Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I don't quite get this argument. Even if the home button did work when wearing gloves, the screen doesn't.

Why would you want to wake the phone but then not interact with the screen?

Use Siri after waking phone?

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Legitimate breakdown from someone who has the previous generation of the product.

The OP isn't trying to push heroin or crack cocaine on anyone here or even tell nobody to get the phone.

He bought.

He tried.

He tested.

He returned.

Based on HIS preference and based on the individual unit he received.

And yes. Many times any subject on these boards that has the slightest hint of anti-Apple, it turns into a feeling of the North Korean style of dictatorship. Say ANYTHING against our supreme leader and your head will roll.
Exactly. This is a guy WITH an iPhone 6S. It's not like some guy with an Android and he's cutting down the new iPhone. Comparing his 6S with the 7, he doesn't see it as an upgrade. This opinion riles up the people that will buy the new phone, no matter what, because they don't want anyone suggesting that they wasted their money.

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
OP, I am going to keep my iPhone 7, but I think the "yellow screen" you are referring to are not yellow due to a manufacturing issue. Instead, I believe it is two things: 1. They are a lot warmer than previous iPhone screens (Apple stated this), and 2. the iPhone 7 isn't as bright as the 6s and 6. The latter, to me, is the bigger issue and one that perhaps lends itself to this whole 'yellow tint" theory. I am disappointed the iPhone 7 is not brighter and i am hoping that Apple fixes it with a software update.

Aside from the foregoing, I am going to hold onto my iPhone 7 because it was a 'slight' upgrade from my iPhone 6 and also because I got it in a color different from my iPhone 6 and I like it. Time will tell.

Good luck with the 6s and enjoy it.

I'm confused about one of your statements. You said that the iPhone 7 isn't as bright as the 6s, yet apple's website says it is 25% brighter than what I assume is the 6s and 6s plus screens.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.PNG
    IMG_0048.PNG
    894.1 KB · Views: 138

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Quote: After just 18 hours and 2 different iPhone 7's I have just returned the 7 and gone back to the 6S.

As of right now, the 7 is not a superior phone to the 6S in my opinion, for the following reasons:

-Yellow screens. This is a problem every year when they change the display. The good screens will come back in a few months. I think this has something to do with the manufacturing process of IPS displays. A residue is deposited for the first few million. In a month or so, the clear blue screens will return. This isn't glue, intentional, more correct, or any other BS reason we hear every year. Its a defect of the manufacturing process. 2 iPhone 7's I got both had vastly inferior screens to my 6S, even after color profile/tint correction. Contrast, clarity, and brightness all worse than the 6S.

And every year people see a different shade of yellow in their electronic life...lol I have seen literally (even maybe) 1 actual photo of a screen that was actually tinted YELLOW not just a picture taken from an angle by an OCD consumer. Though, your concerns may be justified I suppose, my 7 is sexy though.

-No noticeable speed increases. I put the phones next to each other and tried my hardest to make the 7 run faster. It didn't. In some cases web pages loaded faster on the 6S. Plus the intentional delay after clicking the home button that was introduced in the 7 makes it feel slower and laggier.

After about 5 minutes the home button feels like an improvement to someone that doesn't like the lack of physical buttons, I'm talking about me btw. Further the first day (4-6 hours) your phone is downloading so many different settings....carrier/location/updates and so forth which makes the entire thing a slug. This can also be shown by the heat the phone gives off the first 4-6 hours. The home button "delay", either change the setting where you don't have to push it, or learn that it is a better way to see your notifications before so quickly being sent to the home screen like our 6S's did (unless you're one of those amazing folk that has already taught yourself to wake with the power/wake button and in that case you should be able to learn how to use the new home button real quick like)

-Marginal at best camera improvements

Don't care about the camera, but I have heard it is good i.e. the 6S + camera in the 7 and rave reviews about the monsters camera. Since you do care, and probably know more about cameras than I do, I will give this one to you sir/ma'am.

-Weird home button that doesn't work unless pressed with bare skin (no more gloves).

Just like 9 years ago when we discovered how hard it was to use our iPhones in the cold temps, I am sure that we will understand how to overcome this obstacle now, unless you are one of those dudes that wears leather gloves all the time with a suit....OH OR A LIMO DRIVER! What I mean is that, when the time comes, the same winter gloves you bought last year at Costco (love them so much) to use with your phones screen will also work with the button.

-Legitimate concerns about the lack of sapphire (lower quality materials)

Yeah after seeing that vid.....I am shocked how easily the "sapphire" areas scratched. I am amazed at the resilience of the matte black and shocked at how bad the jet black starts to look horrible.

And for all this what do you get in return?

-No headphone jack.
-A digital audio jack
-A water resistant phone (unheard of with apple)
-Better starting/topping storage
-A "stereo" speaker that actually makes since because now you have volume up not just out
-More battery
-Another amp for speakers
-I'm tired of typing

What do you not get (where you should have taken this thread)
-Wireless charging option
-Stylus that can fit inside body of phone (not that important)
-A third speaker where the audio jack used to be
-A camera that is flush
-A thinner phone, I don't want it thinner but if you took out the thickest component (audio jack) why not right?
-A iPhone plus size screen in the body of a regular 7 (edge to edge and all that jazz)
-A backlit apple (always wanted this on my phone for some reason)

Anyway I think you understand at this point that there was way better points and opinions (even though they are your own) you could have brought to this argument.

No thanks, Apple

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
So do you think that 6s owners are the only people Apple was targeting with the new 7? or do you think there might be others?
That's neither here nor there. The OP is about his 6S compared to the 7. His experience. That is what his thread is about. Don't try to make it any more than that. Nobody said that RAZR owner won't find the iPhone 7 amazing.

angrytoothbrush

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Wow. Drooling like Chris Brown at a women's UFC match over the backlit apple idea.

"It serves no purpose, and absolutely drains my battery... but I sure do love a glowin' apple logo"
-Ricky Bobby

Reactions: oftheheavens

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
The OP gives valid arguments for his personal situation and instead of whining about it and putting down the money, he actually returned the item and sticks to what works more comfortable.

That people then come in and have to judge the OP and jump on him for doing so, is indeed silly - to say the least. I think it's fair game, it's the Internet. But it says more about those posters than it does about the OP.

For those reasons you mentioned, I didn't upgrade right now. I didn't put down the full amount just to get it and then compromise the way I use my phone right now. There's indeed a small bump on some features. But it's not like I go from a 5mp to 12mp camera. I will go from a OIS 12mp camera to.. the same one with tiny bit newer tech that I won't notice.

The yellow screen is a matter of just returning it and getting a good version. If they refuse to do so, then we get our money. Plain and simple.

The other arguments like gloves etc simply depends on your situation. Must suck if you ride a bike and wear gloves and can use the 6s+ but the 7+ no longer works in your favour. I can imagine that being a reason in that case.

If you jump on someone, at least be considerate of the person and come with some constructive feedback instead of just showing why we hate youtube comments.
These are all opinions. Neither right or wrong. They may be based on truth, or misconception. Never the less for each individual they are true in their own mind.

People will disagree but trying to convince someone else you are right and they are wrong is what leads to such anger and nastiness.

Don't be offended when someone else thinks you are full of it. You probably are, and so are they from your perspective.

macfan406

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I think the 7 Plus is a bigger improvement over the 6s Plus as opposed to the 7 and 6. I completely agree with the statements made here about that, but I feel like when I get my phone it'll feel like a more substantial upgrade; being the Plus model.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Cough. Cough. Yea right...

Tomorrow are you going to talk about the time you had coffee with Tim Cook?
When I spoke with Tim earlier today, he told me he was shining you on all this time. We had a pretty good chuckle over how gullible you have been. Sorry to break it to you, but I thought you should know.
[doublepost=1474155157][/doublepost]
Guys like you say this every year. Guess what? There were warm 6S screens too. So if they did it last year, how could you have a cool screen 6S? BTW, they also "intentionally made the screen closer to 6500K" on the 3GS, the 4, the 4S, the 5, the 5S, and the 6. And yet they didn't, did they. Cause people have had cool screened versions of those phones every year to compare the new "warmer" phones to. Just like you have a cool 6S.
[doublepost=1474138334][/doublepost]

Its clear you won't believe anything I say on the issue, plus its not relevant to the discussion, so no more replies for you. Good day.
Funny how people want white screens and black phones.
[doublepost=1474155594][/doublepost]
Issue is some don't like feeling stupid for wasting money and having people show them this.
Head over to Samsung forum, there a whole lot of people feeing stupid and wasting their money on Note 7 right now.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I think people need to keep in mind the 2 year cycle. For me, it was obvious from the start that the iPhone 7 is NOT for 6S owners. If you have a 6S, you will most likely not be very impressed with the 7 (as we see with the OP).

On the other hand, if your coming from a 6 (or 5S in the case of the cute girl standing in front of me at the Apple store line), then the iPhone 7 is definitely a proper upgrade.

Reactions: comptr and CraigGB

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Display variance has always been an issue with iPhone suppliers/manufacturing. It isn't glue drying. It isn't only the first batch, though I would imagine that, if Apple is using multiple suppliers, that once the demand slows down, they can use the better supplier more exclusively.

Attached is a photo of the two iPhone 6 in my house. Both were purchased about 9 months after launch. Both are the same exact model purchased at the same store on the same day. Both are over a year old and have been heavily used. Photo was taken on a 5D mark iv DSLR with white balance calibrated to 6500k using a neutral gray card.

There is clearly a difference between the two. As a photographer, the phone on the left is far more accurate color-wise. In fact, it is nearly a perfect match to my calibrated studio monitors. The phone on the right is too cool AND heavily shifted toward magenta (which will give the phone on the left the appearance that it is shifted toward green).

The annoying thing about taking this side by side just now is that the more correct phone on the left (my phone) is noticeably softer than the right, where text is tack sharp. So there is yet another difference in the panels.

I was one of the people that had a scuffed iPhone 5 out of the box many years ago. Apple let me keep the original when they sent a replacement. When the replacement arrived the display was far more cool than the scuffed model. But beyond that, the replacement had a significantly worse color gamut. Colors were washed out and highlights blew out to pure white when the other phone still showed detail in those areas. I kept the scuffed phone as the replacement was inferior in every way.

So, not to complicate things, but be on the lookout for differences in color temperature, sharpness, and color gamut differences.

As there get to be fewer and fewer features that can be added to distinguish new models, I always hoped Apple would push toward greater consistency. You can't tout these huge advancements in display quality if the displays are so varied. I remember them touting the cameras used to cut the glass parts of the iPhone 5 to ensure a perfect fit. I think it's time they put that attention to detail into factory calibration of every screen that goes out the door. Relatively cheap ASUS ProArt monitors come with a factory calibration report in the box.

With no way to calibrate iOS displays ourselves, a factory calibration would be better than nothing and prevent a lot of returns from people playing a panel lottery.

But most people simply do not notice or care. For instance, it absolutely blows my mind that high end TVs are not factory calibrated. TVs have one job... accurately displaying content. Yet there isn't a single TV on the market that comes close to accurate on any preset out of the box. Factory calibration can't replace true and regular calibration in your environment, but it's so much better than what you get out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 198

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
After just 18 hours and 2 different iPhone 7's I have just returned the 7 and gone back to the 6S.

As of right now, the 7 is not a superior phone to the 6S in my opinion, for the following reasons:

-Yellow screens. This is a problem every year when they change the display. The good screens will come back in a few months. I think this has something to do with the manufacturing process of IPS displays. A residue is deposited for the first few million. In a month or so, the clear blue screens will return. This isn't glue, intentional, more correct, or any other BS reason we hear every year. Its a defect of the manufacturing process. 2 iPhone 7's I got both had vastly inferior screens to my 6S, even after color profile/tint correction. Contrast, clarity, and brightness all worse than the 6S.

-No noticeable speed increases. I put the phones next to each other and tried my hardest to make the 7 run faster. It didn't. In some cases web pages loaded faster on the 6S. Plus the intentional delay after clicking the home button that was introduced in the 7 makes it feel slower and laggier.

-Marginal at best camera improvements

-Weird home button that doesn't work unless pressed with bare skin (no more gloves).

-Legitimate concerns about the lack of sapphire (lower quality materials)

And for all this what do you get in return?

-No headphone jack.

No thanks, Apple

You Da Man, have set this Forum on Fire that and the other Retruned my iPhone thread on here are OVER 15,000 Views that's Viral for this an any other forums in less than 24 hours. You Hot a Nerve that can't be Un hit.

#1. Owners of 6s and 6s Plus you have a Superior device stay put
#2. People with 5s and old 6 and 6 Plus, The 7 is a good device.
#3. There is little to no reason to get Excited for. 7 or 7 Plus if you own a 6s Plus

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
Good on you OP. I suggest the Note 7. They've fixed the battery issue (exploding phones).. and they should be in stores next week.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I'm confused about one of your statements. You said that the iPhone 7 isn't as bright as the 6s, yet apple's website says it is 25% brighter than what I assume is the 6s and 6s plus screens.

Correct and that is an issue in another thread that many posters, including myself, have been discussing. Irrespective of the "yellow tint," many iPhone 7 users have noticed that the screen is not as bright or just as bright as the 6 and 6s. This is odd considering what Apple stated during the presentation as well as what it states on its very own website (which you attached as an example). Hope that clears up the confusion.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Correct and that is an issue in another thread that many posters, including myself, have been discussing. Irrespective of the "yellow tint," many iPhone 7 users have noticed that the screen is not as bright or just as bright as the 6 and 6s. This is odd considering what Apple stated during the presentation as well as what it states on its very own website (which you attached as an example). Hope that clears up the confusion.
What Apple neglected to say is that all the extra brightness is only available When in Auto Mode and you are in direct sunlight.

Same as my Note 5 FYI. You can set it to Max Brightness manually and it's ok, But if you are in Direct Sunlight and switch to AUTO Brightness, The Brightness Jumps Up 20% More that is NOT available Manually.

Same with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
What Apple neglected to say is that all the extra brightness is only available When in Auto Mode and you are in direct sunlight.

Same as my Note 5 FYI. You can set it to Max Brightness manually and it's ok, But if you are in Direct Sunlight and switch to AUTO Brightness, The Brightness Jumps Up 20% More that is NOT available Manually.

That is interesting. I never have auto brightness selected, but even with it not selected, I have noticed that the brightness level changes, but it doesn't necessarily change with the intensity of light around me, e.g., direct sunlight. I wonder if it is a software glitch that is actually has the phone in some auto brightness despite not having the setting selected.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
That is interesting. I never have auto brightness selected, but even with it not selected, I have noticed that the brightness level changes, but it doesn't necessarily change with the intensity of light around me, e.g., direct sunlight. I wonder if it is a software glitch that is actually has the phone in some auto brightness despite not having the setting selected.

With Auto Brightness off iPhones absolutely still change brightness when playing videos. Usually, this crushes the highlights in the videos, which looks terrible. For about 1 second after pushing play you'll see the proper dynamic range of the video, then the auto brightness kicks in and compresses the highlights as the screen dims. Don't know if it is still like that on the 7, but introducing a wider gamut display when you also compress dynamic range of video content to save battery life is just one thing cancelling the other out.

I'd say everything above 85ire (100 being pure white and 0 being black) gets pushed down to 85ire as the screen dims.

So say you had a snowy and bright scene where some snow was 70 brightness, brighter highlights in the snow were 85, and some small areas were glistening at 95... once the auto dimming on videos kicks in, those glistening areas would just blend in with the other highlights and look no different, making for a less interesting looking scene.

You could compare it to very bad MP3 compression where cymbals lose their sparkle and don't sound any "brighter" than other parts of the song. Apple does this to all video content just to dim the screen and increase battery life benchmarks.

I had two android phones a while back. They did it MUCH worse. I couldn't deal with it.

But I do wish Apple would let us turn this off and take the battery hit. It's very hard to see a video in sunlight.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I may get another 7 when the good screens return, but you're kidding yourself if you think the screens shipping right now are in any way better than the 6S. These are the same low quality launch screens that ship every year. I've seen these screens a thousand times, on my 3GS, my 4S, my 5, my 5S, etc. My 6 and 6S were fine (though many got bad 6 screens, I got lucky that year I guess), but now we are back to bad launch screens. Sad.
I don't doubt that there may be yellow screens, but there is no chance that the manufacturing of displays has had a defect that takes 3 months before it "works itself out" for the past 10 years.

Reactions: sunking101

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

My iPhone 5s and 6s both at 50% brightness were acceptable to me during the course of the day for whatever I was doing. No way with the iPhone 7, it is ridiculously darker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.