Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Does anyone know of a good 3rd party app that lets you browse through/interact with your Keychain?

They made a lot of progress in Ventura with the newer passwords interface in System Preferences, err, System Settings, but there's things missing like Secure Notes and such that you can only get access to through Keychain Access. And Keychain Access looks like it hasn't been touched since 10.4.

Bigger context: I was a MobileMe user back in the day. I used the Keychain Sync feature, and then they removed it, and then eventually brought it back in a different form. After they removed it, I switched over to LastPass for several years, but the price increases and general neglect after the got bought out pushed me to BitWarden.

BitWarden is fine, but the problem is that their browser plugins for both Safari and FireFox eat RAM. Talking several gigs of RAM allocated to those things.

Meanwhile, old Keychain requires no browser plugins, uses probably very little RAM, and integrates so seamlessly with TouchID that I started moving my passwords back. One thing missing is a better way to access/browse through things, especially things like Secure Notes.

I am a developer, so of course I went and looked at the Keychain APIs. But before I hacked anything together, I wanted to see if there's already 3rd party Keychain apps out there. My google search did not yield results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.