Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
I just got my MacBook Pro this morning and I'm exstatic, really nice computer and looks amazing! (first mac ever)

I've got a problem though, I'm wanting to connect to the internet but cant seem to figure out how to!

I'm using Tesco broadband and have installed the USB modem drivers onto the laptop, it said to restart the computer then plug the modem in, after doing so go to system preferences, networking and you should get a pop up saying that its recognised the modem but nothing happens....
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software but still nothing, I tried to create a new port for the modem in the networking tab but I only get the options of:

Bluetooth
Built-in-ethernet
Built-in-Firewire
Airport
6 to 4
Link Aggregate

So how do I connect a USB modem if theirs no USB port options?

Sorry to be so confused haha but I was under the impression that with a mac "it just works" :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes, installing drivers and using a USB modem are usually problems.

Get an ethernet modem, and the need for drivers will vanish.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Sun Baked said:
Yes, installing drivers and using a USB modem are usually problems.

Get an ethernet modem, and the need for drivers will vanish.

:confused:

So what? Theirs no way I can connect to the internet with my MBP with a USB modem?

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
garblot said:
I assume that you mean the Apple USB 56k modem. Am I right? With broadband?

No I mean a speedtouch ADSL modem as provided by Tesco (NTL), the very one I'm using right now to have to Windows PC on the internet (Which funilly enough just worked haha)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
No, the OP means a broadband modem that plugs into the computer via USB instead of ethernet.

They are a way of service providers limiting the ability of the customer to share the access to more than one computer because you can't plug a USB modem into a router. They are horrible pieces of machinery, I would ring your service provider (if they were the ones who supplied you with the USB modem) and demand they send you a proper broadband modem with an ethernet connection.

That telcos still provide USB modems these days is beyond me.

With an ethernet modem you can plug in a wireless router and use your MBP anywhere in the house. It also frees up one of your USB ports.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Doesn't your DSL modem have Ethernet :confused: :confused: ? Why not just plug in the Ethernet cable from the modem directly into the MBP? This must be what you do with the Windows PCs that you have running.

I don't understand why you're trying to use a USB connection.

Edit: Thanks for the clarification Chundles; USB modems sound like rubbish to me. I'd ask your provider to give you a real modem with Ethernet.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
gauchogolfer said:

This is my modem

Speedtouch.gif

It has a single connection on the back for a phone line to go into and a built-in USB cable.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
gauchogolfer said:
Doesn't your DSL modem have Ethernet :confused: :confused: ? Why not just plug in the Ethernet cable from the modem directly into the MBP? This must be what you do with the Windows PCs that you have running.

Some telcos don't want you using the internet connection you paid for in a way convenient to you and so provide a DSL modem that connects to your computer via USB instead of ethernet.

This denies you use of a router and thus any internet sharing you want to do has to be done via software through the connected computer, slowing it and your connection down - not to mention the connected computer has to be on for any other computers to connect.

It's a nasty way of constraining your use of broadband internet and should be stopped. Broadband internet should come into your computer via ethernet or wireless, not USB. *shakes head at nasty constricting telcos*

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Regardless of how infringing on my rights etc etc it is how can I get my MBP on the internet using a USB modem?

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
garblot said:
Is the modem connected directly to the computer or to a hub of some sort?

Phone line into modem >> modem into PC USB port

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
garblot said:
It is a broadband USB modem, doesn't matter how it connect -- the drivers are problematic if they do work.

Which is why we tell anyone with a USB broadband product to hunt down an ethernet version.

Likely they had a Mac USB driver before, but have yet to bring out a universal one.

Edit: chances are it was a OS 9 driver....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
garblot said:

It would plug straight into the machine.

To the OP, get on the phone and demand a proper ethernet modem. USB modems are not standard networking protocol, that's why they need drivers.

If they are unwilling to provide one, you may have to purchase an ethernet one (while you're at it, get a wireless router with the modem built in, then you'll have one box with the ability to connect to the web and share that connection to both wired and wireless computers) which I know sounds like a bugger but this really is the fault of the telco for providing you with substandard service.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
cwedl said:
its says here
that tesco broadband is not mac friendly! whatever that means!

:( it does say in the software that they provided me with that it can be installed on a Mac.

So what I'm stuck with a 2k laptop that I can't get onto the internet? :eek:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sacred said:
:( it does say in the software that they provided me with that it can be installed on a Mac.

Probably for PowerPC macs, not the Intel Macs.

Just means you need to get them to send you and ethernet modem, or buy one yourself.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sacred said:

No, you're stuck with a crappy proprietary modem that should be replaced with an ethernet modem. Oh, and we had two Alcatel Speedtouch modems (ethernet versions) and on both the power supplies tried to do the dissapear into a puff of smoke trick, only the smoke was sort of green and smelt funny. So not only is the modem itself dodgy but it uses a dodgy connection too.

It's you telco's fault for supplying you with a cheap P.O.S. USB modem (sure it worked on Windows but then, Windows will allow you to use bollocksed-up methods of doing something that should be simple).

I'd be ropable if they sent me a USB modem - it's just not cricket.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Sun Baked said:
Probably for PowerPC macs, not the Intel Macs.

Just means you need to get them to send you and ethernet modem, or buy one yourself.

Where can I get an ethernet modem that will work with a Mac for delivery tomorrow? (From England, UK btw)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Seriously, buy an ADSL modem with ethernet and wireless built in. It'll work quicker and more reliably with both your PC and your Mac than a USB one. There are loads of reviews here:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/

Personally I'm about to buy one of these:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-sar600ew.htm

They seem to get good reviews and I (along with colleagues) have had good service from Solwise in the past. They ship by Special Delivery as well, you could be up and running by lunchtime tomorrow. :)

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
alFR said:
Seriously, buy an ADSL modem with ethernet and wireless built in. It'll work quicker and more reliably with both your PC and your Mac than a USB one. There are loads of reviews here:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/

Personally I'm about to buy one of these:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-sar600ew.htm

They seem to get good reviews and I (along with colleagues) have had good service from Solwise in the past. They ship by Special Delivery as well, you could be up and running by lunchtime tomorrow. :)

Cheers for the link, few questions.

1) Anyone care to send me some money? Bit skint after dropping almost 2k on a laptop and £349 on office for mac
2) How do I connect to the internet using a different modem? (as in how will the modem know where to connect to, its not like dial up as in I dont have a number :confused: )
3) What would I need to have my PC connect to the wireless internet connection (and for the love of god I hope its cheap)

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Would those work with the OP's Tesco connection?

If not, he'd really be better off switching to a provider that properly supports ethernet modems/routers.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
OP: Go to Currys/Dixons/Argos/PC World and ask for a..

Router with Built-In Modem.

It will set you back about £30 for a wired one, or for £50 - you can get a wireless one that lets you use your MacBook wirelessly, go on the internet without wires.

When you get the router, you will get an Ethernet cable (its used to connect computers to networks, and the internet). You plug one end of the cable into the MacBook Pro, another end into the Router. You then have a standard telephone line from your Router to your Phone Socket.

Thats it - you have an internet connection.

You don't need to set anything up, go into System Preferences, nothing. It does it all for you.

(Many internet providers do not support Macs, therefore give you USB Modems that do not work with them. You need a Router)

Go out and buy one, its not the Macs fault - its Tesco. Plus Routers don't need drivers or any setup... AT ALL.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sacred said:
Where can I get an ethernet modem that will work with a Mac for delivery tomorrow? (From England, UK btw)

Your local electronics shop should have a bunch of them, look for ones from DLink, Belkin etc.

I bought an all-in-one thing (ADSL modem + router + wireless router) from DLink for not a great deal of money.

I got the other end of the stick though, was told I could access ADSL so i bought the box, and then was told I couldn't access ADSL after a closer look at my line.

Sorry, but I'm angry at telcos right now:
- I can't access ADSL on a main road in a city.

- Telcos are still providing USB modems for ADSL.

- Our big telco (Telstra) just wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on a study into creating a FTTN network across Australia which would allow faster and more widespread access to broadband internet only Telstra decided not to go ahead. Telstra is majority owned by the government.

- Just the other day our Communications Minister, Helen Coonan, was quoted with saying that Australians are generally happy with the speed of their internet connections despite the fact that most of us are on dial up and those with bb internet are on 512k connections that come with monthly download quotas and are very expensive.

AAARGH!!!:mad: :mad:

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Can someone link me to a wireless router that will work with a Mac and a PC and will arrive with me tomorrow morning. (can't drive so can't get to a local store, I live in a small mining village near Durham and its miles away from anything)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.