Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I tried to instal OS X 10.4 and when it restart look what happened!

kernal_panic.jpg

Everytime I try to reset I get this same thing. Is there anything that I can do?

P-Worm

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Wow, old school kernel panic! Are you reformatting? Is it a retail version of Tiger? What do you have plugged in and how far along the install process did you get? Sorry for all the questions, but hopefully we'll get this sorted. :)

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
mad jew said:
Wow, old school kernel panic! Are you reformatting? Is it a retail version of Tiger? What do you have plugged in and how far along the install process did you get? Sorry for all the questions, but hopefully we'll get this sorted. :)

I think I found the mistake. I made it spit out the disk on reboot and it didn't give me that. I think that my problem was that I was using the instal CD that came with my Mac Pro for my old G4. I guess they must have changed the instal process when they moved to Intel. I'll just wait for 10.5 to come out to upgrade that computer.

P-Worm

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
P-Worm said:
I think that my problem was that I was using the instal CD that came with my Mac Pro for my old G4. I guess they must have changed the instal process when they moved to Intel.
The mac pro disc is for an Intel Machine. Your G4 isn't an intel machine so it totally won't work.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Even if the discs were from a modern PPC machine they wouldn't work and it would be a violation of the EULA if they did. The licence for bundled Apple software applies only to the machine it came with. Also, Apple now makes sure you cannot install an OS from one machine onto another via firmware checks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.