Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
i am looking at getting a keyboard and wanted to know others feedback on them and see which one everyone likes best?

I will be using it primarily in school or just on the go when I have to do some quick word, or excel workbooks.

So I am looking at either the apple smart keyboard, Logitech create keyboard case, or the ZAGG slim book?

I mainly use my pencil to take all notes so it will only be if I am typing papers primarily or just messing around with coding on it

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I have a red Logitech Keys To Go, featherlight and has shortcuts and is spill-proof, no backlighting but but great in every other way, and a fraction of the price of Apple's ridiculously expensive keyboard .. I also wouldn't buy a keyboard at that price that has no backlighting, and with a screen the size of the IPad Pro I don't want the keyboard that close to the iPad and at one fixed angle. I use a simple stand that is solid but portable, for writing, and just prop it at a suitable angle with Smart Cover for other things.

Some like the Logitech Create, others find it too heavy and difficult to remove iPad from the case. I haven't seen the Zagg one yet, but I have a Zagg Pro keyboard case on my iPad 4 and it is excellent - the quality, the backlit keyboard, and never has connection issues.

Depends how you use the iPad, I don't want to cover it up with a plastic case and add weight to it, and I like the keyboard being separate, minimal weight, slips in the back of the messenger bag. Of course this is no good for using on your lap, but I don't use iPads like that anyway. If you do, you will definitely need a case.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I have a red Logitech Keys To Go, featherlight and has shortcuts and is spill-proof, no backlighting but but great in every other way, and a fraction of the price of Apple's ridiculously expensive keyboard .. I also wouldn't buy a keyboard at that price that has no backlighting, and with a screen the size of the IPad Pro I don't want the keyboard that close to the iPad and at one fixed angle. I use a simple stand that is solid but portable, for writing, and just prop it at a suitable angle with Smart Cover for other things.

Some like the Logitech Create, others find it too heavy and difficult to remove iPad from the case. I haven't seen the Zagg one yet, but I have a Zagg Pro keyboard case on my iPad 4 and it is excellent - the quality, the backlit keyboard, and never has connection issues.

Depends how you use the iPad, I don't want to cover it up with a plastic case and add weight to it, and I like the keyboard being separate, minimal weight, slips in the back of the messenger bag. Of course this is no good for using on your lap, but I don't use iPads like that anyway. If you do, you will definitely need a case.

Well I don't have a case for it so I don't mind if it is a case. But I want one made specifically for the iPad pro that I can use and I just can't seem to find them anywhere in store near me to checkout. I want one with backlit keys feature so I wonder if the ZAGG one has that

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I had the Logitech keyboard for a week and returned it. I just didn't like the fixed angle and didn't like how hard it was to remove the iPad Pro. I finally received my Zagg Slim Book yesterday and absolutely love it! It's nice having a case on the back of the iPP when I'm not using the keyboard and it slides right into the hinge when I want to type. Also, another feature that I never saw mentioned before is that it can connect to 3 different devices so you can switch from typing on the iPP to a phone and also to a computer on the fly.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida

I have that Logitech Keys to Go keyboard and it's terrific. It weighs next to nothing and is easy to keep handy in any kind of bag or sleeve. It's just a terrific design.

I thought I would just use it with my iPad Pro with a simple stand I already have.

That said, after using it with the iPP I decided that for my writing needs I wanted a bigger keyboard and also wanted one that could prop up the iPP without a separate stand. I'm in a university environment and for me mobility and light weight are the key factors, so I also want a keyboard that I can easily remove (or leave behind). (So that eliminates the Logitech Create or the Zagg). I also don't want to ALWAYS have a back cover on my iPP (because I want the flexibility to use the iPP with the iSkelter lap desk at home. So yeah, my wish list is starting to get complicated. o_O

So, I ordered the Apple Smart Keyboard. :cool: I did have a chance to use it with my loaner iPP for two weeks and loved it but talked myself out of buying it. Then relented. It's preparing for shipment and due to arrive around February 1.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I just use an old separate apple bluetooth one with mine - not the keyboard case kind just the one that came with an old imac. I like it being separate from the ipp and I use the pencil more.

Last edited:

mguti

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
TX
I use the Logitech keys to go. It works for me as I don't need a keyboard all the time.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I don't do a ton of typing on mine but for basic emails and forum postings.... I find the built in keyboard works amazingly

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I don't do a ton of typing on mine but for basic emails and forum postings.... I find the built in keyboard works amazingly

Yeah, I keep thinking that if I force myself to just use the on screen keyboard, then I will become much faster using it over time. Same goes for using touch instead of a mouse.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Yeah, I keep thinking that if I force myself to just use the on screen keyboard, then I will become much faster using it over time. Same goes for using touch instead of a mouse.
You will end up liking it. I like how you can use two fingers to move the cursor where you need it to edit or add to a paragraph. Pretty much makes a external keyboard a no go for me

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for all of the comments. I wasn't big on the apple keyboard, no backlit keys and whatnot. I also want one to use as a stand while waiting for class to watch Netflix or read my notes.
I am leaning towards the ZAGG but can't come up on a decision since I have no way of testing them.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I will tell you having the Zagg over the weekend now it's much more stable than the Apple or Logitech keyboard. It's also the cheapest of the 3. But yes, it would be nice if it could be bought locally to allow easier testing.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
The one thing i don't like about the external keyboards is that they make the iPad super bulky. the more i use the onscreen keyboard the more i get used to it and actually like the way it works.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
The one thing i don't like about the external keyboards is that they make the iPad super bulky. the more i use the onscreen keyboard the more i get used to it and actually like the way it works.
That's why I like the Smart Keyboard. It's pared down AND easily removeable.

And I just got notice that mine has shipped from Apple and will be here Thursday!

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I had the smart keyboard and took it back. I think it's great don't get me wrong but after typing with the onscreen keyboard so much I found that the oragami-ness of the keyboard just was too much to try and contain all the time

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
I have both the Smart Keyboard and Logitech's Create. I prefer the Smart Keyboard because it's so much thinner. The Create just makes the iPad really thick and heavy, about that of my 15" Pro which negates the portability of the device in the first place.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I will tell you having the Zagg over the weekend now it's much more stable than the Apple or Logitech keyboard. It's also the cheapest of the 3. But yes, it would be nice if it could be bought locally to allow easier testing.

Yeah I hate that there is nowhere to go and view/test any of them. But I have seen the smart keyboard and the logitech keyboard while buying but didn't catch my attention whatsoever, seem very bulky

I can't keep up typing notes in class while typing with the on screen keyboard.

I have both the Smart Keyboard and Logitech's Create. I prefer the Smart Keyboard because it's so much thinner. The Create just makes the iPad really thick and heavy, about that of my 15" Pro which negates the portability of the device in the first place.
Yeah, thats What I wasn't a fan of before with old iPads is the keyboard made it bulky, but I am not too concerned with this as I also have the apple pencil to write notes when needed

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
The Zagg is the heaviest of the 3, right around 4lbs with the iPP installed. But it's very easy to remove and you still have a case on the back of the iPad. This is exactly why I bought it.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
4lbs? Good lord.

I'm curious why they didn't make a smart case without the keyboard option like the air 2?

I know there is the 2 piece silicon setup but is that exactly the same as the smart case for the air 2 and mini?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The Zagg is the heaviest of the 3, right around 4lbs with the iPP installed. But it's very easy to remove and you still have a case on the back of the iPad. This is exactly why I bought it.

I just received my Zagg Slim Book (funny choice of name considering it's pretty damn heavy) and it hits all the boxes I was looking for--good typing experience, includes iPad appropriate function keys, has adjustable viewing angles, and is easily removable. Yes, the keyboard portion is quite heavy but needs to be to allow the iPP to be adjustable in its hinge without tipping over. It would be an issue if the keyboard and iPP were a single piece (like the Logitech Create) but being able to remove the tablet portion near instantly with little effort makes this a non-issue for me personally. The case for the iPP is very light, adding very little to the overall weight when using just the tablet while also offer some protection.

Other features that I find make it an even better experience:

- Backlighting
- Supposedly very long battery life (Zagg claims up to 2 years :eek:). Consider its heft, it's easy to believe it has a substantial sized battery that'll last a while (though I doubt 2 years).
- Pairs with multiple devices---I'll pair it with my iPhone so that in a quick second I could use it to bang out a bit of text.
- The iPP mounts backwards as well so you can use it in what Zagg calls 'Video Mode'--having the screen closest to you while the keyboard acts as the stand/holder

These are only my initial impressions but so far, it's exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
4lbs? Good lord.

I'm curious why they didn't make a smart case without the keyboard option like the air 2?

I know there is the 2 piece silicon setup but is that exactly the same as the smart case for the air 2 and mini?

I agree with you on the 4 lbs part. Might as well get a MacBook. I have to say the Apple Smart Cover and the silicone back cover (while expensive) is the best combo. Looks amazing and keeps the ultimate portability desired in the ipp

Reactions: MacGurl111

Pard

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2016
i am looking at getting a keyboard and wanted to know others feedback on them and see which one everyone likes best?

I will be using it primarily in school or just on the go when I have to do some quick word, or excel workbooks.

So I am looking at either the apple smart keyboard, Logitech create keyboard case, or the ZAGG slim book?

I mainly use my pencil to take all notes so it will only be if I am typing papers primarily or just messing around with coding on it

I have the red Logitech to go with my gold iPad Pro and it is excellent. The keys are perfect, the metal finish utterly compliments the tablet's unibody and the outside "fabric" is funky. Yes it is heavy but the combination is similar to a laptop. It is perfect for typing whilst on a sofa. The only issue is, when folding to use in tablet mode the rear of the iPad touches the metal palm rest of the keyboard. Metal against metal. I have solves this by raiding my Wife's sewing craft box and acquiring a red sheet of felt that was the exact size. I place this over the whole keyboard and this works well. However, unless you are drawing etc, the keyboard is so good that you will be using this combo as the best ever laptop. Hopefully, it won't be too long before Apple unifies its OS or at least introduces features in iOS that enable it to be a true desktop replacement. IOS is simply the best.

mguti

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
TX
I have the red Logitech to go with my gold iPad Pro and it is excellent. The keys are perfect, the metal finish utterly compliments the tablet's unibody and the outside "fabric" is funky. Yes it is heavy but the combination is similar to a laptop. It is perfect for typing whilst on a sofa. The only issue is, when folding to use in tablet mode the rear of the iPad touches the metal palm rest of the keyboard. Metal against metal. I have solves this by raiding my Wife's sewing craft box and acquiring a red sheet of felt that was the exact size. I place this over the whole keyboard and this works well. However, unless you are drawing etc, the keyboard is so good that you will be using this combo as the best ever laptop. Hopefully, it won't be too long before Apple unifies its OS or at least introduces features in iOS that enable it to be a true desktop replacement. IOS is simply the best.

I as well have the red Logitech keys to go. I really wanted the black ones but when I went to purchase them the red was half off. For as little as I use them I figured what the heck! I can live it.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
weight is an illusion:

http://matias.ca/laptoppro/mac/

But seriously, if you're going to be using it to write papers and not much typing on the go, get a keyboard that's comfortable to type on. Even at top speed, papers take a good hour a page. That's a lot of time typing. Get a keyboard that you're comfortable typing on.

And yes, I do own and use the above behemoth. It's the holy grail of Bluetooth keyboards.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
I am using the new Magic Keyboard along with a Pad & Quill Contega thin case. I love the combination. The magic keyboard is small and light enough that it's easy to take with me if I need it. Plus it's perfect to type on. Additionally, using this combo affords me the luxury of not having the keyboard attached to the iPad. I am typing this with the iPad on my recliner arm and the keyboard on my lap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.