Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I said the same thing for my previous one and i did/do but the screen/latch issues caused a divorce.

With my new one, i've examined it everyday but have no choice but to give it an overall thumbs up. Its solidly built, latching is pretty darn good. No warps or anything like that.

Screen is absolutely gorgeous, i dont think i can buy a matte screen again...well maybe i can. No heat issues, i continualy use this thing on my lap with no discomfort at all. Fans do a pretty good job. Temps rarely exceed 70 deg at maximum CPU use and idle between 48-50.

I was skeptical of the drive at first because it wasn't a matshita but its actually pretty good. Sufficiently fast at burning DVDs and quiet for the most part.

Speed. This thing flies and the 2GB RAM even enhances. iTunes encode at 33x, chews 1080p out with no sweat. Decent cinebench scores. Overall a pretty speedy system.

However, its not perfect in true perfection. First off, the fans, they come on alot more often. Even safari causes them to come on when doing something CPU intensive as well as iTunes. It's not a huge problem for me because i'd rather have a cool system with some fan noise than a quiet toaster.

Second, i just wish the displaying opening angle was a tad larger. Im tall and find myself hunching alot to get a good view which is ultimately bad posture. To remedy this i try and use it on a raised surface as often as possible.

Third, whenever im using the computer and i suddenly move it, i hear a whirring sound coming from the HDD like its struggling to maintain rotatory speed. Never heard this before, but i assume its normal. HDDs hate sudden motions afterall.

Overall i am happy and this looks like a keeper and i hope it stays this way and not force me to pay Apple stores a visit for at least the next 2 years...if i keep it that long.

By the way its a 15" MBP - 2.16/2GB/120GB/Glossy

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Second, i just wish the displaying opening angle was a tad larger. Im tall and find myself hunching alot to get a good view which is ultimately bad posture. To remedy this i try and use it on a raised surface as often as possible.

Congratulations, I'm glad you like it! :)

With respect to this issue, I don't know how long you've been using notebook computers, and I don't know how tall tall is, but... one thing you might try if you have sufficient desk space is to push the notebook about 16-18" away from you on the desk. In this way, the natural rotation of your arms at the elbow is closer to wrists parallel (the old "natural keyboards" work this principle in reverse -- if your keyboard is going to be really close to your chest, then your wrists will be far from parallel, and you need the curved kb). You might find this more comfortable...

But more importantly, in this position, you shouldn't need an extreme LCD angle to avoid hunching over.... That's actually why I'm suggesting it at the moment. :)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Congratulations, I'm glad you like it! :)

With respect to this issue, I don't know how long you've been using notebook computers, and I don't know how tall tall is, but... one thing you might try if you have sufficient desk space is to push the notebook about 16-18" away from you on the desk. In this way, the natural rotation of your arms at the elbow is closer to wrists parallel (the old "natural keyboards" work this principle in reverse -- if your keyboard is going to be really close to your chest, then your wrists will be far from parallel, and you need the curved kb). You might find this more comfortable...

But more importantly, in this position, you shouldn't need an extreme LCD angle to avoid hunching over.... That's actually why I'm suggesting it at the moment. :)

Thanx, will try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.