Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
(I'm new here, hopefully I am posting in the right place)

Does anyone have this file: javase6dp9.dmg ?

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I need java 6 developer preview 9 because someone asked me to help them get minecraft running on their PowerBook g4. Dp9 is the last version of java 6 that works on ppc.

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Darn, however I might have a dmg that works. I cant test it myself as I dont own a powerpc and not at the other persons house right now. Can you test it? https://www.mediafire.com/?cnuqkr6gccw2hh9

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
I need java 6 developer preview 9 because someone asked me to help them get minecraft running on their PowerBook g4. Dp9 is the last version of java 6 that works on ppc.

I knew it was probably Minecraft.:p

I'm gonna warn you, the performance might not be pretty. I run Minecraft on my PowerBook 1.25ghz and have to keep everything down just to get over 20 frames. :(

Also, Minecraft has a minor/major glitch in the lighting. All torches have a blue color to them.:confused:

What PowerPC does your friend have, if you don't mind me asking?

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
PowerBook g4 12 inch. I can't remember the clock speed but I think its the 1ghz or higher one. Also, have you tried optifine?

Last edited:

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I knew it was probably Minecraft.:p

I'm gonna warn you, the performance might not be pretty. I run Minecraft on my PowerBook 1.25ghz and have to keep everything down just to get over 20 frames. :(

Also, Minecraft has a minor/major glitch in the lighting. All torches have a blue color to them.:confused:

What PowerPC does your friend have, if you don't mind me asking?

Also what version of Minecraft are you using?

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Also what version of Minecraft are you using?

I use 1.5.2 since it uses Java 5.

--

So I installed the Java 6 but no luck. Minecraft gives me a "No compaitible version of Java 1.6+"

I'll check out Optifine for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 210

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I use 1.5.2 since it uses Java 5.

--

So I installed the Java 6 but no luck. Minecraft gives me a "No compaitible version of Java 1.6+"

I'll check out Optifine for it.

Ok, did you do java -version? I might have a few more methods to try. If java -version returns 1.6 then I might be able to get a newer one. I have a Mac Dev account.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Ok, did you do java -version? I might have a few more methods to try. If java -version returns 1.6 then I might be able to get a newer one. I have a Mac Dev account.

We were close, but the 1.6 you linked is Intel only, even though the installer installs on PPC, which is weird.

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
We were close, but the 1.6 you linked is Intel only, even though the installer installs on PPC, which is weird.

I have a few more versions available in my Dev downloads.

----------

I have a few more versions available in my Dev downloads.

This is some of what I can access (I can probably access even more):

http://imgur.com/zpa4QJy
http://imgur.com/C2M2daS

(I have a Mac Dev account)

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Enzocagg said:
I cant test it myself as I dont own a powerpc and not at the other persons house right now.
If you have to service PPC Users now and then, maybe it is worthwhile getting one in the future a PowerMac G4s start at 10-20,- (without shipping). The highest specked possible ibook starts at 40,- IIRC, average Powerbook around 40,- too.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Yep, update 9. Would lower or higher work?

It'd have to be a lower version since update 9 is Intel only. Either that or we figure out a way to rig up Soylatte in the update 9 package (and that is likely close to impossible).

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
If you have to service PPC Users now and then, maybe it is worthwhile getting one in the future a PowerMac G4s start at 10-20,- (without shipping). The highest specked possible ibook starts at 40,- IIRC, average Powerbook around 40,- too.

Just got a 1.33ghz iBook g4 14 inch.

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Congratulations!

This is the October 2004 model, http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_g4_1.33_14.html
the July 2005 model (last available) would have gotten you a max of 1.5GB RAM (instead of 1.25GB) and an ATI 9550 (instead of ATI 9200). But still, a nice machine, I don't play Minecraft, though, so I don't know how it will be in that scenario.

A friend gave it to me. I would of gotten a higher end ppc Mac if I was going to buy one, I probably will soon, but the iBook will be good enough for now. I tested minecraft on it, and I can get around 30fps on a server (128keaton's).

Also, update on java 6 for ppc, I got the developer preview to run on 10.4.11. Terminal still says I have java 1.5, but when I run the minecraft 1.6 launcher it says I am running java_1.6.0-dp. Unfortunately, I got stuck at starting launcher.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Also, update on java 6 for ppc, I got the developer preview to run on 10.4.11. Terminal still says I have java 1.5, but when I run the minecraft 1.6 launcher it says I am running java_1.6.0-dp. Unfortunately, I got stuck at starting launcher.

Which is why I brought up the idea of rigging it up by replacing components with items from Soylatte until the Java VM registers as something for PowerPC. Again, it's likely not possible, but worth at least a look.

Enzocagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Which is why I brought up the idea of rigging it up by replacing components with items from Soylatte until the Java VM registers as something for PowerPC. Again, it's likely not possible, but worth at least a look.

Once I get my ram upgrade for my iBook G4, I will look into it.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Mods don't like torrents--AT ALL! You might want to remove the link and say to PM for the link. Torrent links in PM's tend to be acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.