Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jonyivemetgala-1.jpg
Ahead of last night's Apple-sponsored Met Gala, Apple design chief Jony Ive spoke with fashion website Business of Fashion about the "Manus x Machina" theme of the event and accompanying Costume Institute Exhibition, giving some insight into his thoughts on design and some hints on the future of the Apple Watch.

According to Ive, who has had a hand in the creation and design of all of Apple's modern product releases, including the company's first wearable device, the goal of the designer is to solve problems without making the consumer aware of the problem that was solved.
In our work, we've always tried to design in a way where you're not aware of the problems that we've had to solve. That's the job of the designer: to solve problems and explore, but not really drag you through what all the problems were.
He went on to explain that tech products, like the Apple Watch, are becoming "more and more personal," something that he says technology companies still have a lot to learn about.
I think we have always had a very clear and a very singular approach to how we design products that are more familiar to people, more established in terms of product categories. I think it's very hard to have that same clarity and singularity when you're not absolutely confident in your subject matter."
Business of Fashion asked Ive about his future plans for the Apple Watch and while he refused to give specifics, he hinted that there could be some dramatic changes in store based on Apple's general product release philosophy. He said the Apple Watch is a "natural" category for Apple and that the company thinks about it in a non-opportunistic, "authentic" way.
It's quite interesting that if you look back at the first generation of the iPod or the Phone -- what happens in the next two, three, four years is dramatic. You'd be very surprised about some of the things you would absolutely assume that the first Phone did and it didn't have. [...]

I personally love products when they're at this level of maturity," Ive said of the Apple Watch. "You know we can't talk about future products, but if you look at what we typically do is that we don't make something and stop.
Jony Ive served as co-chair for the 2016 Met Gala and Costume Institute Exhibition alongside pop star Taylor Swift and actor Idris Elba. Last night, Ive, Apple CEO Tim Cook, and Steve Jobs' widow Laurene Powell Jobs attended the Met Gala alongside hundreds of celebrities, major fashion designers, and other well-known tech leaders like Kevin Systrom, Marissa Mayer, and Elon Musk.

(Image via Vogue)

Article Link: Jony Ive Shares Thoughts on Design, Fashion and Apple Watch in Met Gala Interview

Oldfash33

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
I'm planning on skipping gen 2 of the Watch and nailing the 3rd gen. That's the plan for now anyhow.

Reactions: chrisbru

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2009
I guess everyone is entitled to their personal opinions, with mine being:

Jeez man, stop being so obsessed with thinness and lightness! And focus on the ergonomics of your designs! iPhone 6/6S is absolutely one of the worst form factors I have held in my hands for any device in this general category: too slippery and very unwieldy. I can't change the volume without interfering with the lock switch, as well as the other way around.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I guess everyone is entitled to their personal opinions, with mine being:

Jeez man, stop being so obsessed with thinness and lightness! And focus on the ergonomics of your designs! iPhone 6/6S is absolutely one of the worst form factors I have held in my hands for any device in this general category: too slippery and very unwieldy. I can't change the volume without interfering with the lock switch, as well as the other way around.

I wonder how many phones broke in testing that slippery design and still they don't want to admit that it's a problem.
Plus, the off button should be back at the top if from follows function.

As a permanent case user I am only impacted by the off button in the wrong place.

Unwieldy depends on what size screen one prefers. Obviously with a 6S Plus I'd expect a bigger product:)
Plenty of options with the SE now.

It's good that they don't stop. We need new MBPs, convert all iPads to Pros (ha used plural)
and the watch will be great in 3-4 years, without a watch face.

pedrom

Suspended
Jan 30, 2016
You know... I see Ive, Phil and Cue as Apple's Mccartney. Hair force one, the hardware engineers, other software engineers, Scott were Apple's Lennon.

When Steve was alive, there was a balance in power. Since he died, Cook had to be CEO (face of the company, not part of the brain anymore. Beancounter), Scott is gone, and Ive/Phil/Cue got way more power. The balance was destroyed.

Consequence? The best beancounter on the planet has no one to put him in check, and despite having the best software and hardware engineers in the world, they are powerless against Ive, Phil and Eddy. Everything that comes out of Phil's mouth is pure ********. Ive needs someone to control his genius otherwise it all becomes excessive and narcissistic (rose gold. It's pink, dude.). Cue... I know nothing about him, but I know that he was in control of the MAS and iTunes and he killed both of them, as far as potential is concerned.

Steve itself doesn't seem very important to me. Apple was 100% the work of fantastic talented people. Steve wasn't a great engineer, or a great designer, or great at management. But he was great at putting those Paul Mccartney in check.

We see the result in Apple having the best products and ecosystem (iPhone 6s/6s plus/iPhone SE/iPad Pros/rMBP/iMac) and also the most useless, overpriced, outdated, foolish piece of garbage in the whole tech industry (Every iOS device being sold with 1GB of RAM or 16GB of onboard storage, HDD Macs, Macs with TN Panels, cMBP, Mac Pro with rebranded cheapass """""""""firepros"""""" and not pro at all.).

It all makes sense to me. Seeing Ive in that picture only intensifies this feeling.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wow, he lost that weight quick!
[doublepost=1462314493][/doublepost]
Is it just me or he keeps gaining weight? Close the damn workout rings, Jony!
He's actually slimmer! He was unrecognizable a few months ago!

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2009
Unwieldy depends on what size screen one prefers. Obviously with a 6S Plus I'd expect a bigger product:)
Plenty of options with the SE now.

Agreed. But the options are unfortunately all about settling for something, and not loving what you buy. I love the 4" screen size and form factor, but I also love 3D Touch, and I use it frequently. Unfortunately, SE doesn't have 3D Touch (why!). So to get a 4" iPhone, I have to settle for no 3D Touch. Or, my other option is I get Apple's latest and greatest iPhone 6S, but then I have to settle for a 4.7" phone that is unwieldy and very poorly designed (in my opinion).

Sigh...

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Seems like giving interviews and explaining his designs [Apple Watch] has increased a lot the past month. My opinion.

HiFlyer

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
Balboa Island, CA

jonyivemetgala-1.jpg
Ahead of last night's Apple-sponsored Met Gala, Apple design chief Jony Ive spoke with fashion website Business of Fashion about the "Manus x Machina" theme of the event and accompanying Costume Institute Exhibition, giving some insight into his thoughts on design and some hints on the future of the Apple Watch.

According to Ive, who has had a hand in the creation and design of all of Apple's modern product releases, including the company's first wearable device, the goal of the designer is to solve problems without making the consumer aware of the problem that was solved.He went on to explain that tech products, like the Apple Watch, are becoming "more and more personal," something that he says technology companies still have a lot to learn about.Business of Fashion asked Ive about his future plans for the Apple Watch and while he refused to give specifics, he hinted that there could be some dramatic changes in store based on Apple's general product release philosophy. He said the Apple Watch is a "natural" category for Apple and that the company thinks about it in a non-opportunistic, "authentic" way.Jony Ive served as co-chair for the 2016 Met Gala and Costume Institute Exhibition alongside pop star Taylor Swift and actor Idris Elba. Last night, Ive, Apple CEO Tim Cook, and Steve Jobs' widow Laurene Powell Jobs attended the Met Gala alongside hundreds of celebrities, major fashion designers, and other well-known tech leaders like Kevin Systrom, Marissa Mayer, and Elon Musk.

(Image via Vogue)

Article Link: Jony Ive Shares Thoughts on Design, Fashion and Apple Watch in Met Gala Interview

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
It's always fascinating trying to decipher Jony's double talk. He kinda reminds me of Alan Greenspan. Remember this jem?
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said."

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Sometimes I suspect that Apple execs must sit around thinking of pompous phrases to repeat, that will awe the naive.

With Jobs, I actually had a strangely perverse admiration of the way he could twist the meaning of words. It was his forte. But they still made sense.

These remaining guys are just Jobs-wannabes, spouting nonsense.

Last edited:

HiFlyer

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
Balboa Island, CA
As much as I respect Ive, I'm getting the feeling he is getting distracted by becoming a high flying celebrity. Providing the design oversight & push to give truly professional versions of both the MacBook Pros and the MacPros seems to be sadly lacking, which is occurring on Ive's watch as head of design.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Reading between the lines here, but after that veiled reference to future plans, I feel even more confident now that up-and-coming wearables such as future versions of :apple:Watch will increasingly become less and less dependent on an iPhone until in the not too distant future, they will be complete standalone devices.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sometimes I suspect that Apple execs must sit around thinking of pompous phrases to repeat, that will awe the naive.

With Jobs, I actually had a strangely perverse admiration of the way he could twist the meaning of words. It was his forte. These guys are just Jobs-wannabes spouting nonsense.
Oh thank goodness I am not the only one who couldn't really find actual meaning to all those prettily accented words. And I was hearing his accent in my head as I read all his babble. He could be a politician. He said a lot without really saying anything.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Apple TV has failed to capture the hearts of many after so many iterations. Will Apple Watch go the same path? I certainly hope not for Apple's sake.

Reactions: AleXXXa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.