Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
the point is we don't. so why make a thread about it to brag? we didn't make the thread...he did remember

I get it. I guess I just never think it a good use of my time to waste time responding to things like that. But I'm posting in a thread I don't really care about either way, so I guess I am wasting time! :)

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Can you post a link to your eBay auctions. Also don't ship overseas or to Nigerian kings.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I get it. I guess I just never think it a good use of my time to waste time responding to things like that. But I'm posting in a thread I don't really care about either way, so I guess I am wasting time! :)

since when are forums a productive use of time? lol

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Apple likely has millions of these in retail outlets. My friend who was going to rob me of my preorder to give to his overseas friend visiting was able to stroll in and buy two with no wait. Doesn't look good for Ebayers dreaming of big profit LOL.

Over seas market.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Do you guys really care if someone tries to make a few bucks on eBay? It's not like he is forcing people to buy them. He may make a few bucks, lose his ass or somewhere in between. But do you really care? :confused:

Two reasons:

1) It inevitably makes it that little bit harder for legitimate customers to get hold of the device they want at the price they should be. I suspect most people reading this have at some point been trying to get hold of something in short supply and scalpers make things way harder than they should be.

2) Scalping in general is a pain in the arse and the world would be a better place without the practice. Ultimately it leads to the mess we currently have with concerts with hundreds (or even thousands) of tickets being bought for resale, prices going up and genuine customers getting screwed over (either on price if bought through said scalpers or with fewer good tickets available). In addition you have the murky world of the scam artist who offer products that never turn up, aren't as described etc and people loose a lot of money to them.

And as a secondary reason the people that do it typically lie like hell about their reasons for doing so, witness the OP's "I'm just doing it to help people" line above. Can't help but dislike people that do that I'm afraid, just ain't honest...

liquidlink

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
I was just watching an ebay auction, someone sold a new iPad 32GB WiFi for $760 in an auction, after fees to ebay and paypal they made a whole $25 dollars on the ipad. My time is worth a whole hell of a lot more then $25! Some people are just not too bright!

grantrobarts

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
CA
I just looked through the iPad 3 auctions on eBay. There are no bids on most auctions ending in the next 2 hours.

It's an iPad 3, not a revolutionary 2007 original iPhone. Different demand. Different supply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.