Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
well since no one posted yet that they brought there's home, i will. i was just at apple while they unboxed their first display model (i got to be the first to play with it) and then i bought mine. as soon as im done with my taco bell ill update the pics!

You have a really nice kitchen :apple:

Oh, and congrats on your new Macbook ;)

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I just got home... Didn't intend to buy a new laptop till the old 12" PB conked it but... Went into the Sydney Apple store this afternoon and after half an hour left with a bewildered look on my face and an absolutely gorgeous new 2.4GHz baby in my hand... I mean, I was going to have to get a new one eventually...

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
How is the fan noise on the new macbook? Could you please find out, compaired to the old one.

I think alot of people would like to find this out, as fan noise would be a killer with such a nice and expensive tool

there's nothing more annoying than a macbook mooing while you're trying to work

So far absolutely silent and no heat on the palm rest. i moved my library, used a usb hardrive and imported 3k songs to itunes. installed a tone of software. haven't heard anything but the DVD drive when i loaded a dvd. :p

new2macx

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
UK
Waah! Lucky you :D Sooo jealous- just ordered mine, delivery estimate is aages :eek: Why can't the Apple stores get them in bigger lorries?! :rolleyes:

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
I just wrote a huge response about every part of this guy, and the forum ate it.

Sorry guys, I have to go get ready for class, but I want you to know that the build quality and everything about this is the finest I have even had bar ONLY the g5 tower I had.

Truly AMAZING!

Its really quiet even when the fans kick in.

(had this window minimized and safari open during test)
CINEBENCH R10

Tester :

Processor : 2.4ghz
MHz :
Number of CPUs : 2
Operating System : OS X 32 BIT 10.5.5

Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9400M OpenGL Engine
Resolution : <fill this out>
Color Depth : <fill this out>

Rendering (Single CPU): 2498 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 5088 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 2.04

Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 4402 CB-GFX

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
How is the fan noise on the new macbook? Could you please find out, compaired to the old one.

I think alot of people would like to find this out, as fan noise would be a killer with such a nice and expensive tool

there's nothing more annoying than a macbook mooing while you're trying to work

The heat seems to be much better managed in this MacBook and my fan hasn't turned on yet

NSK123

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
sounds great, I guess you can't really make a 100% silent laptop, but the main thing I was worried about is the general noise in a silent environment like an empty kitchen in the morning or whatever.. you all know what I mean.

Alot of the SantaRosa macbooks that I tried would fire up to 5000-6k RPM with the fans as soon as It would get stressed out a bit but the newer Penryn revision completely annihilated that problem for me.. So my penryn macbook wouldn't even as much as think about raising fan speed no matter what I threw at it but the SantaRosa version would start to act up and fire up the rpm as soon as you start multi tasking.

So what I wanted to know is does the new Macbook fire up the rpm like the older macbooks or does it stay put? because I remember my old santaRosa macbook start humming alot as the rpm's just rose and rose during class and It was definitely noticeable as someone mentioned it to me :S

So could one of you that have the new MB clarify this?

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
sounds great, I guess you can't really make a 100% silent laptop, but the main thing I was worried about is the general noise in a silent environment like an empty kitchen in the morning or whatever.. you all know what I mean.

Alot of the SantaRosa macbooks that I tried would fire up to 5000-6k RPM with the fans as soon as It would get stressed out a bit but the newer Penryn revision completely annihilated that problem for me.. So my penryn macbook wouldn't even as much as think about raising fan speed no matter what I threw at it but the SantaRosa version would start to act up and fire up the rpm as soon as you start multi tasking.

So what I wanted to know is does the new Macbook fire up the rpm like the older macbooks or does it stay put? because I remember my old santaRosa macbook start humming alot as the rpm's just rose and rose during class and It was definitely noticeable as someone mentioned it to me :S

So could one of you that have the new MB clarify this?

no it doesnt. atleast not yet. im taking it to class here in a bit and ill let you know!

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I'm not sure but all I know is after an hour of the sims 2 the laptop was still cool and quiet, unlike my old one

thetinman

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
England
I'm not sure but all I know is after an hour of the sims 2 the laptop was still cool and quiet, unlike my old one

I got to second that, my MB is so quite. Its a very wierd contrast compared to my old iMac G5 which could at times be noisey and make all sorts of sounds.

NSK123

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
sounds great that they have finally dealt with the fan and mooing issues, gotta go try one of these laptops out in the Apple store before buying though.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I had to laugh. First of all, we have the same countertops. Absolutely beautiful. Also, mine functions as both a place to eat and drink and also a place to unbox new toys. Second, just like you, whenever I go make big purchases, I always stop by Taco Bell on the way home. Bought my HDTV - Taco Bell. Bought my Honda Pilot - Taco Bell. Bought my Mac - Taco Bell. Funny stuff!

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I had to laugh. First of all, we have the same countertops. Absolutely beautiful. Also, mine functions as both a place to eat and drink and also a place to unbox new toys. Second, just like you, whenever I go make big purchases, I always stop by Taco Bell on the way home. Bought my HDTV - Taco Bell. Bought my Honda Pilot - Taco Bell. Bought my Mac - Taco Bell. Funny stuff!

haha, that is pretty funny. but if i lived in california i think i'd be going to carls jr. after my major purchases, i LOVE that place!

Ozzymandos

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Falcon, CO

Hilarious. I brought home my new Macbook last night as well (1299 model) and on the way we stopped and bought Taco Bell. Number 4 please! I've got toys to unpack!

Our internet had died sometime during the day, so I mostly goofed around with Garage Band. I'm impressed so far! I didn't notice any heat at all compared to my HPTX2500 and little or no fan noise, BTW.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Congrats on your purchase. I went to the apple store yesterday to check them out and they look nicer in person then in the photos. However it's very difficult to distinguish the MB, MBP and Airs now they all basically looked the same on the display. Maybe not a bad thing just an observation.

The screen was beautiful too, and I like the new trackpad a lot. I still prefer my glossy white macbook, but I could get used to the aluminum. If I didn't have 2 firewire drives and a firewire camcorder the lack of a firewire port wouldn't bother me so much. But I'm sure for the average person they don't even know what firewire is.

enjoy it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.