Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Me and my wife finally got tired of renting and bit the bullet and bought a house - which means I get a real office opposed to my old loft. Plus I got new furniture out of the deal.

Before
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After
4.jpg

5.jpg

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Cool. Don't forget that if you do work in your office and earn business or self-employed income, you may be able to deduct a proportion of your home expenses as business expense.

iKWICK - yeah, that's an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 or similar - I have one myself. Beautiful prints if you use the right paper. Finicky as the devil to set up paper, print drivers, ink and colour balancing.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
iKWICK7 said:
Nice desk, looks good. Is that a wide format printer I see (i.e. 11x17 or bigger)? I am looking into getting one of those for myself.

It is the old & trusty Epson Stylus Photo 2200 (13X19) still chugging along after 5 years (knock on wood)

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
CanadaRAM said:
Cool. Don't forget that if you do work in your office and earn business or self-employed income, you may be able to deduct a proportion of your home expenses as business expense.

Actually it kinda stinks because of the move - our old place was so small that I could deduct about 50% but now only 20% of our household expenses (rent/mortgage, utilities, exc.)

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
awesome setup. i was just curious but are you not using the magnetic stand for the iSight? the stand looked transparent. what kinda stand are you using?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Congrats - it is nice to have a place to stretch out and work peacefully.

Oh, and also a place to store the Budweiser lamp your wife wouldn't let you put in the living room. :p

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
ironic23 said:
awesome setup. i was just curious but are you not using the magnetic stand for the iSight? the stand looked transparent. what kinda stand are you using?

It is the stick on mount that came with the original iSight when it was first introduced.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
emw said:
Congrats - it is nice to have a place to stretch out and work peacefully.

Oh, and also a place to store the Budweiser lamp your wife wouldn't let you put in the living room. :p

Actually she gave it to me as a birthday gift - she actually works for Anhueser Bush so we have all kinds of beer related signs and artwork in the living room.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
What I see is that awesome ergonomic mesh chair (right?) How much did you wind up paying for yours?

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Maxwell Smart said:
What I see is that awesome ergonomic mesh chair (right?) How much did you wind up paying for yours?

It is a Herman Miller Aeron Chair - My mom works for Herman Miller and gave it and an Eames Chair to me as a college graduation present so I don't know how much she paid but you can get them online at http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/ - they appear to start at $899 with free shipping (but I don't know how well that will work because this chair has so many options and features - I had a 1hr sitting to be fitted and taught about all the levers and switches it has for adjustment.)

Link to Herman Miller Aeron Chairs

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
CanadaRAM said:
Is it just me, or do your female relatives seem to be extraordinarily well connected for a guy with your tastes? ;)

Or it could be that - that is why I am the way I am (regarding my tastes/likes)

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
mustard said:
It is a Herman Miller Aeron Chair - My mom works for Herman Miller and gave it and an Eames Chair to me as a college graduation present so I don't know how much she paid but you can get them online at http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/ - they appear to start at $899 with free shipping (but I don't know how well that will work because this chair has so many options and features - I had a 1hr sitting to be fitted and taught about all the levers and switches it has for adjustment.)

Link to Herman Miller Aeron Chairs

Figured as much, that's about the price I've seen. My mom got her work to buy her one and it does wonders for sitting at a desk all day, no more back pain etc anymore. I wanted her to try to get me one but that isn't gonna happen :p And lord knows I can't afford to spend 900 dollars on a chair ;)

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
CanadaRAM said:
yeah, that's an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 or similar - I have one myself. Beautiful prints if you use the right paper. Finicky as the devil to set up paper, print drivers, ink and colour balancing.

mustard said:
It is the old & trusty Epson Stylus Photo 2200 (13X19) still chugging along after 5 years (knock on wood)

Would either of you recommend one? I've been looking to get one to primarily print out some AutoCad drawings (black and white plans and such) and some color renderings eventual (about time I started making a portfolio!). CompUsa always has an Epson and a Canon on sale for about 399.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
iKWICK7 said:
Would either of you recommend one? I've been looking to get one to primarily print out some AutoCad drawings (black and white plans and such) and some color renderings eventual (about time I started making a portfolio!). CompUsa always has an Epson and a Canon on sale for about 399.

I really like my 2200 but for just black & white / line drawings I don't think you would need the same detail provided by the 2200. I would suggest the Epson Stylus Photo 1280 (MSRP $399) for lower resolution/line drawings or the Canon i9900 (MSRP $499) for light duty photography as well. Or try to get a second hand 2200 off eBay.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
mustard said:
It is the stick on mount that came with the original iSight when it was first introduced.

wait a second. the isight comes with a magnetic mount now? gah.. i hate when things get updated and i dont know it lol! i got the isight with my powerbook right when it came out.

nice space btw! i love those aeron chairs! wish i had one. seeing that setup makes me want to sell my dell display and get a secodn 23" ACD and bring it home instead of having it at the office lol.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Nar1117 said:
Are those all harddrives that i see on the left side of the desk?

Yupp
- 1TB
- DVD-RW (LightScribe)
- 500GB (Mirrored Raid Disk 1)
- 500GB (Mirrored Raid Disk 2)

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
mustard said:
I really like my 2200 but for just black & white / line drawings I don't think you would need the same detail provided by the 2200. I would suggest the Epson Stylus Photo 1280 (MSRP $399) for lower resolution/line drawings or the Canon i9900 (MSRP $499) for light duty photography as well. Or try to get a second hand 2200 off eBay.

Thanks for the advice- I'll look into it. Just noticed that you live in North Brunswick- I used to live in Marlboro/still work there on weekends. Small world. :)

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
iKWICK7 said:
Thanks for the advice- I'll look into it. Just noticed that you live in North Brunswick- I used to live in Marlboro/still work there on weekends. Small world. :)

Actually just moved here from Hoboken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.