Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dawei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Hi all, I don't remember finishing my application for the Juniper Visa card at Apple's website, but I just got a called few minutes ago. It was to verify my address and other things. So I read something on the first purchase I get a 90 days no finance charge. The thing I want to ask, is going ahead and buying a Macbook Pro a good idea at this time?

I have about $700 saved up in the bank and each check I been putting about half or so in. I'm still waiting on my tax returns, but I don't know when it's ever gonna get here. There's about a total of $1320 coming back from federal and state. The thing I'm most afraid is that what if my income tax don't come in time to pay off the laptop. I also have been wanting to wait for the new models or else with Leopard and iLife 07, that's why I cancel the credit card application.

Another question, if I can order right now to have the 90 days no finance charge, does it work with student discount and promotional code discount?

Thanks

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Discounts always apply -- the Juniper Visa is just a way to pay.

Personally, I'd wait a little longer until you have a little more saved up. Credit card debt is so easy to get into and really tough to get out of.

Dawei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Green Bay, WI
:(

Yea, I know about the credit card debt that's why I never gotten one, this is the first time I got one. The thing is that it's 90 days without interest or something until the 90 days is up, it just sounds good. Of course , I will also be saving along the way. It's gonna be great...I just can't wait any longer, I so want to pull the trigger on this order, New 15" MBP stock :D with my next check this coming Wednesday, it'll bring it up to about a good $800+, sucks to be a temp. The only part that worries me is if my tax return comes late or else there's a problem and I don't get back as much as I thought I would. I'm such a noob in life.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Juniper is a bit misleading. Actually, you do get 90 no interest, but the interest accrues. So if you don't pay off the purchase, then all the interest you didn't pay is tacked on to your 4th month bill. Also, I think that the 90 days is only with the first purchase. If you decide to use it, make sure you've got everything in your cart you need.

Also, file online next time! I filed last month and got my rebate in two weeks...i used it all to pay off credit cards:D . Bummer, but it feels great to have cleared my CC debt.

YT

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Just wait for Leopard and iLife '07 to come with the machine. I know it's hard, but so much better than having to spend $200 on them when they come out.

Dawei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Green Bay, WI

Thanks guys, my old man actually was the one that did my taxes. He does a lot of other people's taxes, so when I received my papers. I handed to him and he started on them right away.

Also thanks for the heads up on the taxes getting tacked on the 4th month bill. I'll certainly make sure I pay in the first 2 month or so.

TheAnswer, that was actually my plan; to hold out until Leopard comes out before I make my purchase. Since my card has already been approve. I think I only have 30 days to make that 1st purchase without the interest in the 90 days.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
Juniper is a bit misleading. Actually, you do get 90 no interest, but the interest accrues. So if you don't pay off the purchase, then all the interest you didn't pay is tacked on to your 4th month bill. Also, I think that the 90 days is only with the first purchase. If you decide to use it, make sure you've got everything in your cart you need.

Also, file online next time! I filed last month and got my rebate in two weeks...i used it all to pay off credit cards:D . Bummer, but it feels great to have cleared my CC debt.

YT

To be nitpicky, the interest is deferred and not accrued. Deferrals generically are when you recognize the economic event at a later period (interest).Accruals generically are when the underlying economic event is recognized before cash is paid. But that's just the accountant in me talking.

But you are right in everything else. The interest is still calculated and compounded. If you had 90 days no interest financing, on the 91st day, all that interest which was compounded and not recognized from day 1 will be instantly tacked onto your balance.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
To be nitpicky, the interest is deferred and not accrued. Deferrals generically are when you recognize the economic event at a later period (interest).Accruals generically are when the underlying economic event is recognized before cash is paid. But that's just the accountant in me talking.

But you are right in everything else. The interest is still calculated and compounded. If you had 90 days no interest financing, on the 91st day, all that interest which was compounded and not recognized from day 1 will be instantly tacked onto your balance.

thanks for the correction:D . I'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to money matters...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.