Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyoelin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
California
I put a cd in the superdrive to start installing and nothing happens. No icons appear, nothing autostarts. I try to eject, again, nothing happens. I restart the computer once. Nothing. I restart a second time and now the superdrive starts to kick up and upon load the autostart runs. When it asks for the second CD, I put it in and nothing happens, it wont detect the CD.

Is there a setting for this detection like there is in a PC?

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
tyoelin said:
I put a cd in the superdrive to start installing and nothing happens. No icons appear, nothing autostarts. I try to eject, again, nothing happens. I restart the computer once. Nothing. I restart a second time and now the superdrive starts to kick up and upon load the autostart runs. When it asks for the second CD, I put it in and nothing happens, it wont detect the CD.

Is there a setting for this detection like there is in a PC?
Sounds like an issue with the drive. What you are describing would have noting to do with autostart in the PC. When you install something on a PC, and the installer asks for a second CD, that second CD usually is not autostart-capable. The installer is waiting for you to insert the CD, and, when it sees it, it continues on with its process.

If you just got the machine back from service, I would call who ever serviced it for you and tell them that you have a problem.

You could insert your OS install CD, and then restart your Mac, holding down the C key, so that you boot from the CD. If nothing happens, then you know you have an issue with the CD drive, and it's not an OS X problem, because you are not booted into OS X when you are starting up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.