Judge OKs Microsoft settlement

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shrek, Nov 1, 2002.

1. macrumors 65816

Shrek

http://money.cnn.com/2002/11/01/technology/microsoft_remedy/index.htm

:D :D :D YES!!! :D :D :D

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

springscansing

3. macrumors 68020

No, this is terrible news.

After millions of dollars spent on proving that Microsoft unquestionably broke the law, all they get is a slap on the wrist. Not even a slap on the wrist. And they'll probably appeal that.

The judge took FIVE MONTHS just to approve the settlement? Either she's completely incompetent, or this is a political payoff.

I guess we consumers will have to get revenge on our own.

4. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't give up yet...

The 9 states, one of those being California, can still appeal/pursue action on thier own.

It's nice that this mockery of a trial is over...too bad it's not the last time, and definitely not strict enough.

5. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

So what? It's just gonna make Windoze a more user-friendly OS right? BULL**** that's not punishment!! It's just making Windoze better!

:mad: :mad:

I am really counting on the 9 states to finish this thing off. I want this cleared up once and for all, with Microsoft actaully GETTING PUNISHED.

Friggin nutcases... :mad:

irmongoose

6. macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

I may be speaking without sufficient evidence, but Proverbs says:

"A bribe is a charm to the one who gives it; wherever he turns, he succeeds."

(17:8)

7. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Shrek why are you saying yes?
    This is one of the WORST possible outcomes, all they get now is the abailty to call them a monopoly under the law.

8. macrumors G4

This is only the end of one era in computing and the beginning of another.
    Linux is attacking the business market and making some movment into the desktop matket, although at a slow, but increasing pace.
    Apple has launched a full-on assault with the switch ads, so much that MS actually sees them as a threat, prompting to make one of their own as a rebuttal.

This isn't over. The states can still appeal but no one can predict the outcome at the moment.
    What this ruling proves is there are more people disgruntled with MS than ever before and they are beginning to see that there are options.
    Things will be tough in the short run, but we can only hope that everything will pan out in the end.

9. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Money Talks. Unfortunately M$ has more than anybody. It is kinda frustrating that the Law is for sale.

Oh well. M$ is getting so greedy that my clients are asking for alternatives now more than ever. (Like what was M$ thinking with software assurance? I have one client that paid for it, and the rest just aren't going to bother with upgrades.)

Anyway, I hope M$ digs its own grave, because the Gov sure isn't going to enforce its laws.

10. macrumors 68000

Fukui

Remeber

Remember, just because O.J Simpson got off free doesn't mean people were convinced he didn't do it, and it certanly didn't make him any more popular...in fact just the opposite.