynote would in display/presentation mode.

8. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

This works beautifully - just beware that the file sizes can be enormous, and you'll need QT Pro if you want to go fullscreen (IIRC).

9. macrumors 6502

Great tip, thanks! Will definitely use!

10. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why that isn't in the free version i don't know, at least with QT7 it's not nagware anymore :rolleyes:.

11. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I would guess Apple wants people to use iTunes, because that does play video full screen.

12. macrumors 601

compuwar

NeoOffice is good, but it'll run a bit slower than Office- normally not a big deal. Since it's free, what reason would you have for not trying it?

13. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Because it's ugly, clumsy, and also slow?

14. macrumors 601

compuwar

I've yet to see a pretty spreadsheet :p
    A word processor is pretty-much a word processor, and slide software is pretty-much slide software, I don't think it's that much less ugly than Office. Anyway- the OP can't judge for themselves how ugly, clumsy or slow without trying it. :p

15. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Then you haven't used Pages or Keynote very much.

Well, it's not that much uglier than Office, true.

Well obviously. Nobody said they couldn't. But I gave you possible reasons for why someone might not want to. Just because something is free doesn't mean there is nothing to lose (wasted time, for example).