Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndwgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Phuket Thailand
I am not sure if this has been addressed or not but if you are using a AT&T or o2 or True Move sim card on contract is it worth jailbreaking your iPhone or Not????
Can you get the same Apps with a contract phone as you can with a Jailbreak iPhone

ndwgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Phuket Thailand
Exactly. Sometimes there is a bit of lag or bugginess, but it doesn't bother me enough to not jailbreak. I think it is totally worth it.
WHY
I am asking in a nice way because I have been using a jailbroken iPhone ever since they first came out but I now want to go on contract and try it the way Apple wants us to use it.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
WHY
I am asking in a nice way because I have been using a jailbroken iPhone ever since they first came out but I now want to go on contract and try it the way Apple wants us to use it.
Seriously, stop asking the same questions. Why are you people continue to post the same threads and ask us to convince you to jailbreak.

You know what, do everyone a favorite and don't jailbreak. I am sure Cydia would run faster if less people use it.

ndwgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Phuket Thailand
Seriously, stop asking the same questions. Why are you people continue to post the same threads and ask us to convince you to jailbreak.

You know what, do everyone a favorite and don't jailbreak. I am sure Cydia would run faster if less people use it.
WOW have you always been an as£hole or only since you discovered Cydia????
PS. Was that a favor or just a favorite
Love

Neil

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
Jailbreak it, no discussion for me. Harmless and you get the best of both worlds. If you keep it stock, you are missing out on plenty of good apps!

rageboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Jailbreak it, no discussion for me. Harmless and you get the best of both worlds. If you keep it stock, you are missing out on plenty of good apps!

Agree but I did find jailbreaking slowed my phone a lot, trade off I guess.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I can't think of anything worth jailbreaking my iphone for. I have everything I need and then some. No need to jailbreak it and risk bricking it.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008

+1

Do us all a favor.. Don't jailbreak. Use it the way that you think Apple wants you to use and please don't ask again.

!!11oneone

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
I've just un-jailbroken.

I found it made my screen unresponsive and laggy, and even the quickest press sent my icons jiggling to re-organise them. Very annoying. I also found apps crashed more often.

The only apps I was interested in from cydia were:

Winterboard - I can live without this, though I liked having wallpaper and hidden names

FiveIconDock - that was handy to put phone, sms, ipod, mail and safari on the dock. But I can live without it.

Backgrounder - never used it, don't really need it

SBSettings - vaguely useful, but didn't use it day to day

IntelliScreen - I liked this and wished my phone did it anyway, but it wasn't worth the problems I had.

Each to their own. Personally, I found only IntelliScreen was worth jailbreaking for.

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
Jailbreaking does not make your iPhone laggy. Mine isn't.

Regarding cydia apps, its like the app store. Some you can't live without some you can. Personally I love theming my iPhone. #1 reason I jailbreak.

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
I'm under contract with AT&T and just recently jailbroke my iPhone...the App Store works just fine with downloading/installing/updating apps and my phone is running without any lag or unresponsiveness with the screen. the only apps i really use from cydia though are cycorder, snapture, and winterboard (gotta love the custom themes :) )

ndwgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Phuket Thailand
I'm under contract with AT&T and just recently jailbroke my iPhone...the App Store works just fine with downloading/installing/updating apps and my phone is running without any lag or unresponsiveness with the screen. the only apps i really use from cydia though are cycorder, snapture, and winterboard (gotta love the custom themes :) )
From what I am seeing from a lot of this thread is Apple Apps dont have a winterboard or custom walpaper (what a bummer) is there a reason behind that or have Apple just not caught onto it yet?

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
From what I am seeing from a lot of this thread is Apple Apps dont have a winterboard or custom walpaper (what a bummer) is there a reason behind that or have Apple just not caught onto it yet?

What do you mean that 'Apple Apps don't have a winterboard or custom wallpaper'? Sorry, I don't get what you're trying to say. Do you mean the App Store doesn't have them?

vertigorp

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
I've just un-jailbroken.

I found it made my screen unresponsive and laggy, and even the quickest press sent my icons jiggling to re-organise them. Very annoying. I also found apps crashed more often.

The only apps I was interested in from cydia were:

Winterboard - I can live without this, though I liked having wallpaper and hidden names

FiveIconDock - that was handy to put phone, sms, ipod, mail and safari on the dock. But I can live without it.

Backgrounder - never used it, don't really need it

SBSettings - vaguely useful, but didn't use it day to day

IntelliScreen - I liked this and wished my phone did it anyway, but it wasn't worth the problems I had.

Each to their own. Personally, I found only IntelliScreen was worth jailbreaking for.

i think intelliscreen was your problem. since the 2.2 update and the following winterboard update my jailbroken runs as fast as my phone was while it was un-jailbroken. i held out a couple days after i restored my phone the other day. (took it to the apple store to get it replaced because the home button was sticking too often. couldn't replicate the problem at the store and felt like an idiot) but i hear nothing but bad thing about intelliscreen relating to lag. never actually used it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.