Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
On my password protected/ Touch ID protected phone the app I would use this on would be :confused:

I have a niece who likes to play with my phone. Generally this is to play games that I allow her to play, but sometimes she goes exploring. I would prefer her not to be able to open my photos, my email, or iMessage. I have content in all three not appropriate for children.

----------

If you have kids, friends or pets using your phone.

Bingo❗️Or people you date.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
What a useful feature. It's a shame that you have to jailbreak your device to use it. This should have been baked into iOS 7 from the get go. And with all this NSA spying crap and Chinese app stores floating around I expect Apple to be even tighter with stopping future jailbreaking. What's the point of having a Apple device if you can't update to the latest iOS version only to keep your jailbreak active?

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
This is really cool. Too bad it didn't save my 14-year-Apple-only household from going Android.

[snip]

All because Apple refuses to:

Implement multi-user accounts
Pardon my ignorance, but Android allows multi user accounts on a single device? Can you tell me how this works?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
This is really cool. Too bad it didn't save my 14-year-Apple-only household from going Android.

Family of 6. Nobody wants to go back to iOS after using Android. Nobody.

Release a bigger-screen iPhone
Let users revert out of iOS 7
Allow more customization options

I was planning on jailbreaking; no need now.

Even the wife gave up her iPad/iPhone combo for a Note 3, and is happier than I ever thought she could be. She used to be fused to the iPad. All. The. Time. Funny thing is that I'm the family IT guy and she came to me wanting the Note 3.

From my perspective, this could be a troubling sign for Apple and should be addressed by them.

doomed! dooooomed!

oh, wait. they're the most successful tech firm in the history of the planet, and their stuff are the single best selling and most used mobile devices out there. better get Tim Cook on the line.

btw, how do you know apple refuses to do multiuser or bigger phones? how do you know they aren't in fact constantly testing new features and form factors? you don't. none of us do.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Apple will never make any of their iOS devices multi-user because they want you to buy more than one.

Apple will probably release an API and put the pressure on devs.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
oh, wait. they're the most successful tech firm in the history of the planet, and their stuff are the single best selling and most used mobile devices out there. better get Tim Cook on the line.

I share your opinion regarding Apple's fortunes, but this argument is not a strong one to support it. It's basically the same thing people used to say about Microsoft, back when Internet Explorer ruled the roost and Windows Mobile was somewhat more popular than it is today. :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple will never make any of their iOS devices multi-user because they want you to buy more than one.

Apple will probably release an API and put the pressure on devs.

They will now that there's a new regime in charge. In fact MR had a story about some mega Apple patent application that specifically mentioned this feature. My guess is touch id will be used to implement it.

This same argument was said about the iPad mini, that Apple would never go retina with the mini because they want people to buy the full size iPad, or because they couldn't hit desired margins or whatever. But we got a retina mini: because someone buying a retina mini over a full size iPad is still better than someone buying a Kindle or Nexus instead.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008

Family of 6. Nobody wants to go back to iOS after using Android. Nobody.

Release a bigger-screen iPhone
Let users revert out of iOS 7
Allow more customization options

I was planning on jailbreaking; no need now.

Even the wife gave up her iPad/iPhone combo for a Note 3, and is happier than I ever thought she could be. She used to be fused to the iPad. All. The. Time. Funny thing is that I'm the family IT guy and she came to me wanting the Note 3.

From my perspective, this could be a troubling sign for Apple and should be addressed by them.

Glad you found what you like.

I must ask, however, why you are here on an Apple forum?

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Yes. It works very well, and very simply.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not insinuating that you are a "dummy", the link was purely a top hit on Google that explained it well.
Thanks for the link. Yes I do image home screen widgets and backgrounds are changed per user, but what I didn't see mentioned is whether every app keeps its own database for each user (ie, Gmail, photos, etc.).

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Help! I just installed AppLocker, used Invert Selection, and didn't set a passcode. None of my fingers work, and all of my apps are locked.

Not sure what to do.

EDIT: I just rebooted my phone holding the "up" volume button the entire time to disable all tweaks.

Last edited:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
doomed! dooooomed!

btw, how do you know apple refuses to do multiuser or bigger phones? how do you know they aren't in fact constantly testing new features and form factors? you don't. none of us do.

A. Apple has been greatly successful up to today, and rightly so. That is not to say that they will continue to be successful, especially within the current competitive landscape. For Apple to assume it can't fail is to ensure it does. As a hardcore Apple user, the loss of my business to Android may or may not be a significant statistic (I may be an outlier in the bell curve). But I believe that I am not the only Apple customer lost to the competition because of their recent decisions and the availability of actually viable alternatives in the market. If you've always been a Ford guy but you choose to buy a Chevy his time, it's possible Ford did something wrong, or Chevy did something really right. (please forgive the car analogy, folks)

B. I know Apple refuses to do multi-users on iOS because, well, it doesn't. I'm not speculating on the future, I'm merely pointing out something that they don't do, and its competitors do now.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Glad you found what you like.

I must ask, however, why you are here on an Apple forum?

Probably for the same reason most other people are here:

To discuss Apple's products, get tips on how to solve issues, gush about the Apple things we think are cool, and (Heaven forbid) vent about the things that frustrate us about our favorite tech company.

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
now that IOS 8 is out. are we going to see this extension roll out or does this only apply for jailbreak iPhones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.