Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBroMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
I have recently upgraded my G3 700MHz with 768MB RAM iMac to OS 10.4.2

Now, generally things run well for what I want it to do - Firefox, Adium, iTunes and Mail most of the time. However earlier on I got a message in several languages stating I had to restart the machine.

That went ok, however now Mail is asking me to key in my account details again - and I have multiple accounts and mailboxes and stuff to sort out.

Is there any way to recover the previous state Mail was in, and does this crash for no real reason (a la Microsoft) represent a severe problem with my computer?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
BigBroMan said:
Is there any way to recover the previous state Mail was in, and does this crash for no real reason (a la Microsoft) represent a severe problem with my computer?

A kernel panic doesn't happen for no real reason, usually it comes down to bad hardware, or a dodgy driver somewhere, or an app trying to access something it can't/shouldn't.

Check out the panic.log for more info, and you might want to post a bit more info about what happened.

What were you doing at the time, did you do a clean install, archive and install, an upgrade?

You might want to check out this link: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html and google for os x panic.log

BigBroMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
Update

I took a look in that log, thanks for that.

From what I read there - the problem arises from a USB device. Now when I used to have a PC, I used a USB ADSL modem which crashed regularly.

I was using Panther for a while and had no problems at all. It has been since using Tiger that these things have happened [well, twice].

I will need to check my ISP's website for latest modem drivers - hopefully that will sort this problem out, but I do know that USB ADSL modems are not the best. It is my only option for now.

The only confusing part that remains now is how do I get my bloody email account settings back. I cannot suss out why I am being asked for all that stuff over again. :confused:

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
The Mail problem is strange - and I can only think the crash has corrupted something.

First of all, take a backup of ~/Library/Mail - zip it up and store it somewhere safe.
Now move the Mail folder to your desktop, and open up Mail.app again - and fill in your account details.
Now try going to File>Import, and select the Mail folder on your desktop.

With a bit of luck, you'll get the messages back - and just have to re-input your settings.

OS upgrades can often cause problems a bit like this - so I'd try reinstalling the drivers for your USB modem - but I'd strongly recommend an ADSL ethernet modem/router.

BigBroMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
andysmith

Thanks I'll try that. I'll post back how I got on for others who are in the same boat. :)

BigBroMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
andysmith said:
The Mail problem is strange - and I can only think the crash has corrupted something.

First of all, take a backup of ~/Library/Mail - zip it up and store it somewhere safe.
Now move the Mail folder to your desktop, and open up Mail.app again - and fill in your account details.
Now try going to File>Import, and select the Mail folder on your desktop.

With a bit of luck, you'll get the messages back - and just have to re-input your settings.

OS upgrades can often cause problems a bit like this - so I'd try reinstalling the drivers for your USB modem - but I'd strongly recommend an ADSL ethernet modem/router.

OK I couldn't get it the Mail way, but I exported items from Entourage and now we are getting there.

Thankfully there were no recent, important, emails.

I take the point on USB modems.... need to sort that situation out asap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.