Java Support in Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Dr. No, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Dr. No macrumors regular

Apple recently upgraded their Java VM to 1.4.2 in OS X. But there is one "catch"- it can only be accessed through WebKit. This means only Safari can use the new Java! Other browsers (like Firefox) are stuck with 1.3.1, a very old version.

Does Apple have plans to fix this? This seems like a major drawback in OS X.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, I don't think Apple has any plans to fix this Microsoft-like issue that they created. However, you can download JavaEmbeddingPlugin0.8.9 and install it in Internet plug-ins and it should work fine, but of course, it's still beta.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Safari is most certainly not the only WebKit-based browser. If you are going to whine, at least get your facts straight.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree that it's a stupid idea on Apple's part. I think Apple should not only fix this issue, but also eliminate the whole dual Java install thing - hopefully they'll do this with Tiger and make Java 5 the ONLY Java version on Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger", accessible to all applications equally. While they're at it, QuickTime for Java needs to be fixed so that Java updates don't keep breaking it :mad:

EDIT: spelling

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

This just seems silly on Apples part.

I'm able to use java 1.4.2 for anything else except browser plug-ins in non-web-kit based browser, why aren't the plug-in stuff updated?