Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new email from Apple CEO Steve Jobs appears to confirm that the company will soon be issuing a software update to address issues with the iPhone 3G's performance under iOS 4. Late last month, the company acknowledged that it was "looking into" user reports of the issues.

The new email came in response to feedback sent by a customer who expressed frustration over the performance of his iPhone 3G, calling it "dog slow" and pointing to problems with system responsiveness when scrolling, zooming, and typing.
I've waited patiently through 4.0.1 and 4.0.2, looking for a fix that will make my phone work again. I've read the forums that advise me to jailbreak my phone or use some other method so I can downgrade back to a version of iPhone 3, however I'm not prepared to use a method that is not supported by Apple.
Jobs' response was unsurprisingly terse:
Software update coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone
While Jobs did not offer details on the planned software update, he was most likely referring to iOS 4.1, which has been in testing with developers. Anecdotal reports have indicated that the iOS 4.1 betas do seem to be improving performance on the iPhone 3G, but confirmation that the company is addressing the issues will be welcome news to users who have been frustrated by iOS 4 performance on their devices.

Article Link: Jobs: Software Update to Address iOS 4 Performance Issues on iPhone 3G 'Coming Soon'

dbales

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Terse? Didn't sound overly terse to me. Straight and to the point perhaps, but far from terse.

It is however too bad that Apple didn't take enough time "field testing" the iPhone 3 units running IOS4. Surely they knew people would take the plunge and update their previous gen phones.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Yeaaaaa!!!!! That's all I can say! :D

I'm suspecting many little issues will be fixed and all will be bliss again! :)

ericbrooke

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Why does Apple not tell people the problems they are working on. I am patient, but it seems strange that a CEO needs to respond.. Everyone know its a problem so Apple should be upfront and tell us.. I would trust a company a lot more if I could easier find a problem list with some acknowledgement that they are looking into it.. of course other companies would attack them on those points.. but no one likes a bully.. it just seems strange that we have to keep asking Mr Jobs to answer questions.. to me it says a lot about the culture.. and it makes me wonder what happens after Mr Jobs and how much should I invest in Apple.. which is a shame cos I have being using Apple since the IIe and Mac 128k

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I downgraded back to iOS3, couldn't take the terrible performance anymore. Wasn't worth the few features of iOS4 that the 3G phones got. The one thing he didnt do in the video was type. Typing is the worst part, I would type like 8-10 characters and nothing would have appeared on the screen yet.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
I don't know what people are complaining about. I have a 2G iPod Touch and it runs iOS4 just fine. 2G iPod isn't any faster than the 3G iPhone.

Deepdivetc

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Columbia, MO
That video looks just like all of my experiences after upgrading. It actually was bad enough that it drove me away from my Iphone and I now have something totally different. These are the kinds of moves that a company makes that push some users away from their products.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Even on the 3Gs i was noticing some lags. Laggy enough that I had to type slower so that the message could keep up and not miss any characters when *sms-ing*.

Llywen

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2007
I don't know what people are complaining about. I have a 2G iPod Touch and it runs iOS4 just fine. 2G iPod isn't any faster than the 3G iPhone.
You don't know what people are complaining about because you don't have an 3G iPhone.

I have a 3G iPhone...and it is unbearable with iOS 4.0. Having to wait over a minute for the cell phone to respond is not uncommon.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I don't know what people are complaining about.

See that video? That's not faked. That's what many peoples 3G iPhones have turned into after the iOS4 update. Apple didn't test it properly. They didn't tell people there was a problem. They didn't apologise. They just put out crappy beta software and expected their user base to bend over and take it.

Steve's responses which ammount to little more than 'STFUALREADYLOL' do neither him nor Apple any favors.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
It should have been right in the first place. My 3G was unusable with iOS 4. I downgraded and advised the wife not to upgrade at all. But then I got an iPhone 4, so all is better now.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
A friend of mine was so fed up, she went ahead and purchased the iphone 4.

Good work Apple! ---not

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Whoa whoa whoa....easy there..

Vincenz lol you have to agree that performance like that isnt top form at all.... i HAVE A 3Gs and have been blessed to not suffer these issues, but Apple needs to hire more people because the QA sucks IMO and its a role of the dice to make sure your device isnt acting up.

Remember when Snow Leopard came out :rolleyes:

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
We are such great beta testers....
i just wanna know where my damn pay check is:D
lol at that video :D
funniest video of the day
i dont know what your talking about. my ipod touch 2g sucks. im thinking about downgrading to 3.1.3 and using backgrounder for multitasking. the ability to multitask isnt worth this slowness.

lazyKyosuke

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
The video is hilarious but it is seriously me everyday. I was just going to buy an iphone 4. We all pretty much just jailbroke our 3G iPhones, Apple warranty doesn't cover anything

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
I've not upgraded yet because of all the reports, and I doubt I will unless 4.1 gets absolutely sterling reviews on the 3G

remain skeptical, all I really want is the folders. :rolleyes:

deellow

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The 25309

iTouch 2 has a faster processor than iPhone 3g. I have both running ios4+redsn0w and the ipod is WAY faster than the 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.