Just got powerbook back from service and cd-rom doesnt work?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tyoelin, May 18, 2006.

1. tyoelin macrumors member

Jul 24, 2005
    I put a cd in the superdrive to start installing and nothing happens. No icons appear, nothing autostarts. I try to eject, again, nothing happens. I restart the computer once. Nothing. I restart a second time and now the superdrive starts to kick up and upon load the autostart runs. When it asks for the second CD, I put it in and nothing happens, it wont detect the CD.

Is there a setting for this detection like there is in a PC?
  2. dmetzcher macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2005
    Sounds like an issue with the drive. What you are describing would have noting to do with autostart in the PC. When you install something on a PC, and the installer asks for a second CD, that second CD usually is not autostart-capable. The installer is waiting for you to insert the CD, and, when it sees it, it continues on with its process.

If you just got the machine back from service, I would call who ever serviced it for you and tell them that you have a problem.

You could insert your OS install CD, and then restart your Mac, holding down the C key, so that you boot from the CD. If nothing happens, then you know you have an issue with the CD drive, and it's not an OS X problem, because you are not booted into OS X when you are starting up.