Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Apple hasn't even warned us about the firmware issue. There is no indication whatsoever that if you install this through the mac app store, your firmware will be updated!

In absence of such warning it is prudent to proceed with caution.

If you would rather install it without the firmware update you can use the direct links method in the thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1830603/

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
UpDate!

I tried to install 10.10.2 this morning and all went well. I guess whatever was disallowing my mac to boot through has been fixed up. Oddly, it did ask me to set up the iMac passwords for ID and iCloud, which I don't remember any of the betas ever requesting. All is good. Firmware is 14C81h

By the way I used the App store method.

Milltek

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
U.S. Northeast
I have a mid 2010 27" iMac and a late 2010 13" Macair and both installed no problems. Both updates were 519Mb. What size is the combined OS X & firmware update?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Here are all file sizes.

The public beta patch file and delta are very similar file sizes (literally 6 bytes difference - interesting that the patch is bigger than the delta, something very rare because the patch is usually less than the delta)

FirmwareUpdate.pkg (46.7 MB)

OSXUpd10.10.2PublicSeed.pkg (delta) (472 MB) (more accurately 471,977,370 bytes)

OSXUpd10.10.2PublicSeedPatch.pkg (patch) (472 MB) (more accurately 471,977,376 bytes)

OSXUpdCombo10.10.2PublicSeed.pkg (combo) (741.7 MB)

For most people the most likely scenario is that the delta and firmware update were downloaded and installed, explaining your 519MB=472MB+46.7MB.

Last edited:

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I'm having MAJOR wifi problems after updating to 10.10.2 on my late-2013 rMBP. It was fine for a few days but all of a sudden it started to disconnect from wifi 5 seconds after I connect to it and load a page in Safari. So annoying!! :( It's definitely the beta having problems since wifi is working fine on my iPad and phone. Restarting the computer twice didn't help, still disconnecting every few seconds.

Abba1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
This was a Beta release, they can be expected to have some issues and are only released to those users who subscribe to them. They should not be used by average Joe's just to get a new release early.

Some of the issues will affect installation no doubt but Apple developer's won't intentionally release code that simply won't install, it will have hit some circumstance that prevented installation but isn't handled (yet) by the software.

If it scares you, simply don't subscribe to the Beta programme, and have a good backup strategy, Beta or not, and software update should be treated that it can have/cause issues and need to be reversed.

You are absolutely correct. With the exception of developers, who need to update their own apps or programs, nobody is forced to take part in a Beta program. People who are unwilling to take the risk should wait for the full release of any operating system. There is nothing wrong with doing so.

muttsrule

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
Using Yosemite Beta (10.10.2) and iPods won’t sync

I installed 10.10.2 on my mid-2011 iMac and now none of my iPods appear in iTunes, although they do appear on my desktop. My iPhone 5s does appear in iTunes, so I am able to sync that.

Before I installed 10.10.2, all of my iPods synced (80 and 160gb Classics, three Nanos, several Shuffles).

Any ideas? Can I reinstall iTunes, or, because I am using Yosemite Beta, would reinstalling the iTunes version available on the Apple website not be advisable?

Thanks.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Is it me or do these Yosemite betas seem to be constantly getting worse and more dangerous to fool with? And no one has yet answered what the firmware update is for?

Not So New Guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
I installed 10.10.2 on my mid-2011 iMac and now none of my iPods appear in iTunes, although they do appear on my desktop. My iPhone 5s does appear in iTunes, so I am able to sync that.

Before I installed 10.10.2, all of my iPods synced (80 and 160gb Classics, three Nanos, several Shuffles).

Any ideas? Can I reinstall iTunes, or, because I am using Yosemite Beta, would reinstalling the iTunes version available on the Apple website not be advisable?

Thanks.

FYI, same thing happened to me. Restored back to 10.10.1 on TimeMachine with CMD-R after others were reporting this issue elsewhere.

Will hold off upgrading to 10.10.2 until AFTER the iPod syncing issue is confirmed to be fixed.

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks.

Same here with a nano 7G: beta bug...

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2011
I thought Time Machine only allows you to restore folders...does it restore the entire system too? How do I do that? Sorry, Time Capsule noob here.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks.
Wow. I thought it was just me experiencing this. Glad everyone is getting the same bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.