Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I just sold my iPad gen 3, and picked up the iPad 4th gen today. Yes, I know, new ones are around the corner, but I figure that while the form factor will change and have faster processors, for what I use the iPad 4, I'll be good for a couple of years.

But I did notice, that the Apple store STILL sells the iPad 2 and NOT the iPad 3rd gen. :confused: I wonder if the iPad 3rd gen wasn't really want they wanted to release and that's why the 4th gen came out so fast.

Curious why Apple says the 2, but not the 3, while selling the 4.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I just sold my iPad gen 3, and picked up the iPad 4th gen today. Yes, I know, new ones are around the corner, but I figure that while the form factor will change and have faster processors, for what I use the iPad 4, I'll be good for a couple of years.

But I did notice, that the Apple store STILL sells the iPad 2 and NOT the iPad 3rd gen. :confused: I wonder if the iPad 3rd gen wasn't really want they wanted to release and that's why the 4th gen came out so fast.

Because the 3 and 4 are so similar save for the lightning port and some speed. They are both retina. The 2 is not and so can be sold for less. The 4 is really a 3.5.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Because the 3 and 4 are so similar save for the lightning port and some speed. They are both retina. The 2 is not and so can be sold for less. The 4 is really a 3.5.

Ya, that's what the sales rep told me. The "iPad 4" is really 3.5.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The offer in my work came up this week to get the latest iPad (or Mini) at a discounted price, so I've snapped up a 32GB WiFi iPad 4 and will give the iPad 3 64GB WiFi + Cellular I got last year on the same offer to my wife.

I never used the full 64GB and tether to my iPhone 4S via WiFi for browsing on the iPad, so the Cellular feature wasn't even used. Delivery is around July, and while I know there's going to be a new form factor in the iPad 5, developers haven't even scratched the surface of that A6X yet so the 4 will be relatively future proof for a couple of years.

I game a lot on my iPad, so it's important I can run the latest games for a while yet. When I used the 4 in the Apple Store alongside my 3, I couldn't see much difference in operation speed, but I'll see how I feel after spending some time with the 4.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Ya, that's what the sales rep told me. The "iPad 4" is really 3.5.

I'd say the 3 was more of a 2.5 really.....only real difference was the retina display (and GPU chip to power it).

The 4 is the real 3 - what Apple wanted to release, but didn't get together in time I'd imagine.....the 3rd gen was the stop-gap IMO.

Looking forward to the 5.....I have the mini and will be looking forward to the mini 2 if it gets retina. Though if they can manage to make the 5 considerably slimmer and lighter, I might be tempted to go for the 128gb version (and if they lower the prices and go with a 32-64-128 lineup, I'm sold!)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They dropped the 3 because it was a stuttering mess with an underpowered chip.

This!!

I think Apple dropped the ball on this and did an injustice to loyal customers. Of course the first iPad I bought was the worst. I'm waiting for the next gen.

OP. how are you liking it over the 3. Obviously not to different but I feel my buddies 2 is zippier then my 3 and to be honest I can't see the difference in the display unless I set them side by side and study them for differences.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Question about the ipad mini

Sometimes when I have a tab open on safari and I go to another app , when I return back to safari the page refreshes

Like if I leave this reply to topic post open on tapatalk & I switch to another app, when I come back to tapatalk the page refreshes & I lose everything I wrote
Is this because of the low ram on the mini or is just how things are suppose to be ?

I don't have this problem on my iphone 5 I can hit reply to a post , type something
Leave the app & when I come back there's no refresh

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Question about the ipad mini

Sometimes when I have a tab open on safari and I go to another app , when I return back to safari the page refreshes

Like if I leave this reply to topic post open on tapatalk & I switch to another app, when I come back to tapatalk the page refreshes & I lose everything I wrote
Is this because of the low ram on the mini or is just how things are suppose to be ?

I don't have this problem on my iphone 5 I can hit reply to a post , type something
Leave the app & when I come back there's no refresh

That is due to lack of RAM.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Nice! Let us know to what extent you're noticing the performance increases. This is my number one reason for upgrading my 3 to a 5 and I'm assuming it'll perform relatively similar. I don't find my 3 to be too stuttery or slow but my mini without that retina display sometimes feels snappier and my iPhone 5 is even better. I only started noticing this after upgrading to iOS6 as 5 was exceptionally smooth on this device. It's about time I get an iPad with an A6X+

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I've owned all the versions so far, I like to buy the new one and gift my old one but I do get a lot of mileage out of my tablets. When you are using your current tablet you probably don't care about speed or won't even notice it. From 2 to 3, the display was absolutely brilliant and I was happy. I hesitated to upgrade to the 4 simply because I was buying into the comments but it is so much snappier. The 4 is the best pad yet - and I have no doubt the 5 will be better after months of telling myself the 4 is just as good. ;)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Nice! Let us know to what extent you're noticing the performance increases. This is my number one reason for upgrading my 3 to a 5 and I'm assuming it'll perform relatively similar. I don't find my 3 to be too stuttery or slow but my mini without that retina display sometimes feels snappier and my iPhone 5 is even better. I only started noticing this after upgrading to iOS6 as 5 was exceptionally smooth on this device. It's about time I get an iPad with an A6X+

Everything across the board. The experience is very smoother and faster. I can't explain it, but the iPad 3 was clearly not powered properly. I also think there's something wrong with the wi-fi on the iPad 3. I think Apple pulled a fast one over its customers on this one, hence why it came out so quickly. But the iPad 4 is a MUCH better version. Web surfing is faster in terms of loading and rendering. Some pages used to crash Chrome (theverge.com for instance), and now it doesn't do that anymore. Pages used to refresh every time I went back to a tab. I don't see this happen anymore.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Even though I know the iPad4 is so much better and faster I love my iPad3.
Works flawlessly.

The iPad3 reminds me of the bumblebee. The bumblebee is too big (on paper) to fly with its inadequate and small wings. Yet, it does.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
This!!

I think Apple dropped the ball on this and did an injustice to loyal customers. Of course the first iPad I bought was the worst. I'm waiting for the next gen.

OP. how are you liking it over the 3. Obviously not to different but I feel my buddies 2 is zippier then my 3 and to be honest I can't see the difference in the display unless I set them side by side and study them for differences.

The 1st was the best with OS 3 on it (it was designed for that). It had trouble with new software afterwards.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I'd say the 3 was more of a 2.5 really.....only real difference was the retina display (and GPU chip to power it).

did you just say ONLY retina and GPU? do you have any idea what kind of R&D goes into developing a retina display? clearly not...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
did you just say ONLY retina and GPU? do you have any idea what kind of R&D goes into developing a retina display? clearly not...

So the iPad 3 is a larger mini with retina.

Or the iPad 3 is an iPad 2 with retina.

The iPad 4 however is more than twice as fast the the 2/3/mini with retina, better battery life and a better GPU than all.

The 4 isn't the out of place iPad here - its the 3. That was the point I was trying to make.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I sold my ipad 3 nearly 3 months ago and am barely surviving for a iPad 5 or iPad mini 2. Inasmuch i recently sold my late 27" 2009 imac about 2 weeks ago, and am having a hell of time adjusting with my 15" MacBook retina. I feel your pain, in fact I sometimes wish that I never read rumors as it makes me sometimes want to sell ahead.

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I sold my ipad 3 nearly 3 months ago and am barely surviving for a iPad 5 or iPad mini 2. Inasmuch i recently sold my late 27" 2009 imac about 2 weeks ago, and am having a hell of time adjusting with my 15" MacBook retina. I feel your pain, in fact I sometimes wish that I never read rumors as it makes me sometimes want to sell ahead.

I hear ya. I use my iPad as a laptop using my iMac's keyboard as a typing device when I need to do long emails, Evernotes, or iWork docs. This iPad is MUCH more pleasant to use than my iPad 3. It feels faster, I swear it's not in my head. It's just a smoother experience.

Question: I'm thinking of taking my 16GB back for the 32GB. Retyping all my passwords into my apps was a royal PITA (I installed everything fresh by redownloading the apps instead of from an iCloud backup). If I get the 32GB, can I just reinstall my iCloud backup and will it keep my passwords and such intact?

I have a mid-2010 iMac that will be on sale soon and I'm deciding between a new iMac or the Macbook Pro with Retina, 15 inch. But I do photography so I think my choice is clear.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Congrats!!
Most of the iOS7 features are coming to the iPad4 anyway so it's all good, it should be fine for the next year or two :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.