Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitepawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I want to get a monitor that I can use as a tv as well.

I am going to be using the mac primarily for authoring DVDs. The quality of source video is really poor and there is no interest in trying to restore it, just preserve it.

Anyway, just ordered a kick-@$$ machine and now I need a monitor. There are 2 directions I am exploring right now- the first is to buy a TV and use it as a monitor. The second is to buy monitor and hook it up to the AV system as though it were a TV.

The monitor I have been looking at is a 24" LCD made by Dell- I think the model number is 2405. Anyway, the specs are off the chart and the reviews are really strong.

Coming it at around the same price is the Westinghouse 30" LCD Tv. It does have a 'pc' hookup and can handle 1280x1024.

So, at the same price, should I do a 30" TV with a lower resolution, or a really sharp monitor with a smaller screensize?

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
sharp screen over size, TV's suck for computers, have you ever hooked one up? tubes are not made for computers, a LCD would also be High definition, so it would be a little bit of futureproofing as well, so thats what i reccomend, and i've heard great things about the Dell Monitors and TVs, infact there are a ton of mac rumorbies around here that use them for their macs

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
kingcrowing said:
sharp screen over size, TV's suck for computers, have you ever hooked one up? tubes are not made for computers, a LCD would also be High definition, so it would be a little bit of futureproofing as well, so thats what i reccomend, and i've heard great things about the Dell Monitors and TVs, infact there are a ton of mac rumorbies around here that use them for their macs
I think he was talking about an LCD tv, not a standard CRT.

Here you now have to think about resolution. Your TV coming in at 1280x 1024 is going to offer you no more real estate than a 19" CRT running at the same resolution. Everything will just be bigger. You also don't want to run any LCD-based display at anything other than its native resolution or it will all just look like *****.

I think that Dell is a 1920x14something and that would be a huge benefit over the LCDTV for computing. I have heard good things about it and really, I hope to get one myself soon.

I say Dell, hands down.

Good Luck.

nerdykarim

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
atlanta, ga
i agree. but have you thought about going the 2x 2005fpw route? if you've got enough room on your desk, that would be my recommendation. the 2005fpw can go as low as $350, which is pretty sweet.
i'm sure you already know about this, but make sure to check websites like slickdeals.net fatwallet.com or gotapex.com before you buy that monitor. (i forgot to check if you were in the usa. so all my advice is based upon that assumption)

tuartboy said:
I say Dell, hands down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.