Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bromda

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
I sold my iPad 2 32gb for $500 and I did not include the smart cover....now that's a good deal lol

dabomb1188

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
I have been unable to sell my 9 month old one for $400. And that includes a PS screen protector and Tucano case.

I just sold my iPad 1 (64gb +3g) with a leather case on CL for $350. I was up front with the buyer that it has a scratch on the screen and occasionally picks up phantom input. I thought that was a pretty good deal-- especially since AMEX extended warranty already gave me $440 for the quoted price of the repair which they don't actually require you to have done.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I don't think that's true but feel free to provide facts to back that statement that Apple cut the price of the iPad 1 and sold it new (not refurbished) for $400. I don't remember Apple ever doing that for any product following an update.

yes, there were still iPad 1's in stores when the iPad 2 was released, not to mention all of the people who bought iPads the 2 weeks up to the iPad 2 release.

I got an iPad 1 for $400 brand new after the iPad 2 was released for a family member.

The people who picked up an ipad right before the second was released were given $100 back.

Look it up yourself if you don't believe him, but he is 100% correct.

Not hard to imagine a product dropping $100 in value when the next generation is released. How much do you expect people to pay for tech that's a year old and has already been replaced?

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
AL
I just posted mine up on CL to see what happens. I just don't know if i'm ready to give my my jailbreak for the new iPad. Who know if or when a jailbreak will come out for the iPad 3.... I suspect it will be quite some time.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
My iPad's home button wasn't always working, so I took it to the genius bar. They replaced it. I wasn't going to sell this early, but I left it in the plastic wrap and listed on eBay. Yesterday I got about $465 for it. 16gb+wifi.

iPad 3 can't come soon enough. Hopefully it stays at $499.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I recently got my 16gb wifi replaced at the Genius bar (came in some brown box) so I decided to sell it as new on CL. someone is willing to buy for $420. is it a good price?

It's not new, and that would be fraud.

----------

So let's say that a 16GB Wifi iPad 2 is currently worth around $400.

What are we looking at in terms of the next few weeks? I'm just trying to figure out when I should sell. Guesses?

Today = $400
2/29 - Invites For iPad 3 Event Go Out =$320
3/7 - iPad 3 Announced = $275
3/16 - iPad 3 Released = $250

That's what I'm predicting. I think that this is the year that Apple will keep the iPad 2 around at a lower price, so sell now.

----------

amazing the supply and demand swing on these things.....

On December 21st I sold my iPad 1.....yes....1st Gen iPad 16GB for $460+$15 for shipping....

Either your buyer is unbelievably stupid, or you're exaggerating.

----------

I don't think that's true but feel free to provide facts to back that statement that Apple cut the price of the iPad 1 and sold it new (not refurbished) for $400. I don't remember Apple ever doing that for any product following an update.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/02/first-generation-ipad-prices-reduced-by-100/ You could have just google searched this to avoid making a false claim.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

I can understand being skeptical, here's the MacRumors announcement of it (easily Googled).

First-Generation iPad Prices Reduced by $100

With the announcement of the iPad 2 at a media event today, Apple has reduced prices on first-generation iPad models in its online store. The new prices are available through a special clearance page. Each model has been reduced by $100, bringing the price for the entry level 16 GB Wi-Fi-only iPad to $399 and the most expensive 64 GB Wi-Fi + 3G model down to $729 from its original price of $829.

Refurbished first-generation iPads are also currently available at the time of this post, offering prices even lower than the clearance levels. A refurbished 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad 1 is priced at $349, while a refurbished 64 GB Wi-Fi + 3G iPad 1 is $659. Refurbished iPads are available in Apple's U.S. online store here.​

Also, AT&T slashed prices with 3G models at $200 off:
AT&T Slashes Prices on First-Generation 3G iPads to $429-$529

Yep, 16GB 3G ipad1's for $429 and 64GB or 32GB 3G units for $529.

Last edited:

lovespicyfood

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Considering selling my IPad2 32gb wifi. Going to take it to the Apple store this weekend because my Smart Cover has a magnet showing through and I have a minor scratch on my IPad. Thinking they will replace the Smart Cover and perhaps the IPad?!

Will sell the unit with hopefully new Smart Cover, used GreatShield and perhaps new IPad...if not, great condition IPad with transferable AppleCare warranty until 2014.

Think I can get over $500 for it?

Pete

----------

Forgot to add...IMHO, I think the Ipad3 memories will be doubled (32gb base) because programs will need more memory with a high resolution display. Also, even if they do not get rid of the Ipad2, I believe they will surely reduce pricing by $100 to clear inventory.

I think it is quite possible they will keep the Ipad2 around at $399 base to compete a bit with the Kindle Fire....

Pete

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I can understand being skeptical, here's the MacRumors announcement of it (easily Googled).

First-Generation iPad Prices Reduced by $100

That's crazy. I understand other retailers slashing prices to get rid of stock but I don't see the reasoning behind Apple doing it. I always wished they would do that for their iPods.

----------

IMHO, I think the Ipad3 memories will be doubled (32gb base) because programs will need more memory with a high resolution display.

Everyone is getting an amazing deal for their iPads if they do that. I sold my iPad 2 32gb for $450, expecting to pay $150 to upgrade. It would blow my mind if Apple double storage and I only had to pay $50 instead.

terrywfoster

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Sold my white 32GB wifi for $475 on my facebook. Took 20 mins. I dropped it off at her work Friday. She told me she'd pay me now and I could keep it till the 3 came out but I didn't want to do that to her.

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
My iPad's home button wasn't always working, so I took it to the genius bar. They replaced it. I wasn't going to sell this early, but I left it in the plastic wrap and listed on eBay. Yesterday I got about $465 for it. 16gb+wifi.

iPad 3 can't come soon enough. Hopefully it stays at $499.

Yeah, I am desperately missing mine. I have been using my husband's touchpad which is now running ice cream sandwich and it's driving me crazy!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.