Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Right. You want an big ugly Beige box sitting out on your desk or next to your television.
*sigh* Another Strawman argument?

FWIW I don't put computers on my desk or next to my TV, even the Mac Mini sits on a shelf nearby.
Also, you would be hard pressed to find an ugly Beige Box computer these days.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Again, my best guess - Pioneer.

Pioneer sold their display division to Panasonic.

Panasonic acquires KURO plasma technology

Pioneer’s highly regarded plasma TVs are leaving the scene as the company exits the television business. But with Panasonic’s new plasma lineup, few may notice.

Pioneer was the best plasma display brand on the market (plasma displays - darker blacks and a better color gamut for cinema). Apple retail always used a Pioneer plasma for their Apple TV demonstrations. It's been rumored that Panasonic is disinterested in branding their panels as Pioneer displays, and Apple is interested in taking over that division. It would make sense for a non-LED display as Apple's foray into the market: less expensive, better suited for cinema, and the panel tech is already present. Simply redesign the display with a built-in AppleTV OS structure, WiFi and/or an RJ-45 connection, and a cable connection and/or card for cable television capabilities/DVR.

Connect the display to 5.1 or 7.1 AVR and only two main devices needed for an entertainment system (unless BD is essential, an inexpensive add-on).

what about 3D displays? I recall Apple hired a guy from MIT to design "clothing" for OS interactivity.

EDIT: Apple hires 'Senior Prototype Engineer' for work on wearable computing

DeVaul will be working under Jonny Ive in a secret lab focused on wearable computing technology where only seven people besides Ive and CEO Steve Jobs know what he is doing.

OS X-esque system on a 3D display? (perhaps better suited for gaming):

Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote

Last edited by a moderator:

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Wow, 2 letters in a job description have become worthy of a posting?

I'm so tired of this type of thing. Then you read all over MacRumors, Cnet, Engadet, etc. how disappointed everyone is with something that Apple or whatever company never said they were making because someone pulled the idea out of their butt and people started having delusions of grandeur.

I'd love an Apple branded TV, but not happening. Improvements to the Apple TV most likely, or a partnership to integrate Apple TV into another companies set... unlikely but more likely than Apple making their own TV.

P.S. To those of you with such delusions of Grandeur, Apple isn't in the display market nor do they have their own manufacturing (it's all sub-contracted) where set makers are all in agreements to build displays together and generally do have their own manufacturing. Sure Apple could design a TV, but to put it to market they'd never be able to achieve a profit margin worth while. And while selling Apple your displays for mobile devices is good business, I doubt Samsung or Sony or Phillips or anyone else in partnership would bring Apple into the fold to help them compete in another category. Now when Apple buys out a company I'd believe this.

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I don't think Apple will sell a full TV--too low a profit margin involved.

Now, a full-blown set top box with Apple TV plus DVR functionality--that makes WAY more sense. That way, this set top box will work with any TV that supports HDMI 1.3a connections.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
I don't know. I think it makes more sense for them to develop some sort of app that TV makers can choose to install.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Has anyone made a beige Windows box since the 90's? I sure haven't seen one since about then.

No, they're grey/black plastic now:

Dell PowerEdge Tower Servers

OriginalPng
monitor-dell-u2410-overview1.jpg

Regardless of my disappointment in Apple's lack of Prosumer/Professional grade systems, form wise, I'd take this any day:

overview-hero.jpg
MC007

Heck, I took an old PowerMac G5 case, gutted it and for less than a new Mac Pro stuck in a new board/processor, etc. Took a long time but was fun.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
No, they're grey/black now:

Dell PowerEdge Tower Servers

Regardless of my disappointment in Apple's lack of Prosumer/Professional grade systems, form wise, I'd take this any day:

Heck, I took an old PowerMac G5 case, gutted it and for less than a new Mac Pro stuck in a new board/processor, etc. Took a long time but was fun.

But remember, this is one manufacturer among many, and there will be a lot of styles out there, and personally I like my tech to be black, its my preference. What I value most in my computer is functionality over how pretty it looks, why I got the optional Blu-Ray writer in my laptop. But I also really like how it looks, so I feel I got the best of both worlds with my purchase. But thats just my preference. I have friends that, like me, prefer a matte black laptop, one of my friends went for the black carbon fiber and aluminum laptop, another friend, went for the 'lights shining out of every orifice' option with his, I think his computer is ugly as sin, but he thinks mine is boring.

Also remember how nuts people went over the Black Macbook?

And what if you don't like the look of solid Aluminum everywhere? What if it bored you, you're a big screwed there.

hp-pavilion-a6645f-verde-special-edition-desktop.jpg

In my opinion I feel this looks better than the Mac Pro.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I could imagine this hypothetical Apple TV no longer being supported by the ecosystem after 2 years due to some real or contrived hardware limitation.

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
In my opinion I feel this looks better than the Mac Pro.

I agree. The Mac "Pro" has a dated and thoughtless look. Apple hasn't done anything with their "Pro" line nor "Pro" software in years, other than incremental updates. They're only into iEntertainment gadgets from here out. If they could just find a way to push iOS in more platforms, they would have to do less work. iOS on a Mac "Pro"!!! Less work.. more sales. That's the Apple way!!

The other poster using a Dell as a benchmark for all PCs out there is pretty sad. There are quite a few good looking cases and internal designs that crush the Mac Pro. But when you're being a walled garden, you only see what you want to see, hence you think Dell is really the only competition out there.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Little Boxes

And what if you don't like the look of solid Aluminum everywhere? What if it bored you, you're a big screwed there.

Point: Apple has switched to aluminum not because of form, but function.

1. Aluminum facilitates greatly in cooling

2. Aluminum is recyclable

Apple has been slowly eliminating plastics in almost every product they produce. The iPhone 4 has front and back glass with aluminum sides. The iPad consists of a glass front and aluminum back. Apple utilizes arsenic and mercury free glass. Over the past ~5 years Apple has made every effort in becoming one of the first successful electronics/computer companies that is environmentally aware.

The story behind apple's environmental footprint

For those complaining about the aluminum and glass, it's not just form, there is an excellent reason why Apple has been utilizing such materials… although I wouldn't mind a liquid metal/black case, that'd be sweet…

Apple hasn't done anything with their "Pro" line nor "Pro" software in years, other than incremental updates. They're only into iEntertainment gadgets from here out.

Agreed. Dropping a dedicated display line, XServe, Resolution Independence, OpenGL 3.0+ support, lack of native 64-bit apps, Shake, little OS X 10.7 development (not beta's for developers when every 10.X release had at least a year of beta's is unfortunate), more iDevices and less Prosumer level systems does not bode well for those who use Apple products for their careers.

The other poster using a Dell as a benchmark for all PCs out there is pretty sad. There are quite a few good looking cases and internal designs that crush the Mac Pro.

Really? … I mean… really?

design_expansion_hero20100727.png
397987209_0a1776d452.jpg

Malvina Reynolds - "Little boxes"

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,1
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

sony-laptop.jpg

panasonic_toughbook_cf_30_fully_rugged_laptop_1252073128.jpg

n110-laptop.jpg

4414.jpg

Meh, not impressed.

Have you ever looked inside a Mac Pro? I've built many systems, including Hackint0shes, but the beauty and simplicity of the Mac Pro is not looks, but how well the interior is designed. Easy access to four SATA drives that take no time to swap, the optical drives, and the RAM and processor board of the new systems slide right out. No hanging wires strapped together, loud fans, crowded systems: like it or not, Apple has a great industrial design team headed by Jonny Ive. It's not about form, it's about the balance of form and function, and Apple is far and above the competition.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Ive seen PC towers where you can unclip the hard drives out from the front, without needing to open up the side or get under your desk.

You didn't even need to turn the computer off during the switch, the same went for the optical drives.

As the for untidiness of the PC picture you posted, I've built PC's before, in fact part of my job covers doing it occasionally, and it largely comes down to the person building it, that person obviously didn't care about how tidy the inside was.

As for what to do if you don't like the look of the Mac. The reason was not purely environmental.
Apple not so green after all
Apple iPhone Toxic Report
Apple ranked lowest for Green Companies

And I still stand by my preference for choice.
vaio_tz_series_hero_black-thumb.jpg

hp-envy-17-laptop.jpg

hp-rolls-out-new-systems-at-ces-1.jpg

dell_desktop.bmp

Acer%204000%20Ferrari%20Laptop.JPG

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
As for what to do if you don't like the look of the Mac. The reason was not purely environmental.
Apple not so green after all
Apple iPhone Toxic Report
Apple ranked lowest for Green Companies

A group of Chinese nongovernmental agencies issued a report that accuses Apple and other IT companies of working with suppliers that have used chemicals that have made their workers sick

1) "Apple Not So Green After-all" - Chinese nongovernment agencies. hmmmmm

2) You referenced a rather outdated article. Example: "Apple ranked lowest for Green Companies"

Apple not so green when it comes to the environment, says Greenpeace

By Adam Turner
Sunday, 10 December 2006 17:22

It was Greenpeace that lit the fire under Apple's collective arse, and since 2007 Apple has WORKED with Greenpeace in leading the electronics industry in eco-conscious manufacturing and materials.

3) I regret for the few incidents that Apple was not more on top of every aspect of such suppliers as Foxconn and every single aspect of their suppliers' actions. However, when these issues do arise, Apple does take action to remedy the situation.

4) These small issues do not negate the major changes that Apple has made in the electronics industry to lessen e-waste and negative environmental impact

5) I've built all sorts of systems, and yes it certainly comes down to the person building them/it and the customers needs/cash. However, nothing compares to the genius and simplicity of the Mac Pro and iMac. I still have yet to see another competitor design and sell a successful all-in-one LED LCD quad core system as with the current iMac.

Let's take the Dell "Adamo" versus the "MacBook Air" (from PCWorld 2008):

The Dell Adamo, on the other hand, offers lesser parts and…charges…more? Really? Let's go over this. Dell's high-style PCs cost between $1999 and $2699. The Adamo maxes out at a 1.4GHz CPU but compensates with 4GB of RAM to handle a 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium... But, not much of a surprise, the Adamo got slapped around by our PC WorldBench 6 suite. It scored a 64. As far as ultraportable performance goes, it's sad. Very sad. That's probably the biggest mark against the Adamo, up front. But there are some more features that are worth consideration besides horsepower.

What became of the "Adamo"? Hmmmmm:

Dell Adamo: RIP MacBook Air Rival​

By Jared Newman, PCWorld Feb 9, 2011 7:26 AM​

(Just so you know I'm referencing current information ;) )

Some people like hot dogs, others a good filet mignon. Doesn't make one or the other wrong or right :)

PS A Ferrari Acer? … Really? … ;)

I'm waiting for a laptop with this on it:
140.jpg

or

ipad_decal_sticker2-234x300.jpg

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
PS A Ferrari Acer? … Really? … ;)

I know, should have been an Aston Acer :D

P.S Ive never liked Dell, I still associate them with 'Horrible Cheapness' no matter how people say they've changed. ;)

Maybe he's just bitter because my £1,270 Vaio walked all over his LED dispenser he calls an Alienware, which cost him £2,300 :rolleyes:

I have nothing against the design of the MBP, infect I'm picking one up when I go to New York, because the cost difference makes it a steal.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I know, should have been an Aston Acer :D

P.S Ive never liked Dell, I still associate them with 'Horrible Cheapness' no matter how people say they've changed. ;)

Maybe he's just bitter because my £1,270 Vaio walked all over his LED dispenser he calls an Alienware, which cost him £2,300 :rolleyes:

LOL to be honest, I couldn't care less. Windows, OS X, it all comes down to preference and needs. Personally, I work a lot with environmental groups (yes, I'm a "semi" tree hugger) so I do support Apple's greener initiatives. Are they perfect? Heck no. At least they're showing the industry that you can go green without going red.

As for design, it's one of my many fields ("jack of all trades" kinda guy). When I bring clients in, it's not flash but the sleek look of my displays and system that make presentations stand out. Does it negate Dell, NEC or EIZO displays? Not at all. Just personal preference.

However I strongly believe that Apple is neglecting the Prosumer market. Dropping XServe, lack of OpenGL 3.0 support, no 10.7 developer beta's as with previous 10.X releases beta's were steadily released at least a year before the GM build, no Resolution Independence, lack of a unified Finder/GUI, lack of Pro App development - Apple seems more focused on iOS and iDevices. Along with a lack of an affordable mid-tower as the PowerMac and a dedicated display line as the ACD CCFL LCD's, it doesn't seem likely those who use Mac's for work have much to look forward to in the near future.

If future iterations don't include any of the above or at least USB 3.0 and affordable power systems, I'm going Hacktin0sh. :D

I have nothing against the design of the MBP, infect I'm picking one up when I go to New York, because the cost difference makes it a steal.

From the UK! I grew up in London, should be back this Spring… as for picking up a MacBook Pro, with the exchange rate, I hate you LOL How much of a difference will it be? Thankfully you can bring it back without having to claim it, right? Just throw it in your carry on as if you came with it. That'd be hard to do with a Mac Pro or iMac :)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Most likely the 15 inch MBP for $1,990, which is £1,684 in the UK, Which is roughly $2,736.

As for Apple not going USB 3.0, I think Lightpeak is a much better idea, if it does turn out to be as fast and simple as they are making it out to be. I'd rather have 8 Lightpeak ports on my laptop than the 4 USB's, FireWire, HDMI, VGA, Ethernet, the SD i don't mind, but the one port that I shudder every time is the port specially designed for Sony's own cards. They have their own bloody port. That's ridiculous.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Most likely the 15 inch MBP for $1,990, which is £1,684 in the UK, Which is roughly $2,736.

As for Apple not going USB 3.0, I think Lightpeak is a much better idea, if it does turn out to be as fast and simple as they are making it out to be. I'd rather have 8 Lightpeak ports on my laptop than the 4 USB's, FireWire, HDMI, VGA, Ethernet, the SD i don't mind, but the one port that I shudder every time is the port specially designed for Sony's own cards. They have their own bloody port. That's ridiculous.

So you're saving close to $1k? Ugh, I want to move… either back to the UK or AUSTRALIA :D (don't get me started on US politics lol)

I agree on "Light Peak", although if it goes the copper route due to cost efficiency I'd wait till it's full on fiber optics. Having a few "Light Peak" ports that can connect/daisy chain to any device (with device adapters for backwards capability) would be amazing! It would take a few years for universal adaptation, but well worth it, especially for less parts and energy/overall efficiency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.