Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty Goldberg

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
I wonder if they really saw the movie or just hated the actor. I think there was just too much material to do it in a single movie. I was glad they put a scene with Jobs at Atari since "Pirates" didn't have that. I think the Steve Jobs walk was over done but overall it was fine.

Except the Atari scene was a completely made up and nonfactual scene, just horrible. They somehow have him joining up after his trip to India (which actually came during his time at Atari, and in fact Atari helped with the transportation), and they combine his two terms at the company (between 1973 and 1976) into one brief time in 1976. They have Atari still manufacturing the original PONG arcade machine in 1976 (false), and they have Jobs complaining about a game not being in color with an unknown Atari engineer stating it’s impossible to do…when in fact Atari (via Kee) had released it’s first full color game in 1975 – Indy 800, designed by Steve Bristow. They portray Jobs as a game designer/engineer when he was just a tech at Atari. Likewise, they have Al Alcorn assigning Breakout to Jobs when it was Nolan and Steve Bristow that did… Al didn’t even know it had been assigned to anyone, he suddenly saw Woz’s proto several days after the original game design discussion with Nolan and Bristow. They also present Breakout as being “programmed” (they need Jobs to “fix the bugs in the program”) when there’s no cpu or code in the game. Breakout was one of the last of Atari’s “state machine” games, the original method for creating arcade video games (where all of the game’s logic is done directly by discrete components on the pcb. The game is enineered, not coded). And even then, the scene where they have Jobs showing it off has a final glaring error: they used an actual Breakout game for the scene complete with scoring. Woz’s proto didn’t have onscreen scoring, he used separate LEDs. That and several other issues (it’s use of RAM, it’s lack of support for a coin mechanism, etc.) lead to that prototype not being used and Breakout having to be redesigned.

I understand the need to compress those three years because of the time constraints of the film, but to have that much factually wrong is horrible.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Seriously, you guys need to get over yourselves. Wozniak was definitely a big part of the original Apple but Gil Amelio basically all but killed that Apple which Jobs and Wozniak started. The Apple that we all now know and love was basically Jobs's baby and is basically NEXT Inc 2.0. Sure, it retained the name of Apple and the logo but Jobs cleaned out the board of the old Apple the first chance he got.

Are we hear to talk about the Apple II Apple or the iMac/iPod/iPhone/iPad/MacBook/Macbook Pro Apple? I thought we were we were all here because of the latter?

Don't get me wrong, I learned how to program in school on the Apple IIe and later on the Mac Plus but the first Mac that I bought was the eMac running OS X Jaguar which we all know is the decedent of NEXT STEP.

How does ANY of that change the fact they mutilated HISTORY here? And who says Apple sucked before OSX? True I was a Commodore guy back then (C64 and Amiga), but I still had more respect for Apple than the PC (Crappy old Dos and early Windows were horrible). Hell, I learned to type on an Apple II machine.

Apple didn't truly crap out until the mid '90s when Win95 pretty much spelled its doom without a major overhaul. Even then, it was as much technical hurdles/mismanagement as anything else (they simply could not transform OS7/8 into what they were promising in the mid '90s for Project Copland, which PC World has called one of the biggest project failures in all of IT history). That level of technical INCOMPETENCE more than anything else had lead Apple to wither just at the time that Microsoft was making leaps and bounds progress with Windows95/98 that slowly transformed it from a Dos/Windows combined environment that sucked horribly and needed all kinds of manual tweaking with IRQ settings, etc. into a more modern OS that could auto-configure itself, etc. and not require a user to use an archaic shell environment to do basic tasks. Even OS9 lacked pre-emptive multitasking (something the Commodore Amiga had since 1985 which is why I was into Commodore back then). I had a C64 before that, but it was more for gaming than anything else.

Apple decided (not Steve Jobs) to buy NeXT instead of trying to get Copland to work (clearly out of their technical league, it seemed). I'm not saying Steve Jobs didn't then transform Apple into a dominating player over a long period of time (it certainly didn't happen overnight as some today like to think), but this idea that Steve Job = Apple is also absurd. It only furthers his reputation as a megalomaniac in history.

Besides, Woz is cool. The character Dr. Walter Gibbs in the original TRON movie was loosely based on him and Encom on Apple. Well, it's cool to me since I always liked TRON (although ironically the name "TRON" appears to have been based on "Trace On" from Microsoft Basic, thus implying programming debugging and that was pretty much what he did was debug the system of the Master Control Program). One of the cooler "do all" system preference programs for the Commodore Amiga was named the "MCP" after the movie in turn and pretty much did the word of dozens of smaller separate programs. It's funny how reality inspires movies that then inspire new features and things in reality in turn.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Yes two kind of reviews.

1. The first lot of critics said the movie was bad.
2. The second lot of critics lied.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I actually got a chance to see the movie and thought it could have been better. Ashton was surprisingly better at playing Steve Jobs than I had anticipated. However, I thought the film did a poor job of displaying the legacy of Steve Jobs.

----------

The casting choice wasn't effective. All I can see is 'Dude Where's My Car'

He also doesn't sound like Steve Jobs.

So the chances of finding a good actor who looks and sounds just like steve jobs are.....

?

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I have seen the movie and i would say I know a bit more of him than the average person.
Is their definitely historical inaccuracies? yes there are and the people who do know a lot about his life and what happened will say "but that is totally wrong" and I did say that in places.

Though I went into the theater and watched it as the general average person. From that point of view I think the movie did a pretty good job at portraying Jobs in how he could be to work for.

The people like us who know a lot about Apple and Jobs will see the inaccuracies in the movie and cringe at it. Though the people who go to watch it as an average person I think will find it as a pretty good movie. My family members who have seen it but aren't as in tune with Apple or Jobs as I am found it to be a pretty good movie. I believe that's how it needs to be viewed.

veneto

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
I actually got a chance to see the movie and thought it could have been better. Ashton was surprisingly better at playing Steve Jobs than I had anticipated. However, I thought the film did a poor job of displaying the legacy of Steve Jobs.

----------

So the chances of finding a good actor who looks and sounds just like steve jobs are.....

?
I could do it. I've always wanted to be a casting director.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Saw it last night, and have also seen Pirates of Silicon Valley.

There were some interesting differences.
The absence of Blue Boxes in the second movie, and the absence of Gates.
(I thought the first was important).

The Homebrew Computer Club scene, and the 1977 show with the Apple II debut.
On both occasions in the first movie, the Apple computer caused a riot,
but in the second movie, the Homebrew club is not at all interested,
and the stalls of the 1977 show weren't "abandoned" for the Apple II.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Worst. Jobs. Movie. EVER!

Just watched it.

IMHO... IT SUCKED. BIG time. Seriously.

Why? Off the top of my head:

• Firstly, the basic facts are (kind of) there, but the way they present them is heavily redacted and romanticized... Not even close to historically accurate. At least according to every other book, bio, researcher and movie about it.
  • Secondly, "Starring Ashton Kutcher"... so, one should not seriously expect anything beyond a Two and a Half Men acting / writing quality. I'm sure Joshua Michael Stern (the director) didn't when he cast him. Although in hindsight, that alone should've been my first clue, warning me how much this would suck (dude, where's my surprise!)... so go figure.
  • The whole story line is cramped with - and entirely consists of - every single silly cliche about Jobs, Woz and Apple - not in a good / creative way - but poorly written and executed, abusing the use of time lapses and cheap punch lines.
  • I'm not a Steve Jobs fan, but it paints him mostly as a shallowly written bipolar character. From the drugged hippie douchebag, to the charming sociopath, the narcissistic visionary and the heroic a**hole - all of them in rapid yet unrelated succession, oversimplifying what must have been a very complex personality... while still keeping everybody beneath him. If you're a Steve Jobs fan, you'll either hate this movie, or end up disliking him a little bit (more?).
  • The coloring of the main characters is way beyond excessive. All acting is mediocre at best.
  • And last but not least, the awfully tacky and corny musicalization made it ridiculous.
Overall, a terrible movie, and even worse portrait of S. Jobs, S. Wozniak and Apple. Either they totally blew it, and managed to make this story and these characters fake and boring... or perhaps such a crappy version of events is intended for the simple-minded Hollywood-fed masses that don't know anything about Apple, and managed to miss every other information about it. Personally, I'd rather use Windows Vista for the rest of my life than watching this piece of crap ever again.

Anyway... don't even bother: you won't get anything out of it, besides a sad S.J. bio that is clearly intended to ca$h in from his passing in a very distasteful manner.

Hopefully the Jobs estate got a good deal out of it, to make it worth their while. :rolleyes:

You've been warned. Cheers.

Last edited:

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
[*]Not even close to historically accurate.

And that is a problem. I see many people say that it is a movie not a documentary. I don't care. If a story is based on real people and trying to tell events that happened it should do so as close as possible otherwise what is the point.

[*]It paints Steve Jobs mostly as a bipolar character: from the drugged hippie, to the selfish bastard, the crazy genius and the heroic a**hole... while everybody is beneath him. If you're a Steve Jobs fan, you'll either hate this movie, or dislike him a little (more?).

Based on this movie, he is as a****** far too many times.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
While I know It's not an accurate representation of Steve Jobs, to be honest I thought the movie was better then expected.

At the end it, I was inspired by the movie to start working harder, it made me very motivated, no kidding! Obviously I have no idea If that feeling will stay with me, but I do intend to work harder from now on, instead of being lazy all the time.

So overall I was surprised, I was expecting something much worse, I have to admit that there were clearly some parts that weren't a accurate representation of what occurred, especially the starting keynote they showed for the iPod..

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Watched this the other week and it is a good film. The reviews seem either quite biased by who wrote them or seem to of not really paid attention to the film, and peoples negativity without even seeing it based on what someone else has said >.>

Watch the film, then if you think it's crap say so... but watch it first.

I for one really liked it, sure it was a little inaccurate and sensationalised, however it was really good. I would recommend it to anyone as with this type of film you need to try and look past the content and find the meaning of the film. All its trying to show is how important this man was and through all his ups and downs this is how he built something that has changed the world forever.

I really like how they choose the furthest point in the film to be the announcement of the iPod. After all we know where it went from there and Im glad they never focused on Steves illness.

The acting was good with my first reaction being one of surprise thinking Mr Kutcher welcome to acting, with what is an award winning performance if recent best actor winner performances in any indication. As for Woz, he was portrayed fine, but he has his own reasons and gripes for not liking it. The portrayal I did really like in the film was Jony Ive, maybe a little embellished but I think it did serve to symbolise his importance within the company.

A lot may not like it but I do urge everyone to see it first.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Just saw it...

I have read Walter Isaacson's biography twice, and I happen to be in the "Apple-world" a long time, and have read a lot about Apple and Steve Jobs.

This movie, well... kinda sucked, iMHO.

Somehow this movie races through, or doesn't even really mention, some important "episodes" in Steve's life:
• Pixar (how could they...?)
• NeXT (just a brief scene to mention that Apple is getting Steve back on board - this one is particularly bad...)
• Meeting Laurene
• Going to Xerox (GUI)
• The Microsoft deal in 1997
• No mentioning of Ron Wayne?
• Jony Ive looked a prick in this movie...
• more...?

This simple movie is about the startup of Apple, Jobs getting kicked out, and Jobs getting back in.
Not really about Steve's life, as one would have thought...

What is does do well is portraying Jobs meaner side:
• Relationship with Daniel Kottke
• Abandoning his own child (Lisa)
• How he takes advantage of Woz

Kutcher's acting irritated me at times. Somehow he seems so childish to me...
Woz' character (can't be bothered in looking up who it was) was a real shame.

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I just saw it last night. All I can say was that it was an over the top character assassination piece.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
I had high hopes but I was very disappointed in the movie - not worth a second watch. They got way too many things wrong, they missed a lot.
Too bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.