Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
jamdr said:
Yeah, this isn't good for my deadlines, either. Thanks Apple for another outstanding upgrade.

No offense, but why on earth would you install an OS update if you had deadlines? I know that they're "supposed to just work" but cmon, why take that chance? If it ain't broke...

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Works fine here as well...

Attachments

• eclipse.jpg
    eclipse.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 157

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
No offense, but why on earth would you install an OS update if you had deadlines? I know that they're "supposed to just work" but cmon, why take that chance? If it ain't broke...

Some of us live from deadline to deadline - if we waited for 'downtime' to upgrade, we'd be ready around the time Mac OS 11.6 comes out. So it may as well be now.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
gallivant said:
Some of us live from deadline to deadline - if we waited for 'downtime' to upgrade, we'd be ready around the time Mac OS 11.6 comes out. So it may as well be now.

Okay, if you live deadline to deadline, and they're really important, why not wait to update and see if anyone has problems? That's what I do, and I don't even really have deadlines...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
stoid said:
What I don't understand is how it is even remotely possible that Apple didn't catch this problem in seeding to developers. They would be the MOST likely to have the JVM running, and therefore would have noticed that the update broke Java. This is the kind of crap that I'd expect from Microsoft, not from Apple.

This is probably the 3rd time I've run into issues but this is the worst. Usually, it's only that the development code is out of sync but obviously, this time, it's much more than that.

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
chiapet said:
Someone on the discussion boards on apple's site reinstalled Security Update 2005-002 and his java came back. My java died and I re-applied this update and now it's back again.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@748.XF4kaLK1Q0j.7@.68ac4201

This worked for me too. In my case I updated two machines from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9, my new Powerbook and my old iBook. On the PB java worked fine after the upgrade, on the iBook I got the segfault.

I believe the iBook was likely running a java application (JPluck) at the time I did the upgrade, and this is the reason that it had the problem while the PB was ok - the 10.3.9 installer was unable to perform some process due to the existing java instance locking resources.

In any case, I've been reading various forums and have yet to find anyone report that reinstalling the Security Update 002 failed to solve the problem, so give it a go! :)

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I was going to post about the fix (reinstalling the 2005-002 security fix, oddly enough), but I see that's been covered. This seems to have been quite a widespread problem, and many people aren't going to be reading online forums for a solution. Java will probably get blamed for "not working" and casual OS X users will have yet another reason to take issue with Java (now it'll be slower, more outdated, and more unreliable than Java for Windows and Linux :rolleyes: ). This is quite a setback for Java developers on OS X. I hope Apple does something to fix this and not depend on users to reinstall the security update.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Someone in another thread suggested that this problem happens if you are actually running Java when you do the 10.3.9 update. Also, reinstalling the security update fixes the problem only because it does a pre-bind again, which you can do from the terminal directly: sudo update_prebinding.

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
daveL said:
Also, reinstalling the security update fixes the problem only because it does a pre-bind again, which you can do from the terminal directly: sudo update_prebinding.

Others' mileage may vary, but I tried updating prebinding manually (and then rebooting) as a first-try fix before re-applying the Security Update, and this didn't help..

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
shambolic said:
Others' mileage may vary, but I tried updating prebinding manually (and then rebooting) as a first-try fix before re-applying the Security Update, and this didn't help..
Good to know. I wonder why this seems to differ from one system to the next? Anyway, at least there's a solution. I didn't have the problem, so I can't comment directly.

z24561

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2005
HI
I found another solution (easier)

Let me start out saying that this does work, but it does involve modifying a system file. go to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/. Now, here's the tricky part: get the info of version.plist. Check the preferences and change it from "system" to <administrator's name>. Now open version.plist with vim through Terminal. to do this type:

vim /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist

You'll have to change it from:

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>2.0.0</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>2.0.0</string>

to:

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.3.5</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.3.5</string>

This change will enable you to run the Java 1.4.2 Update 2. Once you've run that and restart it, everything should be fine. (Note: you can change the version number anywhere from 1.3.2 to 1.4.1, but I personally put in 1.3.5 and that worked. If you put in any other value, you'll have the same problem. Also, I have not checked to see if changing the values back to what they should have been after that update would work. If it does, this would of course not involve a restart.)

if you don't know how to use vim, here's a quick run through:

the arrow buttons move the cursor (not the mouse-click)
<i> makes it possible to "insert" changes
hit <esc> when you have finished making the changes
type ":w" to save, ":w!" to force save
type ":q" to quit, ":q!" to force quit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.