Judges rule file-sharing software legal

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CubaTBird, Aug 20, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well, duh, you can use p2p programs to d/l legal stuff. Linux for example.

As far as I'm concerned, he has to rule p2p programs legal.

Innocent until proven guily.

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Agreed. It's like how you can own two VCRs but you can't copy & distribute copyrighted media.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

would you then not oppose a mandate to modify the program so that p2p can only handle legal stuff?

what if p2p was made to not be able to handle mp3 files unless the uploader supplies a code of copyright for the material being shared, for example?

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

except that physically copying/distributing media using two VCRs cost non-negligible money (in terms of media), time (on the order of hours per copied media) and can only be distributed on the order of tens... and those are significant differences.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

do note that i'm just playing a bit of a devil's advocate. it is not my intention to "counter" every point being made, because i think they are reasonable.

but let's not think that however legal, there's definite questions surrounding the whole p2p issues. most users of p2p aren't legitimate. and while we can argue all we want about copyright infringment vs. stealing issue, it is true that nowadays, there are ways to obtain things one used to have to pay for... and while they may not be 100% correct, i don't completely disagree with people who uses the word theft to describe p2p activities.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Law.com article...