Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Hey everyone,
I have an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard hooked up to my Powerbook. Today, when I brought my computer out of sleep, certain keys on it seemed to have stopped working. It only is on certain keys in a group (space bar, the O key, the K key, the L key, etc) that are arranged next to each other. I'm worried it may be a problem with the circuit. Right now I have it sitting upside down with the batteries out, thinking maybe some water got in or something. Any ideas?

Please help!
Sean, who is woeful that today both his Keyboard, Chair, and Doors CD broke :(

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
First- determin if it was water.
If not, then try new batteries.

I have cleaned many an electronic device douced with water and worse. Last month I cleaned chili and coke off (and out of) to audio control pads at work. I have a set of steps that I do to clean such devices, but I don't want to post them unless you really think your keyboard is suffering form some sort of liquid problem.

Post Script: If you spill coke or chili on an electronic componet, at least tell somebody. If you spill in one of my recording booths I will not be angry unless you ignore the problem. Venting to a soundless room.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I did get some water on it, but it was something I cleaned off right away. There was nothing left when I tried it again. I know its not the batteries, since they are only a few days old and most of the keys still work.

What steps did you take?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
MacFan25863 said:
I did get some water on it, but it was something I cleaned off right away. There was nothing left when I tried it again. I know its not the batteries, since they are only a few days old and most of the keys still work.

What steps did you take?

If you spilled something on it, you're probably SOL. I'd call Apple and get it replaced under warranty if its new. Just leave out the spilling water on it part.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
rickvanr said:
If you spilled something on it, you're probably SOL. I'd call Apple and get it replaced under warranty if its new. Just leave out the spilling water on it part.

It was a very small amount, no more than 3 tablespoons. I've spilled that much on it before, to no effect. I've had it since March, and I don't think I have the reciept or box anymore...

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
MacFan25863 said:
It was a very small amount, no more than 3 tablespoons. I've spilled that much on it before, to no effect. I've had it since March, and I don't think I have the receipt or box anymore...

Perhaps a cumulative effect.

OK, it is likely that you don't want to strip the whole thing down to it's bare bones, but if nothing else works (warranty) etc, then try the following.

Materials, DI (deionized) water, 91% or better isopropyl alcohol- 99% is better. Good cotton swabs (Q-tips), a towel, and silicon spray lube(optional).

If the keys don't come back to life, you can try the easy way and then the hard way to bring the contacts back to life.

The easy way. Is to soak the whole keyboard in DI water for a bit, making sure to get the whole thing soaked, and then to do the same with a few rinses of anhydrous alcohol. 91% or better isopropyl alcohol will actually desiccate (remove the water) from your skin.

The hard way is to take the thing apart and isolate your cleaning to areas that might have been affected.

Always use DI water (distilled is good) and finish wish the alcohol. Use a ventilated space and make sure that you let the thing dry!

The cleaning technique has worked for me for ages. It doesn’t always revive keyboards, but it has worked a number of times, especially on pc boards.

Good luck, and remember do this only if you have too. Really for a hundred bucks (59$ at overstock.com) it might not be worth the effort.

As always, follow safety precautions, and remember not to pet a burning dog while your working with flammable liquids and vapors.

Oh, the silicon spray is to be applied lightly to moving parts. Test to make sure it dosn't eat away at the plastic.

Apple Pro wireless keyboard at overstock.com.

Think about time and cost. Cleaning supplies 10-20$ + your time, and it may not work. New keyboard 49$.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Ouch...I'm only 15, so I don't think I would be able to do that (though I have used far more hazardous things in Chemistry...)

I'm gonna let it sit out, see if time will fix anything...if not I may just have to buy a new one, which sucks since I'm pretty much broke.

Thanks anyway,
Sean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.