Just got my new MacBook...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mcarnes, Aug 14, 2006.

1. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

...and she's a beaut. It's a lot thinner than I thought it would be. No whine or moo or anything. Whisper quiet, and fast. It was BTO with 100GB HD, I should get the 2GB of RAM tomorrow.

That hype about the glossy screen is way overblown. The screen is really clear, just great. It puts my iBook screen to shame.

I'm giving it to the ex-wife as a gift. But I'm going to play with it for a few weeks first. :D I got her a 60GB iPod too. I just love making her poor boyfriend look bad. :p Naw, he seems alright.

Anyone notice that the screen kind of slams shut (once it gets close enough for the magnet grab it). Kind of concerns me because it seems to bang shut before the hard drive has a chance to park. You could lower the screen slowly, but knowing her she'll just slam it closed. Oh well, I guess Apple knows what it's doing.

Anyway, it's a great machine so go buy one.

2. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Can I be the first to ask why you're buying your EX wife such a nice gift? :D

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm wondering the same thing :confused:

4. abbottpc.com macrumors member

It must be nice to have money. I can't even afford one of these machines, and he is giving this to his ex just to make him look good. I don't think your ex will care so why waste your time and money?

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

6. MikeNemat macrumors regular

Notebook hard drives are built to tolerate movement and moderate shocks even while operating. Parking the head and/or spinning down is only useful to prevent damage from significant impact or sudden acceleration. The accelerometer inside the laptop controls this function. Rest assured, if the head needs parking, it will be parked.

7. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Cool!

About the ex, she supported me when I was a lazy bum in college and couldn't make up my mind (BS Biology, BA Philosophy, then the MD). Now she's broke and I've been doing well in the clinic I opened. It just feels like the right thing to do. My sisters think I'm nuts.

8. somewhatstunned macrumors member

mcarnes give it up. Save the gifts for the hot new girl or maybe take some time alone and keep it for yourself.

I've been through it, know what I'm talking about - Let those that leave leave. The alternatives are all pathetic and you end up with a bad deal.

9. mopppish macrumors 6502

10. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Yeah, I know. Probably should (that's what everyone tells me). I bought her a new car last year, when I was still driving my clunker. I dunno. I still have to find a house and move out of my friend's basement.

I'm gonna pay off her student loans (about $50K) then call it even. My student loans are like $250K, but I'm on the 25 year repayment plan. :p

Thing is, she cheated on me and left. And I found out the hard way (on Christmas no less). But she did support me all those years. Sometimes I feel like that Earl guy on TV. I guess I just want to cross her off my list.

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hey you know I am single ;) (and I'm a girl :D)

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

A new car and a new comp and student loans and she cheated on you.......what are you smoking man I say you more than repaid her. I mean it's not like you cheated on her so yea her fault but she is still getting queen treatmenat from you and very well her real bf lol. Wanna pay off my college loans??? lol

Anyways back to the subject, glad the comp works for you , mine is flawless as well. Definitly keep it! no brainer on this one buddy. You know you want to :)

13. somewhatstunned macrumors member

ok no from what I'm reading it's not the hots it's the guilts. mcarnes, pay her off in one lump sum and get the hell out of there. give her whatever it'll take to soothe your soul and quit with the gifties.

Or just - you know if she has the wits to carry you through your stumbling about then she has the wits to carry herself now.

You both sound like good people - she carried you and now you want to express gratitude. Cool. Do it. But don't make it your life's purpose.

Hm - is this off topic?

whatever - i hafta say it anyway.

14. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

If you're ever on this side of the world, look me up. :)

15. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Definitely want to. The thing is sweet! Must...must resist.

Photobooth is a hoot.

16. Frisco macrumors 68020

I agree. You are obviously both good people. There is nothing wrong with paying her back. Forget the comments "she cheated on me, screw her." You are an honest man, and at the end of your hard days work at the doctor's office you want nothing more than peace of mind.

Give her back everything she gave you, but nothing more. You will have peace of mind and she will eventually want you back X10. But you know better than to take her back. You are a Mac user!

Good Luck!

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

she cheated on you and you're doing all this... you're a bigger man than I. But anyway, enjoy the MB while you have it 'cause they're awesome. :D

18. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Yes :D

19. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

oh definately