Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canyonlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Arizona
I have twice tried to install the Java for OS X 2013-003 1.0 update to my early 2013 rMBP running OS X 10.8.3.

On both occasions after the update install a flashing window starts appearing asking if I wand to allow "java" to accept incoming network connections. The window flashes off so fast that neither button can be clicked.

On both occasions the only way I could stop this behavior was to restore the computer to the state where it was prior to the attempted update install using SuperDuper and a backup.

Does anybody understand what is going on and how it may be resolved?

Thanks

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
I had the same problem using SPSS 21 (an app that requires java) on OS X 10.8. I blocked all incoming network connections in the firewall settings, and the message does not appear anymore.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Look in System Preferences > Security > FireWall > FireWall Options.

There you will find a list of processes that have been granted or denied access. If Java is there, you can amend the setting. If not, add it.

canyonlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Arizona
My Java Illiteracy

I have looked in the Firewall Options as you suggested. Java is not there. How do I add it?

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I have twice tried to install the Java for OS X 2013-003 1.0 update to my early 2013 rMBP running OS X 10.8.3.

On both occasions after the update install a flashing window starts appearing asking if I wand to allow "java" to accept incoming network connections. The window flashes off so fast that neither button can be clicked.

On both occasions the only way I could stop this behavior was to restore the computer to the state where it was prior to the attempted update install using SuperDuper and a backup.

Does anybody understand what is going on and how it may be resolved?

Thanks

I would install the Java 7u21 from Oracle. If you get the JDK, it will install the plugin and JRE/JDK. Works well on my machine.

canyonlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Arizona
Thus the Java Confusion

Elbert C, thanks for the reply, but when I click the + button in Firewalls and then navigate to Applications>Utilities, there is no Java or Java Preferences??

----------

stchman, thank you for the recommendation, but this part of my total bamfuzzlement with Java.

What is Java 7u21? And why do I need it from Oracle vs. Apple? What is the JDK? And why do I need the plugin and the JRE/JDK?

Is there a "Java and Mountain Lion for Dummies" somewhere that would help this mere mortal?

Thanks

arunpg123

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
me too... :( :( :(

Even i had the same issue. same messages and even more

i had no issues. but right now , after the updates last week, finder frequently crashes.

seems like its the update that caused it.. not sure what to do ..
anyone ??

thanks

sparker

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2006
Colorado
I'm seeing the same problem. I have added "java" to the firewall. The messages appear in the console about 2 or three times per minute.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.