Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
I just hooked up my brand new iMac 2.0 duo core and am wondering if there are any must have updates, widgits, performance downloads that I should install? I heard there's one for making the processors run cooler?

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Do some furum searches for favorite apps, useful apps, etc... There are lots of threads with some very useful programs out there.

For widgets, go to Apple.com/OSX/widegets/Top 50 or just browse the different sections to see what interests you.

Enjoy your new iMac!

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Software update is always a good thing with a new machine. After that, name your machine, load up iTunes, iPhoto, customize the dock, and go searching Apple.com for widgets.

Also, check out the forums to see what software people recommend.

Oh, and have fun.

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
welcome. i got my first iMac 3 months ago.
some of my favorites

apps (free):
quicksilver
flip4 mac
neooffice
stuffit
clamxav
iBackup
handbrake
pac the man

widgets
istat

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Demon Hunter said:
Get high off the new computer smell while playing with iLife apps. :D

Ahhh. The smell of long-chain polymers.

I'd suggest in no particular order: BBEdit, Awaken, Album Cover Finder, iConquer, RDC, Mac the Ripper, Fetch, Airfoil (if you have an Airport Express), CoverBuddy, MacJournal, Firefox (for dodgy websites), Flip4Mac, and Graphic Converter.

I'd suggest iStat and the Minesweeper widget (to calm Windows users ;) ).

Also, enabling the Debug Menu in Safari is pretty handy because it let's you change the user string in Safari and pretend to be a Windows computer, or immediately change the browser to Firefox in case a website doesn't render properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.