Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The thing most people don't realize is that Apple, not Sun, writes JAVA for the Mac platform. You cannot get JAVA 6 today, because Sun has not written it for Mac. You will only be able to get JAVA 6 about 3-6 months after Sun releases, and Apple can duplicate it to operate in OS X.

TEG

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
The thing most people don't realize is that Apple, not Sun, writes JAVA for the Mac platform. You cannot get JAVA 6 today, because Sun has not written it for Mac. You will only be able to get JAVA 6 about 3-6 months after Sun releases, and Apple can duplicate it to operate in OS X.

TEG

But it's not like Apple has to wait until Sun makes an official release for Apple to get started. They've had Java 6 Developer Preview builds out for quite some time; the current version has been out since September.

It's kind of annoying how behind they are on Java. It took way too long for them to release Java 5. And I really hate how you can't get the latest Java version on older versions of Mac OS - i.e., there's no Java 5 for 10.3. So lame.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
But it's not like Apple has to wait until Sun makes an official release for Apple to get started. They've had Java 6 Developer Preview builds out for quite some time; the current version has been out since September.

It's kind of annoying how behind they are on Java. It took way too long for them to release Java 5. And I really hate how you can't get the latest Java version on older versions of Mac OS - i.e., there's no Java 5 for 10.3. So lame.

In earlier releases, they apparently wanted us to upgrade to a newer release of Mac OS X to get the latest Java release. With the test of Java 6 on 10.4.x, it would seem that they've changed a bit. Hopefully, the release won't lag so long and it'll be available for 10.4.x and 10.5.x.

It looks as though performance has once again been increased and, of course, the extra functionality can't hurt development.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Seeing as my university still manages with the archaic Java 1.2 :eek:, I don't think waiting a few more weeks/months for Java 1.6 matters much, as developers are hardly likely to release stuff that requires it just yet ;).

Great Dave

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
I picked it up in the software update today ;-) Lovely how time flies...

Do you mean you got this:
"Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 6
79.7MB 2007-12-13
Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 6 delivers improved reliability and compatibility for J2SE 5.0 and Java 1.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.10 and later. This release updates J2SE 5.0 to version 1.5.0_13 and Java 1.4 to version 1.4.2_16. See the release notes for more information."

Because this is still Java 5 and not Java 6.

You got me excited that Apple - a year after Windows and Linux has had it - finally released Java 6. Too bad. Still NO!!

C'Mon!! Let's go Apple!!

ShosMeister

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
Does this update provide any support for bluetooth in Java? I've been looking for the library to do some Java coding but it appears to be PC only - at least the free one from Sun.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
This delay of Java 6 for Mac is totally ridiculous. I wouldn't like to be a Java developer on a Mac... having to wait more than a year to use the latest version from Sun, just because Apple insisted on writing the JVM themselves. Which, they obviously do not prioritize at all.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Yeah, join the disappointed bunch. They used to be so loud about Java working out of the box and being integrated nicely compared to Windows, but now it seems that's all gone.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've been upset as well - I don't mind a slight delay, but this is ridiculous. Java 5 has most of the cool new stuff, and Java 6 isn't critical for most developers, but it's a true pain. Plus, Apple's practically gone out of their way to make it more and more difficult to integrate Java and Objective C.

Grrr.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Not to dredge up more ill will, but I was quite astonished to learn that the Java-ObjC bridge development was being discontinued, with the whole justification being along the lines of

http://www.thesoftwareunderground.com/2005/07/apple-deprecates-cocoa-java-real-story.html

I think Apple just decided that it was time to move on. They most likely decided that they had taken Cocoa-Java as far as they wanted to and spent enough money on it.

Only later they announced that a Ruby ObjC bridge was being built.

How about that for commitment?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Not to dredge up more ill will, but I was quite astonished to learn that the Java-ObjC bridge development was being discontinued,

Even when Hiligass's book was written it wasn't being used.

Only later they announced that a Ruby ObjC bridge was being built.

How about that for commitment?

Due to the way types work, Ruby is a better fit, also they may see more use than Java did.

I do agree that Apple have taken their sweet time with this one, I'd expect post iPhone and post Leopard for it to be out soon.

bloomberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
This might be old news but JDK6 is available for leopard from the ADC. I've been using for about a week and it works great. Better late than never! :)

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
This might be old news but JDK6 is available for leopard from the ADC. I've been using for about a week and it works great. Better late than never! :)
Slightly incorrect -- the developer preview 8 is available for 64-bit Intel machines, however its definatelly not a complete JDK6, and its incompatibility is absurd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.