Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
And just taking you 10 year old design and making it thinner might be a technical advancement, but it's not a design advancement. His obsessive thinning design has crippled every Apple products performance in some way. He absolutely does Not put function into any consideration with his design.

I completely agree. I've been more willing to tolerate this design philosophy on the hardware side but sometimes I think his butchering and dumbing down of the UI will be the thing that finally drives me to another platform. In reality, Apple is losing its "ecosystem" advantage (which I always thought was highly overrated to begin with) as well. They are still the best mousetrap but no longer by nearly such a wide margin.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
To be fair.... the iPhone 7 won't be thinner..... it will just have less features such as no headphone jacks.

but hey, who doesn't want to fork over more money for adaptors??

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
What a boring and uninspiring outfit.

Men's Met Gala fashion seems to be pretty mundane. Tim Cook wore the same outfit. Twinsies!

ChkV0OHWkAEWOXv.jpg

Reactions: darkknight14

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Ive is a great designer, but he needs to be supervised by some person which is more down to earth.

And please remove him from the software department, he has done fantastic hardware designs but he sucks doing software.
Unreasonable people like Ive is what's needed to keep those paying a mortgage from making strategic decisions.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
You know... I see Ive, Phil and Cue as Apple's Mccartney. Hair force one, the hardware engineers, other software engineers, Scott were Apple's Lennon.

When Steve was alive, there was a balance in power. Since he died, Cook had to be CEO (face of the company, not part of the brain anymore. Beancounter), Scott is gone, and Ive/Phil/Cue got way more power. The balance was destroyed.

Consequence? The best beancounter on the planet has no one to put him in check, and despite having the best software and hardware engineers in the world, they are powerless against Ive, Phil and Eddy. Everything that comes out of Phil's mouth is pure ********. Ive needs someone to control his genius otherwise it all becomes excessive and narcissistic (rose gold. It's pink, dude.). Cue... I know nothing about him, but I know that he was in control of the MAS and iTunes and he killed both of them, as far as potential is concerned.

Steve itself doesn't seem very important to me. Apple was 100% the work of fantastic talented people. Steve wasn't a great engineer, or a great designer, or great at management. But he was great at putting those Paul Mccartney in check.

We see the result in Apple having the best products and ecosystem (iPhone 6s/6s plus/iPhone SE/iPad Pros/rMBP/iMac) and also the most useless, overpriced, outdated, foolish piece of garbage in the whole tech industry (Every iOS device being sold with 1GB of RAM or 16GB of onboard storage, HDD Macs, Macs with TN Panels, cMBP, Mac Pro with rebranded cheapass """""""""firepros"""""" and not pro at all.).

It all makes sense to me. Seeing Ive in that picture only intensifies this feeling.

Cook is an engineer. Jobs was a cunning salesman and only displayed what he WANTED to show the audience. This was Jobs M.O. and he was brilliant at it.

Your entitled to your opinion on the hardware, however; you know and I know if it has an :apple: Logo, people will flock and buy it. Guaranteed.

Cue is obnoxious and destroyed Apple Music. Cut him from the pay roll. He's small and belongs in a can.

Ive, contrary to what you believe, is the Front line of Apple. Hands down.

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
Tough crowd here... The big thing I took from this, and Tims recent comments, is that they see the watch becoming much more fleshed out over the next few iterations. Not that this is a surprise to anybody with the ability to look at things with a longer term perspective but it does show some confidence in the direction.

I've expected the watch to really get fleshed out for more mass appeal by generations 3 or 4. This does a little to back that belief.

Reactions: Arran

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I guess everyone is entitled to their personal opinions, with mine being:

Jeez man, stop being so obsessed with thinness and lightness! And focus on the ergonomics of your designs! iPhone 6/6S is absolutely one of the worst form factors I have held in my hands for any device in this general category: too slippery and very unwieldy. I can't change the volume without interfering with the lock switch, as well as the other way around.
This crazy race to thinness is also driving me nuts. Every time I see someone on here post "not buying it if it's not thinner" it makes me wonder what their problem is.... is it really that heavy?

Reactions: 5105973

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
ITT: People that are upset for some reason...
When are they not? They are constantly on alert for new articles on Mac rumors to pop up for their ready-made angry responses. They derive great pleasure in bringing successful people down a notch or two with online comments. Online comments are power! The only power they have anyway.

It honestly reminds me of when Michelle Obama suggested drinking more water is good for you and people reacted "look at that black woman telling us what to do. So offended. My fingers could type forever!" Same here. Tim Cook said in that last interview that he liked what they were doing and felt that they make the right choices when it comes to human rights and encryption, etc. Which is like...how do you disagree with that? Everyone hated the government for trying to break into our phones like some 1984 dystopian tale come to life. But when Tim Cook says it the response is "God just look at him...so smug! He doesn't know anything!"

I'm not a huge fan of android, but I don't hang around their forums talking about how much I don't like android

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Men's Met Gala fashion seems to be pretty mundane. Tim Cook wore the same outfit. Twinsies!
I guess white bow ties with tuxes are the "in" thing now. But it just disappears against the shirt and so there's no point point to it. There's just this huge expanse of Penguin bib white. Tim's looks particularly awkwardly cut somehow.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I hope this pompous bag of hot air will be leaving Apple soon.
As a designer he's well past it. Time for some fresh blood in the company.
They need someone who realizes good design is far more than simply how thin a device can be made.

Alan-in-CO

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
I wonder how many phones broke in testing that slippery design and still they don't want to admit that it's a problem.
Plus, the off button should be back at the top if from follows function.

As a permanent case user I am only impacted by the off button in the wrong place.

Amen to that! I have never experienced a more frustrating design decision on an Apple product than that. 75% of the time of trying to wake my 6s, I hit the volume button instead. Each time I think WTF APPLE, REALLY!?

And yes, it's also a slippery fish!

Reactions: Mystic386

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Same PR lines as Cook. and I LOL "In our work, we've always tried to design in a way where you're not aware of the problems that we've had to solve. That's the job of the designer: to solve problems and explore, but not really drag you through what all the problems were."

Orrrrllly?

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
jony-ive-10-20-09.jpg

"Design inspires design."

This photo deserves a caption contest (And I love the work Jony Ive has been doing and is doing)

"My aim is to design a Macbook so thin that when you look at it end on, all you see is... (dramatic designer pause) nothing"

"I can visualise a product so completely I can hold it my hands and study the detail of it in 3D"

"The biggest burger I ever had was the Gut Buster, I'll never forget it."

"Whoa, are those my hands!"

"So on the new headphones I'd like two sleek speakers placed about here, and then..."

Reactions: American Hero

jhudgins

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2016
Reading between the lines here, but after that veiled reference to future plans, I feel even more confident now that up-and-coming wearables such as future versions of :apple:Watch will increasingly become less and less dependent on an iPhone until in the not too distant future, they will be complete standalone devices.
It should have been launched as a standalone device. There's still no need for it though imo. Name three things the Apple Watch does that the iPhone doesn't, and better. It's pretty hard to do. It's always going to be a niche product, crippled by its small screen and battery. Not to mention how rude it is when people look at their watches. It's bad enough with cell phones! The next iPhone it is not.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
When are they not? They are constantly on alert for new articles on Mac rumors to pop up for their ready-made angry responses. They derive great pleasure in bringing successful people down a notch or two with online comments. Online comments are power! The only power they have anyway.

It honestly reminds me of when Michelle Obama suggested drinking more water is good for you and people reacted "look at that black woman telling us what to do. So offended. My fingers could type forever!" Same here. Tim Cook said in that last interview that he liked what they were doing and felt that they make the right choices when it comes to human rights and encryption, etc. Which is like...how do you disagree with that? Everyone hated the government for trying to break into our phones like some 1984 dystopian tale come to life. But when Tim Cook says it the response is "God just look at him...so smug! He doesn't know anything!"

I'm not a huge fan of android, but I don't hang around their forums talking about how much I don't like android
Yep. They don’t have jobs or personal lives. They just sit reloading the MacRumors home page waiting for the chance to pounce on Jony right?

tntt

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Ive should not be allowed near any product that is meant to be a tool and not an art project. Would gladly give up a mm or two for a larger battery and please move the ON/OFF switch away from the direct opposite side of the volume switch as I have shut my phone off many a time when I meant to adjust the volume. Would also prefer the sharper edges of the 5S as the 6 is almost impossible to pick up from a table top. Lastly, I would realy appreciate it, if my text was readable - like black on white rather then light grey. Harder to hold onto and harder to read will not sell me another iphone.

Reactions: Morriss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.