Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, duh, you can use p2p programs to d/l legal stuff. Linux for example.

As far as I'm concerned, he has to rule p2p programs legal.

Innocent until proven guily.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
musicpyrite said:
::snip:: As far as I'm concerned, he has to rule p2p programs legal. ::snip::

Agreed. It's like how you can own two VCRs but you can't copy & distribute copyrighted media.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
musicpyrite said:
Well, duh, you can use p2p programs to d/l legal stuff. Linux for example.

As far as I'm concerned, he has to rule p2p programs legal.

Innocent until proven guily.

would you then not oppose a mandate to modify the program so that p2p can only handle legal stuff?

what if p2p was made to not be able to handle mp3 files unless the uploader supplies a code of copyright for the material being shared, for example?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
dotnina said:
Agreed. It's like how you can own two VCRs but you can't copy & distribute copyrighted media.

except that physically copying/distributing media using two VCRs cost non-negligible money (in terms of media), time (on the order of hours per copied media) and can only be distributed on the order of tens... and those are significant differences.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
do note that i'm just playing a bit of a devil's advocate. it is not my intention to "counter" every point being made, because i think they are reasonable.

but let's not think that however legal, there's definite questions surrounding the whole p2p issues. most users of p2p aren't legitimate. and while we can argue all we want about copyright infringment vs. stealing issue, it is true that nowadays, there are ways to obtain things one used to have to pay for... and while they may not be 100% correct, i don't completely disagree with people who uses the word theft to describe p2p activities.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Law.com article...

Law.com -- In Victory for Grokster, Peer-to-Peer Wins at 9th Circuit

...Thursday's panel drew a distinction between Grokster and Napster, which shut down after A&M Records v. Napster, 239 F.3d 1004, and A&M Records v. Napster, 284 F.3d 1091. Its assets were purchased, and Napster is now a paid service.

Where Napster used a centralized index to tell people where to look for files, the newer programs do not, meaning they have less control over the traded content, according to Thursday's opinion.

Michael Page, the Keker & Van Nest partner who argued on behalf of Grokster, said because Grokster cannot police its index, like Napster was required to do, the only other recourse would be to shut down completely.

"But they won't do that because of non-infringing uses," Page said, pointing out that lots of people use the program to trade content that is not protected by copyright.

Besides the Napster cases, the ruling also heavily relied upon the historic U.S. Supreme Court decision involving Sony Betamax.

In Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417, the high court in 1984 decided that the sale of videocassette recorders did not create liability for copyright infringement even though the defendants knew that's what people were doing with the machines.

"If the Supreme Court had gone the other way in [Sony] Betamax, it would have made VCRs illegal," Page said.

The Sony Betamax case is also one of the reasons why many people, including Page, believe Thursday's ruling will actually benefit the movie and record industries down the line.

If VCRs had been outlawed, the video business that studios profit from today would not exist, Page said.

"Every time new technology comes along, studios first try to [shut it down], and each time courts say 'no you can't,'" Page said. "And each time, they turn around and figure out a way to make money."

The movie and music industries could start subscription services, use peer-to-peer to distribute premium content, sell advertising -- "there are all sorts of examples," Page added.

So far, though, the plaintiffs don't agree...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.