Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Steve Jobs wouldn't approve this

But in a few days, he would OK it...

----------

The 'capture' of De Anza Three, with the hoisting of the pirate flag on the roof, they went to the lengths of showing it on the wall in several scenes...

My bad, it was 'Bandley 3', not De Anza 3.

Still, thinking about the movie some more, they had a rich history to draw from and it's somewhat amazing what they pulled out for the movie.

Oh well. I'll probably buy it on DVD, but only when it goes on sale, or is on the cutout rack...

How can someone make a movie about such a muti-storied man?

OH! I know, they could have also had a spot where Steve responds to an email with a one word answer, like he was famous for doing...

So much they could have used, and... Well, it felt flat...

kdarling

macrumors P6
The average person would not be interested in this. Only people who knew who Steve Jobs was and even then, were die hard fans, would go see this movie.

Yep. To many people, this is like having a movie about the life of Ron Popeil and the Chop-o-Matic, Mr Microphone, Pocket Fisherman and other popular products.

Both Jobs and Popeil knew what would sell, and how to sell to mass consumers.

Of course, Ron himself actually invented some of the products that Ronco sold.

LexiH18

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
I think Jobs looks worth a look. Thank you for posting the info. I plan to check it out at least on Netflix. The story has a lot of potential :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yep. To many people, this is like having a movie about the life of Ron Popeil and the Chop-o-Matic, Mr Microphone, Pocket Fisherman and other popular products.

Both Jobs and Popeil knew what would sell, and how to sell to mass consumers.

Of course, Ron himself actually invented some of the products that Ronco sold.

Maybe to the people you hang around with. ;). But comparing Jobs to Ron Popeil is the mother of all insults, IMO (and I'm not a Steve Jobs worshiper).

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm very sure you didn't.

What else would most in this case be referring to ? The people who don't want to see the movie lol?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I know what I meant ..straight forward comment, if 5000 people want to view the movie most of those 5000 people would rather wait for download .

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Um

Not sure what they expected but I mean really, who wants to watch a bio-pic about Jobs, considering that the Woz considers it grossly inaccurate.

Even if it was 100% factual they already made a TV mini-series about Jobs and Gates in the early days of their careers.

I know Jobs is a god in many circles, but his life and success with Apple doesn't make for a good movie experience. I mean even the Social Network movie about was boring and just made Mark Zuckerberg look even more douchey then he is in real life.

Also this was clearly a "January" move, you know, that time of the year where studios dump their crappy movies when people are too poor paying off their Christmas debt to bother going to the movie theaters and its about as far away as the next movie awards season as possible. To put it on in the summer was just poor planning. I mean it might have made more money when all the other movies offered were crap.

Finally, I mean, it starts Ashton Kutcher and he hasn't been an A list actor since That 70's show. The only actor they could've gotten that would be worse is Justin Long.

It amazes me when Hollywood types are surprised when a movie bombs.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not sure what they expected but I mean really, who wants to watch a bio-pic about Jobs, considering that the Woz considers it grossly inaccurate.

Even if it was 100% factual they already made a TV mini-series about Jobs and Gates in the early days of their careers.

I know Jobs is a god in many circles, but his life and success with Apple doesn't make for a good movie experience. I mean even the Social Network movie about was boring and just made Mark Zuckerberg look even more douchey then he is in real life.

Also this was clearly a "January" move, you know, that time of the year where studios dump their crappy movies when people are too poor paying off their Christmas debt to bother going to the movie theaters and its about as far away as the next movie awards season as possible. To put it on in the summer was just poor planning. I mean it might have made more money when all the other movies offered were crap.

Finally, I mean, it starts Ashton Kutcher and he hasn't been an A list actor since That 70's show. The only actor they could've gotten that would be worse is Justin Long.

It amazes me when Hollywood types are surprised when a movie bombs.

Two questions...

Who is Justin Long?

And which Hollywood types were surprised when the movie bombed? In fact, who anywhere was surprised when the movie bombed...aside from the Producer perhaps, and I wouldn't bet on that.;)

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
a recipe for a flop movie:
low-budget
ahston as the lead hero
story significantly altered

it's like they were trying to make fun of SJ

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Two questions...

Who is Justin Long?

And which Hollywood types were surprised when the movie bombed? In fact, who anywhere was surprised when the movie bombed...aside from the Producer perhaps, and I wouldn't bet on that.;)

Justin Long is the actor who played "Mac" in Apple's Mac vs PC ads. Earlier this year he played Steve Jobs in an online parody movie.

Surely the second question requires no answer... :D

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Not surprising, this is the type of thing that I may watch one day if on Netflix just because. It is not a theater film, that is for the big action, comic, adventure films and so forth. At some point I will watch just about anything once.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
What else would most in this case be referring to ? The people who don't want to see the movie lol?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I know what I meant ..straight forward comment, if 5000 people want to view the movie most of those 5000 people would rather wait for download .

No, they wouldn't.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
What does it show my wrong? What is my wrong?

Or did you mean "you're"?

In which case, you're wrong.

i can admit i didn't correct my grammar however the movie did not do well. That is a fact, which is why my op stated most who had any desire to see the film will do so by downloading not at the box office. But you win.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Triumph of the Nerds

This one just looked cheesy and that actor stinks!

I enjoyed watching Pirates of Silicon Valley.
The KGB, the Computer and Me.

Two movies I recommend and are interesting.

If you liked Pirates of Silicon Valley, then go watch the documentary that it was based off: PBS Triumph of the Nerds by Robert Cringly

Pirates of Silicon Valley was pretty much a scene by scene copy of Triumph of the Nerds.

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Maybe to the people you hang around with. ;). But comparing Jobs to Ron Popeil is the mother of all insults, IMO (and I'm not a Steve Jobs worshiper).

It depends. If you admire inventors you'd probably be more fascinated by Ron Popeil. If you are into salesmen then Jobs might be your guy.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
The main problem in making a succesful biopic is that the subject has to be really, really good or really, really evil to make it. Jobs was neither. He wasn't a good person or a role model to follow. He stole ideas, took credits for things he didn't do and was a #1 douchebag. He wasn't evil either, at least I don't thing he has killed peoples. He only killed reputations.

Mesuring someone worth as a human being solely on how much money he made is sadly a USA phenomenon, hence a big part of why Jobs is seen as an important figure in recent history. But in the rest of the world, we tend to mesure people on what they do and how they relate with other member of society and in that Jobs is an abject failure.

Jobs wouldn't have known the success he got without the original Apple co. And the genius that made the original Apple co. happened was Woz and Mike Markkula.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.