Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
It's going to cost you 199 if it was a 4s. I would do it no matter what. You are going to be able to sell the refurb for probably about 350 when the new phone comes out. No reason to use a junker for a month.

lowbelly

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I always think about this happening! I imagine myself jumping in backwards while throwing my iPhone onto the shore. But people would probably think I'm a huge tool if I did that.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
It's going to cost you 199 if it was a 4s. I would do it no matter what. You are going to be able to sell the refurb for probably about 350 when the new phone comes out. No reason to use a junker for a month.

Assuming he's on AT&T he can get it unlocked and sell it for $500 easy if it's a 4S.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Not trying to be a troll or a killjoy here, but the thing is, anyone who is irresponsible, selfish and a big fat liar could say that same story to the Apple store. Besides, it's none of their business. They simply don't care, or have to care.

No offense, OP.

Telling his story - no embellishments, but still telling it - won't hurt, and it could help. If it's not too much hassle, having the kid come along wouldn't hurt, but go in expecting to pay, and be happy if you pay less or nothing.

Zimpaz

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I have the same thing but not quite so heroic. Last week I left my phone on the bench at a football game and only about 40 minutes in with it lashing it down with rain did i remember it was there. Came back to it in a pool of water and now it wont restore. Fails when it tries to update the firmware with an unknown hardware error!

So, until the new iphone comes out im using my gf's old Orange San Fransisco. God its aweful

philjo

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Can you get hold of some sachets of silica gel? (those little bags that are found in boxes of new cameras etc) The silica Gel absorbs moisture - probably better than the rice. putting it in with the rice should help dry out the phone.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Telling his story - no embellishments, but still telling it - won't hurt, and it could help. If it's not too much hassle, having the kid come along wouldn't hurt, but go in expecting to pay, and be happy if you pay less or nothing.

Yes, it would hurt. Honestly, if I was in his situation, I wouldn't even mention a word about my son because it really is embarrassing. I would tell myself "Why should they care about these things? It's none of their business, it's not even covered by warranty. I'm just wasting my time, embarrassing myself in the Apple Store."

Still no Offense, OP. I hope you get your phone fixed.

Trance

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
save them heroic story. Go in and tell them your phone has water damage and agree to pay for a refurbished.
You'll only look ridiculous sharing the "I had to save my sons life!" story.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It's in rice now so we'll see. I'm not holding hope for it so will likely go to Apple store tomorrow for a refurb.

Yeah, Doc; You've been on the boards as late as this morning. What's the word? What happened at the Apple Store with the iPhone that tried to save your son in the pool ?

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Yes, it would hurt. Honestly, if I was in his situation, I wouldn't even mention a word about my son because it really is embarrassing. I would tell myself "Why should they care about these things? It's none of their business, it's not even covered by warranty. I'm just wasting my time, embarrassing myself in the Apple Store."

You have a lot more humility than most people these days. That's refreshing. I'm not sure I would tell them what happened either, unless they asked. Even then I'd be pretty damn hesitant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.