Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godkorg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Hi Guys, I appologize in advance if this is common, I've search but couldnt find a post.

I just jailbroke my iPhone 3g (1.0.2) and now caller id works (I see numbers) BUT the names wont show anymore... I'm a canadian user

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!! :)

p.s. some people are confusing Caller ID with Caller Display.. basically Call display lists the names of anyone who calls regardless of them being in your address book or not... offered by Rogers..

godkorg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Thanks for the fast reply! Yes they are still there.. .but I pay Rogers extra to have names appear regardless of if they're in my book or not, any ideas?

Thanks!!

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
If that's the case, I'm not sure what the problem is. The only solution I can think of is to restore your iPhone to standard. But if you want to keep it jailbreaked, I don't really know much about jailbreaked iPhones, sorry :eek:

EDIT: Maybe you have it turned off under settings?

godkorg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
haha yeah kind of a head scratcher... I checked my settings everything looks fine...thanks for your help tho :)

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
umm the iphone does NOT have name display. the names only show up if they're already in your contact list. this has nothing to do with jailbreaking. learn to use your phone.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
umm the iphone does NOT have name display. the names only show up if they're already in your contact list. this has nothing to do with jailbreaking. learn to use your phone.

In Canada, Rogers does have this feature. Also, he said his iPhone was doing it before, so obviously, it does work. Just not now that it's been jailbreaked.

godkorg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007

Ooooh Learn to use my phoooone :) haha

Ok, before I got it added, it would only display names of contacts I had added in my address books... Called rogers, now I pay a few bucks extra so ALL the names show up when people call... I know how to use my phone thanks for trying.

If an expert such as yourself has no effin' clue what I'm talking about I'm probably solidly **** out of luck eh? :)

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
im also in canada and with rogers. im quite aware that rogers offers a 'name display' service but it does NOT work for the iphone. only the number shows up. if the caller is already IN your contact list, ONLY THEN will their name show up.

how much further clarification do you need on this?

godkorg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
im also in canada and with rogers. im quite aware that rogers offers a 'name display' service but it does NOT work for the iphone. only the number shows up. if the caller is already IN your contact list, ONLY THEN will their name show up.

how much further clarification do you need on this?

The service works. Trust me, I remember someone calling me from "L'Alliance Francaise" just the other day, was a wrong number... but there it was all written out and sure as **** they werent' in my address book either.

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
i invite one single person on rogers or at&t or any other carrier who has an iphone to come here and prove me wrong. too bad thats not going to happen because once again, THE IPHONE DOES NOT SUPPORT NAME DISPLAY (ONLY CALLER DISPLAY AKA ONLY THE PHONE #. UNLESS THE PERSON IS ALREADY ON YOUR CONTACT LIST).

hopefully bigger letters will help you comprehend a little easier.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
It does work, he's said so. What would he gain by saying it does when it doesn't? I have an iPhone with Rogers, my father has one on Fido. On his iPhone, it does give the name, even when it's not on his contact list. Is this settled now?

godkorg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
i invite one single person on rogers or at&t or any other carrier who has an iphone to come here and prove me wrong. too bad thats not going to happen because once again, THE IPHONE DOES NOT SUPPORT NAME DISPLAY (ONLY CALLER DISPLAY AKA ONLY THE PHONE #. UNLESS THE PERSON IS ALREADY ON YOUR CONTACT LIST).

hopefully bigger letters will help you comprehend a little easier.

Maybe a bit bigger?

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
It does work, he's said so. What would he gain by saying it does when it doesn't? I have an iPhone with Rogers, my father has one on Fido. On his iPhone, it does give the name, even when it's not on his contact list. Is this settled now?

he doesn't gain anything either way. im just clarifying that he was clearly high or just dumb because the iphone does NOT support this feature whatsoever.

and the fact that you claim your fathers iphone has name display but yours magically doesn't is also obviously a lie.

someone call in to fido or rogers csr's and talk to any of them about this. this is not a supported feature on the iphone.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
and the fact that you claim your fathers iphone has name display but yours magically doesn't is also obviously a lie.

Not really, think about it. Maybe I'm on a different contract and don't have that feature enabled. Which is the case. Don't jump to conclusions. And quite frankly, this childish debate is going nowhere. If you're not willing to help I don't see the point of posting.

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
it has NOTHING to do with what contract you're on. the IPHONE ITSELF does not support name display (unless the contact is already on your list).

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
it has NOTHING to do with what contract you're on. the IPHONE ITSELF does not support name display (unless the contact is already on your list).

Well, it seems to be working for my Dad, who's enabled it on his contract, and this person, until they jailbreaked their iPhone. This is the case. Somebody here is misinformed. And it certainly isn't me.

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Well, it seems to be working for my Dad, who's enabled it on his contract, and this person, until they jailbreaked their iPhone. This is the case. Somebody here is misinformed. And it certainly isn't me.

then you're probably confusing caller display with name display.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Hmm, maybe... I'm not sure now actually. Either way I can't help from here so I'm not going to comment anymore.

tallon

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
First off, to the OP, I'm not entirley sure hot to solve your problem. Jailbreaking alters the baseband of the iPhone, which may have something to do with it. So your only solution may be to do a restore back to factory settings. Sorry I can't be more heplful.

Secondly, to iblastoff , this is a quote directly from the Rogers website:

Call Display with Name Display is a new service that allows you to see the name and number of incoming callers even if they are not in your address book!

This service exists, and costs $7 per month.

http://your.rogers.com/business/wireless/plans_services/essentials/name-display.asp

SoSII

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
First off, to the OP, I'm not entirley sure hot to solve your problem. Jailbreaking alters the baseband of the iPhone, which may have something to do with it. So your only solution may be to do a restore back to factory settings. Sorry I can't be more heplful.

http://your.rogers.com/business/wireless/plans_services/essentials/name-display.asp

hate to get involved here, but I dont think iblastoff is arguing the service doesnt exist, just that even if you pay for it etc, the iphone doesnt support it.:)

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008

obviously the actual service exists. the iphone itself DOES NOT support this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.