Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Abstract said:
Haha, Ken is in 3rd. Haven't heard that one before! :cool:

There's still 2 days left though... ;) I think everyone bet pretty conservatively in Final Jeopardy, but we'll see if that changes in the next 2 days.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was surprised that Brad was so conservative with his Double Jeopardy! bets. Too soon to land a decisive blow?

I loved the way Ken got started. At one point the score was Jerome $0, Brad -$600, and Ken $2800. Those sound like scores from the Celebrity Jeopardy! skit on Saturday Night Live!

Brad is as good on the buzzer reflexes as Ken, so one of Ken's secret weapons was nullified, or at least equaled.

I thought it was unfair to have a biblical category since it plays into one of Ken's strong suits, but Brad snapped up plenty of those. But the answer about who designed the Difference Engine was totally Ken-centric. A programmer like Ken is sure to know it was Charles Baggage. (And I get a few points too for knowing the question to that one!)

Most impressive: Ken and Brad mastering those Before, During, and After answers before the rest of us could even think them through.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Jeopardy!' Ace Ken Jennings Gets His Own Show

'Jeopardy!' Ace Ken Jennings Gets His Own Show
By DAVID BAUDER, AP

NEW YORK (May 24) - More than pride, a cottage industry may be at stake when "Jeopardy!" ace Ken Jennings takes on two challengers in the game show's $2 million challenge that airs this week.

Comedy Central said Monday it has signed Jennings to be the central figure in a new game show the channel is developing with Michael Davies, the producer behind "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

That goes along with the upcoming board game "Can You Beat Ken?" and the "Quizzology" CD trivia game that he's behind. Oh, and the book Jennings is writing that's due out next year.

So it would probably help if he keeps the mystique going this week.

"We're hoping that he does as well as he's done in the past," said Lauren Corrao, chief of development at Comedy Central.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I hope Ken's show is as good as the Win Ben Stein's Money quiz show was. I liked that show, especially for its kooky style and silly categories. Ken knows lots of trivia, as Ben Stein did, but I can't quite imagine Ken being that entertaining.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacNut said:
'Jeopardy!' Ace Ken Jennings Gets His Own Show
By DAVID BAUDER, AP

NEW YORK (May 24) - More than pride, a cottage industry may be at stake when "Jeopardy!" ace Ken Jennings takes on two challengers in the game show's $2 million challenge that airs this week.

Comedy Central said Monday it has signed Jennings to be the central figure in a new game show the channel is developing with Michael Davies, the producer behind "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

That goes along with the upcoming board game "Can You Beat Ken?" and the "Quizzology" CD trivia game that he's behind. Oh, and the book Jennings is writing that's due out next year.

So it would probably help if he keeps the mystique going this week.

"We're hoping that he does as well as he's done in the past," said Lauren Corrao, chief of development at Comedy Central.

This will just be another one of those passing things. 5 Years from now no one will even remember who he is.... ;)

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
Doctor Q said:
But the answer about who designed the Difference Engine was totally Ken-centric. A programmer like Ken is sure to know it was Charles Baggage. (And I get a few points too for knowing the question to that one!)

Negative points, you mean... but points are points, right? ;)

RalfyRojas

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2005
Noce to see Ken completely smash any validity out of those idiotic "blonde" jokes. :)

No, I'm not a blonde, but who doesn't love 'em? :D

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
Doctor Q said:
I thought it was unfair to have a biblical category since it plays into one of Ken's strong suits...
Ah, but today I think we saw one of Ken's weaknesses exposed, as Brad swept through "Guns n' Ammo" with wild abandon as Ken looked on, wondering what hit him :D

Jerome would appear to now be out of contention, but tomorrow's finale should be a classic matchup, we'll see what Ken can do with his back against the wall..

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Doctor Q said:
I hope Ken's show is as good as the Win Ben Stein's Money quiz show was. I liked that show, especially for its kooky style and silly categories. Ken knows lots of trivia, as Ben Stein did, but I can't quite imagine Ken being that entertaining.

What really made that was Ben's dry dead pan style combined with Jimmy Kimmel being outrageously rude. Ken's funny and cute but you can't really play raunch against it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
shambolic said:
Ah, but today I think we saw one of Ken's weaknesses exposed, as Brad swept through "Guns n' Ammo" with wild abandon as Ken looked on, wondering what hit him :D

Jerome would appear to now be out of contention, but tomorrow's finale should be a classic matchup, we'll see what Ken can do with his back against the wall..

Yes, I too am looking forward to tomorrow's finale!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Kmacripple said:
The Jeopardy finale episode just aired here. I am not sure if I should post the result yet. So if you haven't seen it stop reading.

That wasn't exactly the most effective Spoiler alert - at least put something like that in white text next time, so people can highlight it if they want to read it. Hitting Enter 3 times isn't exactly a good way to keep people from reading things, intentionally or inadvertantly. :p :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Doctor Q said:
I thought it was unfair to have a biblical category since it plays into one of Ken's strong suits...
I think you are wrong, Doctor Q. Oh wait, that's me. This time, Ken didn't get the question to the answer about the alphabetically last apostle. On the other hand, I had the feeling he knew a lot of the answers but that Brad is winning based on athletic skill - the ability to hit the buzzer before Ken does.

The answers did seem harder than average. A few had everyone stumped. My wife gets the points this time, for knowing the question "what is greenstick?" when none of the three contestants did. I think Alex said he hadn't known that one either.

Best moment: Watching the gears in Ken's brain spin as he produced the correct question "troglodyte" in the Crossword 'T' category.

I was feeling a bit sorry for Jerome, since he seems to be watching the others zip by him, but then I remembered that he's already won lots of money and will win at least $250,000 tonite, even if he just stands there and whistles until it's over. Not a bad day's pay.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Well, it's over, and Brad Rutter has proven why he was the previous high money winner and why he will continue to be until another Ken Jennings comes along. Good job, Brad! Better luck next time, Ken. Jerome, I don't think you ever had a shot. :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
It was good to see that this was not another Ken Jennings run-away, and that Brad gave him some great competition. Brad deserved to win in my books - and now, ironically, he has ousted Ken from holding the record of biggest winner on a game show!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
~Shard~ said:
Brad deserved to win in my books - and now, ironically, he has ousted Ken from holding the record of biggest winner on a game show!
I assume that they set the dollar amounts with that in mind.

I admire Brad. He knew fact after fact after fact, never lost his poise, and showed good humor (unlike Jerome, who seemed to get a little less personable as his chances faded). Ken had his chances when Brad didn't buzz in, but wasn't up to the task.

Now that computer-programmer-hero Ken has missed his chance to be The Greatest, I can no longer claim that we programmers are a superior lifeform. I'll guess I'll just crawl back in my hole now. :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Doctor Q said:
Ken Jennings must be the best trivia expert around.
Well obviously this is not true, since he lost when faced with real trivia champions.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Doctor Q said:
I can no longer claim that we programmers are a superior lifeform. I'll guess I'll just crawl back in my hole now. :(

If it makes you feel any better, I think programmers are a superor life form, and I say that as a lowly copy editor. :eek:

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Lacero said:
Well obviously this is not true, since he lost when faced with real trivia champions.

You say that as if the...shoot, how many shows did he win? He beat over 100 other Jeopardy Competitors, and Jeopardy doesn't put idiots on the show. Don't tell me he didn't play "real trivia champions" for his long run on the show.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
wheezy said:
You say that as if the...shoot, how many shows did he win? He beat over 100 other Jeopardy Competitors, and Jeopardy doesn't put idiots on the show. Don't tell me he didn't play "real trivia champions" for his long run on the show.

He played real trivia champions on the show, sure, and countless times as you point out - however he obviously never played the best real trivia champions... ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
~Shard~ said:
He played real trivia champions on the show, sure, and countless times as you point out - however he obviously never played the best real trivia champions... ;)

Not necessarily True. He just obviously never beat the best real trivia champion (no plural)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.