Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Not news so much any more?

I don't know if every time a company adds ApplePay it's news?

Wouldn't a weekly roundup be more practical....

Or a list of who is NOT taking ApplePay? So that we can boycott them...

Gary

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know if every time a company adds ApplePay it's news?

Wouldn't a weekly roundup be more practical....

Or a list of who is NOT taking ApplePay? So that we can boycott them...

Gary
I think it's safe to assume that the number of those taking apple pay is growing and growing as time passes and the number that does not is dwindling and dwindling- with the exception of those CurrentC merchants which hopefully their exclusivity will run out soon.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just their existing merchant account and credit card terminal with the NFC feature turned on. aka: not much of anything.

Well then we've got to give props to Apple for getting all this free advertising. I don't remember companies pushing Google Wallet.

EDIT: I got my question answered. But I wonder how the technology works that they're able to support Pay but nothing else.

JetBlue executive Rachel McCarthy said that Apple Pay would be the only mobile wallet accepted at this time. Consumers using Google Wallet or other competing services could take advantage of mobile payment convenience "down the road."

Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Well then we've got to give props to Apple for getting all this free advertising. I don't remember companies pushing Google Wallet.

EDIT: I got my question answered. But I wonder how the technology works that they're able to support Pay but nothing else.

Iowa is working on a digital license and Delaware is close to having one out. I think shortly other states will follow suit. That's fine for traffic stops but what worries me are merchants, and if they're okay with taking a digital license.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Convenient. Always a pain to get the wallet out of my front pocket while buckled into a seat on a plane. But iPhone is generally out already and in the front pocket as I was firing off emails before the plane pulled away and to listen to music during the flight.
This will also speed up the payment process allowing the attendants to better serve the passengers. I bet they see an uptick in sales as well.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Why all the hate for JetBlue on here? I've personally never flown them (they don't come to Canada), but my impression is they're better than the major airlines.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Can I use it to buy tickets on a real airline?

JetBlue is the BEST airline I've ever flown. Much better than any of the major airlines.

Everyone gets DirecTV to watch on their own personal TV, unlimited free snacks, unlimited non-alcoholic drinks, the employees are really nice, very quick to board, and usually one of the cheapest flights.

And the most convenient way to get to southern California for us. They are the only major airliner to go into Long Beach airport, a really small airport that you can get in/out of super fast. Only one terminal and like 6 entry gates in the entire airport. The planes come right up to the windows. Super convenient.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Very cool but it does pose an additional inconvenience. Not being in a place where you have access to LTE service means you have to sign on to their wifi. Even if wifi is free, it still takes the extra step getting on the wifi network and likely pulling up a webpage so you can accept their usage policy. Seems to make ease-of-use a wash with using cash or a credit card which don't require the additional setup.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"Eddy Cue, Apple's VP for Internet software and services, told USA Today that "somebody else doing it always puts pressure on the other guy"

Yes. Like bigger screens ;)

Last edited:

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Very cool but it does pose an additional inconvenience. Not being in a place where you have access to LTE service means you have to sign on to their wifi. Even if wifi is free, it still takes the extra step getting on the wifi network and likely pulling up a webpage so you can accept their usage policy. Seems to make ease-of-use a wash with using cash or a credit card which don't require the additional setup.

Using apple pay does not require an internet connection.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Ease-of-use using cash is NOT easy on an airplane. Making change is an issue. They don't have unlimited $1 bills up there. There have been many cases where they asked people using cash to pay exact change or not to expect change back, because all the stewardesses had left were $20 bills.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

It literally pays for Apple to push it - they get a cut. I don't believe Google made that same deal :)

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Who flies Jet Blue? Virgin all the way.

I do like them and I hope they will be doing something like this soon. Virgin tends to be more cutting edge in terms of technology adoption. I wonder if Sir Branson will just say "buy your tickets on our app and use apple pay" or something like that as his announcement. :D

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm going to fly Jet Blue even if ye don't serve the cities I need just so I can use Apple Pay. :D

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Ease-of-use using cash is NOT easy on an airplane. Making change is an issue. They don't have unlimited $1 bills up there. There have been many cases where they asked people using cash to pay exact change or not to expect change back, because all the stewardesses had left were $20 bills.

I'm willing to bet I fly far more than you and have no issues using cash on a plane. Pretty simple to make sure you bring some $5s and $1s before you get on your flight. Simple to get change from any of the spots in the airport before boarding if you have to too.

Heck, if they don't have change they give it to you free. Happened on 2 of my trips in the past months.

Lets be serious here. 99% of the people on the plane don't buy a thing on any flight. They get their free soda and that's it. Very few buy a thing so while people are going "Oh awesome they'll take Apple Pay!", it won't change a thing for most. Sure a few more may buy a drink now because they don't have to remember to bring cash (though they could have run a card just like Apple Pay) but this isn't going to make a huge difference.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

No: Apple Pay does not need an Internet connection!

Further, most flights already don't allow you to use cash.

Why come here and type out such a long, misinformed post?

----------

I'm willing to bet I fly far more than you and have no issues using cash on a plane. Pretty simple to make sure you bring some $5s and $1s before you get on your flight. Simple to get change from any of the spots in the airport before boarding if you have to too.

Heck, if they don't have change they give it to you free. Happened on 2 of my trips in the past months.

Lets be serious here. 99% of the people on the plane don't buy a thing on any flight. They get their free soda and that's it. Very few buy a thing so while people are going "Oh awesome they'll take Apple Pay!", it won't change a thing for most. Sure a few more may buy a drink now because they don't have to remember to bring cash (though they could have run a card just like Apple Pay) but this isn't going to make a huge difference.

You must not fly Delta: they are credit card ONLY

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Further - those in First class are less likely to purchase anything. Not that Apple pay is something for "first class" fliers only.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Your flying experience is completely different from mine. Maybe you frequent different airlines? Or you travel for business while I travel for vacations? There are different types of customers.

Airlines are all different with their policies. On flights I take, it seems that at least 50% of people buy something. Most of the time it's alcohol, and $2 headphones that some airlines charge for. Some airlines charge for a snack-pack or a dinner, and if you've got kids they find that oreo cookie package in a snack-pack and 'NEED' it for the $4.

If you're a frequent traveler, you know the ins-and-outs and carry $1 bills, but for those infrequent vacation travelers, and this might be the first time they've flown some airline, they don't have a clue about policies. That's MOST travelers when we go on vacation.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
This is going to be an awesome convenience!

I don't like to sit on my wallet on the plane so I will often keep my credit card in one of my front pockets and put my wallet in my bag in the overhead on the flight. However, I always have my phone out to listen to music so there will now be no need for that.

Hopefully this comes to other airlines soon. I mainly fly Delta because I'm at the point where I usually get upgraded to first class. I can't see giving that up to fly Jet Blue :)

Last edited:

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Eh... I only fly first class anyway, unless I can buy wifi with Apple pay, doesn't apply to me. I'm surprised American Airlines haven't adopted this yet?

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
There is no physical difference from a Chip & PIN and Chip and Signature terminal and both can accept both types of cards. Though our terminals in the US also accommodate the electronic pens for signature transactions. But they still have a number pad can be used for either a debit PIN or a Chip & PIN card. The cards themselves are another story and it sucks that most banks want C&S instead. Though all hope isn't lost as Australia went to C&S too until recently when they went to Chip. & PIN.

Other people traveling TO the USA will have no issues using their Chip and PIN here thanks to the PIN pad in the C&S terminals, but we Americans may have some degree of trouble using Chip and Signature abroad. Though Visa and MasterCard are trying to fix that and promised by July of 2015, C&S cards will no longer an issue in those pesky self service kiosks as they'll support "NO CVM", since I doubt they'll incorprate an electronic signature pad in a European train ticket machine anytime soon.

----------

Your bank will more than likely be paying for Apple Pay if it's going to be the same setup as here in the US. The reduction of fraud alone is worth it to them.

As for store loyalty cards, at least here in the US, you can opt to type in your phone number on the credit card machine instead (I do for Safeway, Walgreens etc). Is this not an option across the pond? This alone reduced my cards down to a drivers license and a backup card.

The bank isn't paying for ApplePay, the credit card companies are. The banks are accepting liability for fraud, however. They likely won't have to pay a dime for fraud.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It literally pays for Apple to push it - they get a cut. I don't believe Google made that same deal :)

So is Apple paying companies/retailers to be Pay only for a certain period of time? I'm not even sure how that would work if Pay is supposedly based on the same NFC standards that Google Wallet and others are. I hope they're not doing that. Pay doesn't need exclusivity to be successful.

----------

"Eddy Cue, Apple's VP for Internet software and services, told USA Today that "somebody else doing it always puts pressure on the other guy"

Yes. Like bigger screens ;)

Ooh...good one. :)

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Why all the JetBlue hate? They're probably my favorite along with Southwest.

A few years ago I was flying on Christmas day and the flight was delayed maybe an hour or two. I didn't care because they offered out free bags of Terra Blue chips and soda while we waited. Then a few days later I got an email saying they just gave me a $50 voucher towards my next flight (and the flight itself only cost $100 if I recall). I thought that was pretty awesome on their part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.