Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasein

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Options for MBP...

Son has MBP and complains of over-heating and battery issues.
Another thing is that when the new MBP comes out, there will probably be bugs to be ironed out; not sure I want to have to deal with that; buying a 'tested' system such as the current MBP may be the way to go.

Advise?;)

Something to keep in mind regarding the heat issue: if the clock speeds are upped, you're probably going to lose any advantage the 45nm chip would have regarding running cooler...it's a tradeoff that's made when the higher end clock speed is settled on.

matsundinn

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
if the new upgraded macbook pros release in january of 2008 would the price remain equivalent of the line of macbook pros right now or are we looking at higher costs?

Thanks

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
if the new upgraded macbook pros release in january of 2008 would the price remain equivalent of the line of macbook pros right now or are we looking at higher costs?

Thanks

If the current models are kept and upgraded, the price will most likely stay the same.

The one curveball is the sub-notebook. Its pricing could be anywhere, depending on the features it offers.

Matiek

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Why do they need to have a "drastic exterior change"? The macbook pros perform great and are up to date on all the ports. It's not like mac is going to make a ruggedized laptop. What is it about the exterior that you can justify a rebuild? It's a computer it's what's inside that counts. Not to mention the fact that the macbook pro's are already the slimmest laptops in the performance bracket. If it's a choice between an exterior or an interior upgrade I chose the interior. A exterior upgrade would probably just make it harder to keep the price down.

wacahill

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
Pearl River Ny
That sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Appleinsider compiles information from Digitimes about upcoming Penryn processors which are expected to be used in upcoming MacBook Pros. Intel detailed their Penryn and Nehalem processor plans earlier this week at the Intel Developer Forum.

Intel is expected to launch five 45nm dual-core notebook CPUs in January of 2008 with CPU speeds ranging from 2.1GHz up to 2.8GHz.

The new Intel mobile CPUs are expected to refresh the current Santa Rosa chipset which powers the current MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro currently maxes out at 2.4GHz speeds.

Meanwhile, it has been previously revealed that new MacBook Pros are expected to be released in January 2008 which would coincide with these processor updates.

Article Link

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I sometimes wish Apple had a longer turnaround time between product releases as iv just taken delivery of a MBP and they are going to renew it already!

Oh well thats proberly why they are so far ahead of everyone else.

Huh? Usually Apple are too slow with their updates and tend to lag behind the others. But every so often, they do something neat, like with the 8-core 3GHz Mac Pro release - that was ahead of the competition. But really, that's the exception.

mlmorg

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
i have a desktop and a mini and was hoping to get a macbook pro in january...im in school and will be studying abroad in prague next semester and figured i needed a laptop. i have been planning on getting a laptop for a while now and have set my sights on january before i leave (jan. 11th). i expected rumors like this to pop up as ive been looking at intel's timeline and it couldn't come at a worse time. i think i would be happy with the current macbook pro's...im glad they now allow a 200GB 7200 drive but wish the vram could be 256 standard. other than that i'm basically pretty happy with them but would be bummed if i bought a macbook pro and a new one came out that had a lot of new features.

My question then is if I should get a macbook pro before i go or should i take one of my parents' pc (ugh) laptops. I know there is a grace period to return the macbook pro for the new ones but i have a feeling apple may announce a new macbook pro but may not ship until maybe a month later. will i still be able to trade to the new one because it has been announced or does the machine actually have to be in stock for the 14 day grace period to apply? Also does anyone know of other parts of the macbook pro that may be getting upgraded in janyuary? are there any new larger 7200 drives out that are not in the macbook pros yet?

anyway, thanks for any suggestions/info/help you can give me.

fatalsports

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
I was going to buy a Macbook Pro for myself for Xmas...but now hearing there will be an update in January...makes me rethink that and wait.

My question...is it definite/pretty certain a new/upgrade macbook pro will be coming out in January. Trying to see if I should just buy now or wait. I'd hate to spend 2k+ then a month later a new/upgraded pro comes out.

thanks

Retired
May 16, 2006
I was going to buy a Macbook Pro for myself for Xmas...but now hearing there will be an update in January...makes me rethink that and wait.

My question...is it definite/pretty certain a new/upgrade macbook pro will be coming out in January. Trying to see if I should just buy now or wait. I'd hate to spend 2k+ then a month later a new/upgraded pro comes out.

I would suggest waiting if you can, an update is quite likely IMO...on the other hand, 42 days is quite a long time with a computer...

fatalsports

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
I would suggest waiting if you can, an update is quite likely IMO...on the other hand, 42 days is quite a long time with a computer...

I have a Macbook now...so I wont be without a comp...just looking forward to getting the MBP....but Im def willing to wait to Jan if an update is likely and the prices are the same

Retired
May 16, 2006
I have a Macbook now...so I wont be without a comp...just looking forward to getting the MBP....but Im def willing to wait to Jan if an update is likely and the prices are the same

I highly doubt prices will increase...if anything they'll decrease :)

bushman1

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
I rely want to see a case redesign with a glass screen and the interactive touch pad. 2.8Ghz would be nice but rely a quad core is the only real improvment that will benefit laptops. Soon desktops will contains 16core processors .

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I rely want to see a case redesign with a glass screen and the interactive touch pad. 2.8Ghz would be nice but rely a quad core is the only real improvment that will benefit laptops. Soon desktops will contains 16core processors .

Well, firstly a glass screen will add massive weight and fragility to a laptop - so that's out of the question IMHO.

Secondly, quad cores at this stage would add to the power consumption of a laptop - and AFIK there is no quad core mobile CPU in Intel's near-future roadmap.

So if your wish comes true, we'll all be walking around with 5kg laptops with 30 minutes battery life.

And finally, 16 core CPUs are not coming to desktops soon. When talking about computers, soon is 6 months-12 months. We won't see 16 core desktop PCs in this time. Check Intel's roadmap - you'll get a better picture there.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
i was about to buy MBP 2.4 15" just Today man. today!!!!!!

untill i found out this forum.. and i relize the changes are gonna be somehow quite drastic with the Penryn Processor

well, and i thought why not wait for only around 15 days ( till jan ) to get a better MBP

but seriously, is it gonna be a huge different between the current Santa Rosa MBP and the upcoming Penryn Processor?

but im still thinking of whether to delay my purchase or should i just get it tommorow, but the time is what killing me, it's so near till jan 08!

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
ok, this might have been reviewed in the 1st page of this topic

but when is this Mac World event starting?

and usually, how long does the new product are available on the store after the Mac World event?

cause im living outside of US and not on Europe :D

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.