Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jetblue-fl...-slater-arrested-flight-jfk/story?id=11361298

"A frustrated JetBlue flight attendant allegedly fled his plane via emergency chute -- beer in hand -- after getting into a fight with a passenger and then cursing out the entire cabin over a loudspeaker.

JetBlue worker Steven Slater allegedly fled plane via an emergency slide.

The JetBlue flight from Pittsburgh arrived at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport shortly after noon. As the plane was taxiing to the gate, one of the passengers apparently got out of his seat to grab a bag from an overhead compartment.

The flight attendant walked over to tell him he had to sit down. The two reportedly got into an argument and somehow the flight attendant got hit in the head with either the bag or the compartment door.

At that point, the flight attendant got on the loud speaker, told those aboard to "go ******* themselves," grabbed a beer from the galley, deployed the chute and ran into the terminal. His car was parked at an employee lot and he drove home.

The attendant was arrested at his nearby home about a half an hour later by Port Authority police. Steven Slater, 38, of the Belle Harbor section of Queens, N.Y., has been charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment, according to a spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, which runs the New York-area airports. The case is still being investigated but will be referred to the Queens District Attorney's office.

JetBlue would not say how long Slater has worked for the airline, but his LinkedIn profile says he worked as a flight attendant since 1994, when he worked for the former Business Express. He also worked for the now-defunct TWA and for Delta, then apparently had a job as the Burberry accessories shop manager at Bloomingdale's. According to the profile, at JetBlue he is a member of the "inflight values committee" and is the chairman of the "uniform redesign committee."

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Your blurb left out the part where the passenger assaulted said flight attendant and left him with a laceration on his forehead just above his eye.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Your blurb left out the part where the passenger assaulted said flight attendant and left him with a laceration on his forehead just above his eye.

If this is the case, its stories like these which prove that the media distorts actual truth and make it worse for the actual victim. Even the police who do have more info than the media, BELIEVE the media. Such stupidity. It was completely reasonable to leave the plane if he had a serious injury.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
If this is the case, its stories like these which prove that the media distorts actual truth and make it worse for the actual victim. Even the police who do have more info than the media, BELIEVE the media. Such stupidity. It was completely reasonable to leave the plane if he had a serious injury.
It wasn't that serious of an injury if he was able to drive home and start ****ing. Deploying the slides is to be reserved for dangers to passengers and the aircraft, not as a way for the cabin crew to slam the door on the way out.

Idiots on planes these days will exaggerate anything even remotely related to "security." Assault is likely not accurate in this case seeing as the guy was able to perform quite the dramatic exit.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Grabbing a beer was so massively cool :D

The story wasn't reported well in the UK yesterday, it just said that he was arrested after 'flipping out' after a passenger opened an overhead compartment. The passenger then swore at him, he went and got a beer and went down the slide and drove off in his car.

Hugely different version of events from him being assaulted :eek:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Ditto on the grabbing a beer. It is that attention to detail that made the story.

I hope the jury throws this one out.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Grabbing a beer was so massively cool :D

The story wasn't reported well in the UK yesterday, it just said that he was arrested after 'flipping out' after a passenger opened an overhead compartment. The passenger then swore at him, he went and got a beer and went down the slide and drove off in his car.

Hugely different version of events from him being assaulted :eek:

No, the BBC story said that he was hit in the head by either the passenger or the door of the overhead compartment.

I don't care about the swearing over the intercom or even taking a beer, it's him thinking that he had the right to use the emergency slide to get out of this situation! If BA's cabin crews demands are based on the fact they are there for the safety of their passengers, what the hell is he there for?! He put the safety of passengers in danger, possibly whatever ground crew in the area and probably caused delays. Why didn't he just walk away from this man, go sob in a toilet or the galley? Yes the passenger was probably obnoxious, but doing that is completely out of line and I think he deserves to at least lose his job over this.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
No, the BBC story said that he was hit in the head by either the passenger or the door of the overhead compartment.

I don't care about the swearing over the intercom or even taking a beer, it's him thinking that he had the right to use the emergency slide to get out of this situation! If BA's cabin crews demands are based on the fact they are there for the safety of their passengers, what the hell is he there for?! He put the safety of passengers in danger, possibly whatever ground crew in the area and probably caused delays. Why didn't he just walk away from this man, go sob in a toilet or the galley? Yes the passenger was probably obnoxious, but doing that is completely out of line and I think he deserves to at least lose his job over this.

He was arrested. Probably won't do time but there will be a fine and in doing this, he essentially quit his job.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I've said it before on another thread - this guy grabbing a couple of road sodas before popping the slide and booking it is epic. I still can't stop laughing about it.

JNB

macrumors 604
The pax and the FA should be in the same cell.

No excuse—none—for either one of them. Low-rent entitlement princesses, the both of them, but I hold the FA to a higher standard. Twenty years and this is the only way he can handle an unruly, uncooperative passenger? Why was this drama queen still working?

How about phoning the cockpit and telling the flight deck crew that there's an unseated pax that refuses to be seated? Stop, set the brakes, inform the tower, and send the FO back to let them know that they're about to be arrested.

Jeebus, it's not that fekking hard.

They both jeopardized the safety of the other passengers, in clear violation of any number of laws, not to mention taking a plane out of service for easily a couple of days while a new slide is installed and signed off. And, as soon as the FA bailed, the plane was automatically in violation, now operating without the minimum required cabin crew.

I wouldn't let either one within 1000' of a commercial flight for the rest of their lives. For that matter, I wouldn't let 'em on a city bus.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
He actually snagged two for the road.;)

A necessary act, given American beer.

Jeebus, it's not that fekking hard.

I heard she busted his balls at the start of the flight, with the over-head bin thing.

And it alleged that her hard-case luggage (should this have been checked-in?) hit him on the forehead, when she tried to retrieve it in an unsafe manner, while the passengers were still required to stay seated.

I think the bitch should be charged with interfering with the performance of the cabin crew doing their jobs. At the very least.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Yes there have been a lot of different versions of the story, as far as BBC goes, remember this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02YW7qJsRE8

This kills me to no end, I died laughing. So let me get this straight, they bring on an MBA student coming into BBC for a technology management job, and then the BBC mistakenly puts this guy (his name is Guy as is the name of the person who was supposed to be interviewed) in makeup, then in front of national TV, and ask him questions about Apple Inc. vs. Apple Corps.

Man, with so many legions of MBAs out there, what a way to get noticed by the world.:D

But back on the topic, and the topic of funny, the police thought that the flight attendant could have killed somebody when he let out the inflatable slide. Man, you have to watch out for those inflatable slides. We are just losing too many people to them. I can see that the boys in blue are really fighting crime and "inflatable slides". ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.