Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I keep my Macs updated every day, I run "Software Update" and "MacUpdate". Then today I get a message in FireFox that there is a an updated version of Java available.

I check using the other tools, and the one I have installed (version JavaForOSX2013-002 / 13) is the latest one. However, Oracle tells me it is "jre-7u17-macosx-x64". What's going on?

/Bo

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Don't use a link inside a browser to update Java nor Flash, Java will be in Software Update or the Java Control Panel and for Flash go to Adobe's site, don't ever do it in a browser.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
That update 17 which was suggested was indeed from Oracle. So, why is Oracle suggesting one version, and MacUpdate and Apple another one?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That update 17 which was suggested was indeed from Oracle. So, why is Oracle suggesting one version, and MacUpdate and Apple another one?

I find Java a complete mess and the versioning is incomprehensible, I don't need Java, many people don't need it, I think I had a need for it for my USB 3G stick but found out myself that if I installed the drivers OS X networking provides the rest, another program which I liked was Cyberduck but since it's Java I don't use it anymore.

There's plenty of alternative Apps which do not need Java, and for most people Java in Safari is also not needed.

I just avoid Java.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The simplest explanation I can think of:

The version confusion results from a sourcing change for Java between major version 6 and major version 7. 6 and earlier were provided by Apple. 7 and later are provided by Oracle. This fact means that updaters for one source don't know about the other one.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The simplest explanation I can think of:

The version confusion results from a sourcing change for Java between major version 6 and major version 7. 6 and earlier were provided by Apple. 7 and later are provided by Oracle. This fact means that updaters for one source don't know about the other one.

Exactly, confusing for many.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.