Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Hi, my first impressions on my new iPhone6S+ after a couple of days of use. I switched from iPhone5S, which broke (but Apple Store gave me $200 in credit).

- Size. Obvious change in size, I thought that it would've been a problem,but I got used after not even two hours. The main issue is using the keyboard, which feels different, but the more I use it the better it feels. I find the double tap to reduce the screen portion for one hand use very useful.

- Battery. Wow, I removed the phone from the charger at 7AM, and I used all day long to watch youtube, play chess with Shredder, check facebook and email, configuring it, and playing with it just to see the new functions. The battery hit the red at 8PM. Just wow, I wonder why so many people complain about the battery.

- 3D Touch. I am getting used to it, although I don't see it as a killer function. At least not yet. It is showing some potential, but what's is the purpose other than skipping one click?

- Camera. I love it. I am not a pro-photographer, so I am not interested in all the high-end stuff. The quality is a huge improvement from 5S, the videos are well balanced, slow-mo is much better. I am impressed, except for one particular instance. I might do something wrong, but it seems to me that low-light pictures are of worse quality (and darker) than iPhone5S.

- Live Photos. I like them, although they're weird. I think that this function requires a little bit of extra effort from the photographer. It has the potential of shooting great moving pictures, especially of sport events. One question: is there a way to remove sound from them?

- TouchID. It's smoking fast compared to iPhone5S!!!! What a difference!

- ApplePay. I used to buy some good roasted chicken from Sprouts. It worked flawlessly. Potentially a game changer, but in the long run.

Plus: I don't think I need an iPad anymore. Maybe an iPad Pro, but not a regular iPad, and certainly not a Mini.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
People complain about the battery on the 6s and 6s+ because they are physically smaller than those on the 6 and 6+ and therefore hold less charge.

Compared to your old 5s, the 6s+ holds much more charge so from your perspective you are getting a better deal. But for someone coming from the 6 to the 6s models it's less. Not dramitcally so, but it is less.

That's because Apple needed more room for the screen. The screen is deeper because of Force Touch.

Force Touch by the way, is by no means a killer feature. But it is a shortcut and lots of people appreciate that.

Reactions: determined09

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
People complain about the battery on the 6s and 6s+ because they are physically smaller than those on the 6 and 6+ and therefore hold less charge.

Compared to your old 5s, the 6s+ holds much more charge so from your perspective you are getting a better deal. But for someone coming from the 6 to the 6s models it's less. Not dramitcally so, but it is less.

That's because Apple needed more room for the screen. The screen is deeper because of Force Touch.

Force Touch by the way, is by no means a killer feature. But it is a shortcut and lots of people appreciate that.

Thank you for your explanation, very interesting.

Reactions: eyoungren

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I haven't noticed any noticeable difference in battery charge going from a 6 Plus to a 6S Plus. It last's just as long. Maybe the battery in the 6S Plus is more efficient. Certainly my usage habits have not changed.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I haven't noticed any noticeable difference in battery charge going from a 6 Plus to a 6S Plus. it last's just as long. Maybe the battery in the 6S Plus is more efficient. Certainly my usage habits have not changed.
I have to say I haven't noticed much either.

But I know there were a few vocal people here that were complaining about the battery size when Apple announced the 6s/6s+.

Had I said there was nothing to complain about regarding the battery, someone here would have called me out on it.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hi, my first impressions on my new iPhone6S+ after a couple of days of use. I switched from iPhone5S, which broke (but Apple Store gave me $200 in credit).

- Size. Obvious change in size, I thought that it would've been a problem,but I got used after not even two hours. The main issue is using the keyboard, which feels different, but the more I use it the better it feels. I find the double tap to reduce the screen portion for one hand use very useful.

- Battery. Wow, I removed the phone from the charger at 7AM, and I used all day long to watch youtube, play chess with Shredder, check facebook and email, configuring it, and playing with it just to see the new functions. The battery hit the red at 8PM. Just wow, I wonder why so many people complain about the battery.

- 3D Touch. I am getting used to it, although I don't see it as a killer function. At least not yet. It is showing some potential, but what's is the purpose other than skipping one click?

- Camera. I love it. I am not a pro-photographer, so I am not interested in all the high-end stuff. The quality is a huge improvement from 5S, the videos are well balanced, slow-mo is much better. I am impressed, except for one particular instance. I might do something wrong, but it seems to me that low-light pictures are of worse quality (and darker) than iPhone5S.

- Live Photos. I like them, although they're weird. I think that this function requires a little bit of extra effort from the photographer. It has the potential of shooting great moving pictures, especially of sport events. One question: is there a way to remove sound from them?

- TouchID. It's smoking fast compared to iPhone5S!!!! What a difference!

- ApplePay. I used to buy some good roasted chicken from Sprouts. It worked flawlessly. Potentially a game changer, but in the long run.

Plus: I don't think I need an iPad anymore. Maybe an iPad Pro, but not a regular iPad, and certainly not a Mini.
I must say when I got my 6 Plus i said the same thing about my iPad. In reality the 9.7 screen is just so much better for browsing and watching video at home.

I just love having the 5.5 screen when im away, I can still be productive.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I don't get why people think Touch ID is so fast on the 6S/6S+. I upgraded from a 6 and I read of people stating Touch ID is so fast you can't wake your iPhone using the home button because it will unlock the phone. I can do this without it unlocking the phone easily. That said, is it faster than the 6? Probably but not to the point where I anticipated based on reviews or complaints. Perhaps this was changed in an iOS update.

I agree about battery life, it's a huge step up for me coming from a 6, the biggest issue is that it takes almost 3 hours to charge from 0%. I timed it using the iPad charger from 0% to 100% it took me 2 hours and 42 minutes.

I personally don't like Live Photos but I do like 3D Touch a lot.

The size coming from a 5S must be a huge step, but from a 6 wasn't bad at all. After using the 6S plus I don't know why I didn't go with the 6 Plus instead of the 6. But I'm glad now as others are indicating the 6 plus has a better battery life than the 6S plus.

But I'm loving my 6S plus and I chose it after test driving a nexus 6P for a week.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I use 3D Touch constantly in all switcher. I'm constantly hopping back and forth between apps and it's not only faster, it's way more convenient than awkwardly repositioning my hand to double tap the home button.

I also write a lot and I find it indispensable for dropping the cursor exactly where you want it (in on iOS 9.3 public beta and I think this feature has either gotten much smoother implementation here or I just use it so much I'm good at it). It's also great for hi lighting specific areas of text.

Previewing something like an imagine without having to go back and forth is also nice, but I don't personally see it as a boon for previewing a web page. Email to a limited extent I like it for but I can usually tell by subject line and sender whether it's something to look at closely or not.

Where I don't really ever use 3D Touch is on an app icon and, strangely, this seems to be how it is most often advertised. I just don't find that this really adds any functionality to my daily routine. Perhaps, in time, it will. I suspect being able to edit the options that are displayed when 3D Touching an icon might get me to look into it more, but I'm unsure if that's something on the docket of "to be announced" features.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I upgraded from a 6 and I read of people stating Touch ID is so fast you can't wake your iPhone using the home button because it will unlock the phone. I can do this without it unlocking the phone easily.

Seriously, this is what happens to me. I can't push the button without finding myself logged in already!!

The size coming from a 5S must be a huge step

Yes, but not as some make it to be, at least in my experience.
[doublepost=1455910738][/doublepost]
I use 3D Touch constantly in all switcher. I'm constantly hopping back and forth between apps and it's not only faster, it's way more convenient than awkwardly repositioning my hand to double tap the home button.

I also write a lot and I find it indispensable for dropping the cursor exactly where you want it (in on iOS 9.3 public beta and I think this feature has either gotten much smoother implementation here or I just use it so much I'm good at it). It's also great for hi lighting specific areas of text.

Previewing something like an imagine without having to go back and forth is also nice, but I don't personally see it as a boon for previewing a web page. Email to a limited extent I like it for but I can usually tell by subject line and sender whether it's something to look at closely or not.

Where I don't really ever use 3D Touch is on an app icon and, strangely, this seems to be how it is most often advertised. I just don't find that this really adds any functionality to my daily routine. Perhaps, in time, it will. I suspect being able to edit the options that are displayed when 3D Touching an icon might get me to look into it more, but I'm unsure if that's something on the docket of "to be announced" features.

Mmm... I guess I haven't discovered all the functionalities then. How can you use it to switch between apps?!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Oh wow. yes, this is going to change how I use the phone!
One you get good at that combined with swiping back (it's not a new feature of the OS but I started using it heavily since 3D Touch) you are likely to notice an increase in productivity (or fun time, or whatever you use your phone for lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.