Java help with xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by phiber optik, Apr 25, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2006
    Hey guys i was having some trouble compiling/running some simple java code on my mac and i was wondering if you guys could help me out. This is very simple code to get me started with java, but whenver i run it i get this output:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
    at factorial.main(

java has exited with status 1.

i really dont know what to do with the code or anything. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here's the code.
    import java.util.*;

public class factorial {

public static void main(String[] args) {
    int input = Integer.parseInt(args[0]);
    double result = factorial(input);

public static double factorial(int x) {
    if (x < 0)
    return 0.0;
    double fact = 1.0;
    while(x > 1) {
    fact = fact * x;

x = x - 1;
    return fact;
  2. macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2003
    are you running it with something like "java factorial 8"? if you just run it with "java factorial", there is no argument for args[], thus making any index out of bounds.

EDIT: i'm assuming it compiled okay, because your code compiled fine for me
  3. macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    It must be this line:

int input = Integer.parseInt(args[0]);

That array, args, contains the arguments you put on the command line. It looks like you didn't put any. For example, you're probably typing this when you run it:

java factorial

when you need to put a number at the end:

java factorial 10

This will make the value at args[0] be 10.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2006
    well, the only thing im doing to run this program is to click compile and run, im not typing any numbers in. How would i open the file with a number as an argument? Could i go into the terminal and run the program with that argument and do it that way?
    Thanks for the help!
  5. macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    Yes, you can do this from the Terminal. I don't know Xcode very well, so I have no idea how to do it there, sorry.
  6. macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2003
    that's exactly how you would do it. you can't just double-click the .java file after compiling. it is a command-line application. go into terminal and type "java factorial x" where x is an integer.

and not to get on a soap box, but that is where some good error checking code would help. check that there is at least one index of args[] and that it is an int before you continue with the rest of the code. if both conditions are not met, you can output a friendly error message. as others might agree, i seem to spend almost as much time error checking as i do actually writing a program! not really, but it is an important aspect.
  7. macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    I agree, but you have to pick your battles when you're helping someone that's new to programming. Let's learn about command-line arguments before we move on to that...

Besides, a new programmer won't appreciate good error checking until they get burned a few times anyway. This is just one such time. Gotta let them learn the hard way. :D
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2006
    great. it looks like it works through the terminal, but im getting another error:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: factorial
    i still get the same error if i dont even put in an argument
    do i have to be in the same directory as the file or can i be anywhere when im running the code from terminal (im assuming anywhere)
    thanks for the help!
  9. macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    You need to be in the same directory.

If you go there and don't see a factorial.class file, you need to execute:

Then you will be able to run it as we've discussed.
  10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2006
    it works!! amazing! thanks for the help.
    oh, and for those who were curious, the factorial of 8 is 40320 :D