Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

okite-150x151.jpg

OKITE is a Japanese alarm clock app. It's designed to help users wake up, but with a twist: it sends embarrassing messages to the user's Twitter account every time they hit snooze.

Tofugu, a blog covering Japanese culture, points out that this type of public shaming is uniquely punishing in Japan:
The interesting cultural thing about this app is the whole public shaming thing. In America when you do something shameful it's all about the person doing the shameful thing. "What's wrong with you?" "Why would you do that?" etc. In Japan, it's kind of the opposite. When someone does something shameful, it's always "What will the neighbors think?" and "What will your classmates think?" Public shame is the most terrifying motivator of all in Japan, and this app plays right in to that.
The app sends out a wide variety of Tweets, some silly and some downright odd.

"From today on I'm going to head to work via unicycle."

"I want to buy a fast red Ferrari and a horse!"

"Just as I thought, I want to become a stewardess."

OKITE is available free on the App Store, but only in Japanese. It isn't localized into English. [iTunes]

Article Link: Japanese App Tweets Embarrassing Things If You Oversleep

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I could see this work better if you could make your own embarrassing tweets. These arent even that funny or embarrassing.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
There will be 87 English language ripoffs in the App Store by Tuesday.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Ok, that must be one of the cultural differences I didn't yet got usd to ... These comittment for self-embarrassment is also present in several daily TV shows ...

A much cuter example of apps working mostly in local culture context is "SmartTub". That simulate a Japanese bathtube with the cover you put on top because of water is shared with other family members. But only on iPad2 with smart over

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I know I read somewhere that an alarm app had a thing where it sent a small donation on your behalf every time you hit snooze.

Would be awesome if you could pick your charity but the app sent all the money to one I did not know anyting about.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Sad that so many people care that much about what other people think.

That kind of statement would be unheard of in Japanese culture, because not caring about what other people think is pretty unheard of. ;) The entire language is structured around being polite, as is Japanese culture in general. You can't really get by in Japanese society without caring about other people to some degree. I think it's a good thing.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

In a way, it's sad how people in the USA don't give a **** what others think.

I've heard that some Japanese CEOs who drive their companies into bankruptcy commit suicide due to the shame. Anyone know if that's true? I know this sounds horrible, but in some ways, that sounds a bit better than those American CEOs who get the golden parachutes worth millions of dollars. I'm sure there are some that worked their a**es off to prevent their companies from being even worse, but, IMO, they weren't good enough to deserve millions.

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

guzhogi said:

I've heard that some Japanese CEOs who drive their companies into bankruptcy commit suicide due to the shame. Anyone know if that's true? I know this sounds horrible, but in some ways, that sounds a bit better than those American CEOs who get the golden parachutes worth millions of dollars. I'm sure there are some that worked their a**es off to prevent their companies from being even worse, but, IMO, they weren't good enough to deserve millions.

I know at least they do it figuratively. I'm sure many people will not fully understand the point/impact this app is attempting to give. Especially since the force of some sayings are lost in translation. English has common saying that have cultural heritage attatched to them and because of that, they too make no sense when translated.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011

Not every Japanese CEO will (obviously), but suicide is considered a way to save face in such a shameful situation, so it happens.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I wish i could be as creative as the japanese, I really wish to visit japan some time. Scratch that, I need to visit the world.

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

japhillips87 said:
I actually do ride a unicycle to work!

Embarrassed for you

( T_T)\(^-^ )

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
*Snooze* "I spent .99 cents on an app that posts strange phrases on my twitter account."

What will my neighbors think? :(

Last edited:

fdv

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I know I read somewhere that an alarm app had a thing where it sent a small donation on your behalf every time you hit snooze.

Would be awesome if you could pick your charity but the app sent all the money to one I did not know anyting about.
This sounds like a much better idea.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Even better...

Every time you push the snooze button it sends a message to the boss telling him/her that you are going to be X minutes late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.