Java Support in Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Dr. No, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Dr. No macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2003
    Apple recently upgraded their Java VM to 1.4.2 in OS X. But there is one "catch"- it can only be accessed through WebKit. This means only Safari can use the new Java! Other browsers (like Firefox) are stuck with 1.3.1, a very old version.

Does Apple have plans to fix this? This seems like a major drawback in OS X.
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    No, I don't think Apple has any plans to fix this Microsoft-like issue that they created. However, you can download JavaEmbeddingPlugin0.8.9 and install it in Internet plug-ins and it should work fine, but of course, it's still beta.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Safari is most certainly not the only WebKit-based browser. If you are going to whine, at least get your facts straight.
  4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I agree that it's a stupid idea on Apple's part. I think Apple should not only fix this issue, but also eliminate the whole dual Java install thing - hopefully they'll do this with Tiger and make Java 5 the ONLY Java version on Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger", accessible to all applications equally. While they're at it, QuickTime for Java needs to be fixed so that Java updates don't keep breaking it :mad:

EDIT: spelling
  5. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    This just seems silly on Apples part.

I'm able to use java 1.4.2 for anything else except browser plug-ins in non-web-kit based browser, why aren't the plug-in stuff updated?