Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I was just asked what the difference was between an ipod and an mp3.

Sometimes I feel spoiled being around all you people that actually know what you are talking about

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
There's a big difference between an iPod and an MP3. They're two entirely different things. An iPod is a Digial Music Player (DAP) and an MP3 is an audio codec.

I'm going to assume you're talking about AAC and MP3. Both are audio codecs, both are lossy formats which means that they condense the music file down by eliminating the frequencies that we can't hear.

There's more that I'm not sure on but I would explain, but it's late at night and I doubt I'd get any of it straight. Hell, I don't know if I got the stuff I wrote down straight other than the iPod/MP3 stuff.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
These days when people say "MP3" they often mean a portable player that can play MP3 audio files. The iPod is one of these, but just about all portable players (except for some Sony models) can do that.

Most non-iPod players also play WMA (Windows Media) files. iPod instead supports AAC. This is the main difference (especially when either file type carries copy protection) that brings in the compatibility issues.

In general, MP3 files are MP3 files, though, and will play on just about anything. It only gets messy when you look at the commercial download services.

Warbrain said:
There's a big difference between an iPod and an MP3. They're two entirely different things. An iPod is a Digial Music Player (DAP) and an MP3 is an audio codec.
Historically. Generic audio players have been marketed as "MP3s" for some time now, and generic video players as "MP4s". Words change.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Warbrain said:

I'm going to assume you're talking about AAC and MP3. Both are audio codecs, both are lossy formats which means that they condense the music file down by eliminating the frequencies that we can't hear.

There's more that I'm not sure on but I would explain, but it's late at night and I doubt I'd get any of it straight. Hell, I don't know if I got the stuff I wrote down straight other than the iPod/MP3 stuff.

Haha thanks, yea I know the differences just was amazed I was asked this from someone. My reaction was almost like are you kidding me?

As I said I'm spoiled by posting on forums where everyone knows these things like the back of thier hands and when I get a question asked like this I'm baffled lol

So yes, I do know the difference and conveyed them very well to the person I hope but just thought I'd share the experience

But thanks for your take anyways

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Im pretty sure that when (ordinary) people refer to an mp3 they would be refering to all digital music players which would include ipods, although techniquly they are very diffferent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.